FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aleco

Mecha'thun Card Reveal

3e6kujM.png

C'thun has been given the Boomsday treatment! This new Legendary minion can "destroy the enemy hero", but it won't be easy to pull off.

First, we got a card called Flobbidonous Floop. Next, we got a bunny on a pogo stick and a card called Gloop Sprayer. Now, we get Mecha'thun:

636685164584329562.png

Blizzard has completely knocked it out of the park with the flavor in this set. I was in love with this card before I had even read it's text box, then I saw the words "destroy the enemy hero" and I nearly lost it. Mecha'thun is the ultimate trump card for fatigue situations, and I can't wait to see all of the decks which will be built around his Deathrattle ability.

The first thing to note about Mecha'thun is that he costs 10 Mana and his "destroy the enemy hero" ability is a Deathrattle, which means your opponent will always be able to silence or Polymorph Mecha'thun on their turn if you simply play this card as a 10 Mana minion and do nothing else. You also can't use cards like Play Dead to win the game with Mecha'thun, as there has to be no minions on your battlefield (Mecha'thun will count itself). To win the game with Mecha'thun you will need to build a deck which can consistently draw through all of its cards, empty its hand, then find a way to kill Mecha'thun (or a copy of Mecha'thun) before the opponent can silence it.

The most obvious way to trigger Mecha'thun is to play him for 10 Mana then Innervate or Biology Project into Naturalize. Druid can easily draw through its entire deck to assemble this combo, but its worth noting that this combo is ripped apart by Skulking Geist. You could always play Mecha'thun straight into a removal spell if you add Flobbidonous Floop into the mix, which could potentially open the door for some backup plans against Geist.

Rogue can combo Mecha'thun with Myra's Unstable Element to quickly draw every card in your deck, but I expect it will be quite difficult to pull off this combo while  battling against fatigue or playing around silence effects. The best I can come up with is to Shadowstep the Mecha'thun, then on the following turn play it for 8 Mana into Preparation plus Assassinate, but this takes 2 whole turns to execute.

What kind of deck do you think Mecha'thun will be played in? Let us know in the comment section, and be sure to check out our Boomsday Hub for more card reveals from the upcoming expansion.

• Like 2

I'm sure some cleave clogs will work out a completely busted use for this thing, but I'm stumped myself. Still incredible flavour and the art is amazing.

• Like 2

Can someone find a leak of the golden version of this one? 😄

And to quote one of my all time favourite magic cards: "When nothing remains, everything is equally possible." image.thumb.png.da8f70b2d84d8e51b229b0b3bb4b5096.png

• Like 3

i believe that druid will do well with it because they can use the juicy fruit and draw the card, and then wait till the deck runs out and survive off of the deathknight hero card also they can ramp quicker, possibly get an easier way to get a copy of C'thun. The other class that I think can pull off the combo is priest. They can summon copies of it, and then repeatedly resummon copies, wait for a spell stone to then summon all of them. 

u can make a deck of cheap minions to get rid of them with hemet, but killing it would be a challenge. i fear if we ever get a good combo for this ! also quest druid can play this for 0, if they somehow manage to empty their ...well everything !

maybe a combo of quest druid, hemet and MADNESS!!! PURE MADNESS

Edited by blackstar128

The more I think about this one, the harder I think it is to make it work. You have to draw/burn your deck fast, survive until turn 10 against a decks, empty your hand, and play this and kill it (or a copy later) with your last card.

Isn’t it easier just to play a combo deck and kill your opponent the usual way?

It feels like more of a finisher for a fatigue deck, to defend against stuff like Benedictus priest. But that’s a tough archetype to play right now.

22 minutes ago, Okmikeguy said:

Deathrattle priest may be able to do it with the new card that causes all your minions to die at the end of the turn

but that card still has to die to fullfill c'thuns requirements... or not?

And if it dies, will deathrattle minions that you played with a reduced cost still die at the end of the turn?

additionally:
Each time i try to say "mecha'thun" in my head, i am thinking of a "McC'thun"-Burger... what it would taste like? 🤔

12 minutes ago, Lawrenz said:

but that card still has to die to fullfill c'thuns requirements... or not?

And if it dies, will deathrattle minions that you played with a reduced cost still die at the end of the turn?

additionally:
Each time i try to say "mecha'thun" in my head, i am thinking of a "McC'thun"-Burger... what it would taste like? 🤔

like an octopus perhaps? i mean Old Gods have tentacles so...😄 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

like an octopus perhaps? i mean Old Gods have tentacles so...😄 

mmmh, yeah:

McDonald's introduces, in cooperation with Blizzard Entertainment, the all around evil and mysterious menu.
Take a bite from the "McC'thun"

oct.thumb.jpg.ef52848473be62427fdef78c38782b10.jpg

In combination with some Void-nuggets, and an icecold Sindragosa'sFlurry

It just costs everything*!
*might include your soul

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Aleco said:

but this takes 2 whole turns to execute.

At least three, since on top of that you need to dump the rest of your hand you (un)convenietly drew with the other suicidal card.

But then again, after seeing the absolute insanity that is Aviana - Kun - Domo - Automaton - Cube - Faceless - Faceless - Deathwing OTK, I'm certain those glorious madmen will find a way to make it work once in a while.

• Like 1

I think there will be more efficient ways to kill your opponent then this, unfortunately.  Still, worth it for the memes I suppose.  I do think this card will be quite impactful though.  Having a big mech for the warrior to discover with both the hero power and the spell is great.