FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Caldyrvan

Invest into what?

I could use some advice into which set I should invest. (I'm playing standard and I have no desire to play wild)

First I want to say, I am ok with spending some money but I'm not a cash cow and gold is, as everyone knows, for most a rare resource. So I have to decide which packs to get.

A short overview to make a suggestion easier:

• Classic Set: Still missing about 30 Epics in total but only about 5 which are really playable. Missing a lot of Legends, at least 9 which I want/need.
  • Old Gods: I'm missing really a lot there but since it will leave with the next rotation I think it's better to invest into newer (or classic) sets.
  • Karazhan: Well, I have everything ;)
  • Mean Streets: I have most of the crucial cards I wanted apart from that >>see Old Gods<<
  • Un'Goro: Missing about 25 epics, 8 I think I want to get and play. I'm missing most of the legends but I only want 3 or 4 of them (I don't like quests :D)
  • Frozen Throne:  Missing a few epics but I have all which see play in the current meta. Missing 9 Legends, 5 I want to get (4 Death Knights and Sindragosa the remaining 4 are not really interesting to me)

As you can see, I am not eager to invest into Old Gods and Mean Streets (It makes little sense, or am I wrong?). I already planned to pre-purchase Kobolds & Catacombs and I'm not sure should I get Classic, Un'Goro or Frozen Throne packs or maybe save money/gold for additional K&C packs.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Caldyrvan

We'd have to know what kind of player you are. I know I can stick to one deck per expansion and be happy with it. Are you shooting for legend monthly? Do you like to experiment? Etc.

• Like 1

Well, good question :D

I would say I have the fun more in mind than winning (at it's best fun for both sides, no matter who wins) but ofc I prefer to win games :D as well as having good/strong decks.

I have to admit I have mostly given up on the higher ladder ranks. At some point it becomes an exhausting and boring grind against the same decks over and over. Rank 10-5 is enough for me. So if I would miss a crucial card required to create a legend rank deck here and there would not be a problem for me.

I like to have more than one good deck. As I don't enjoy to play against the same decks over and over again I don't enjoy playing the same deck all the time. That does not mean I have to change my deck every game but to have only one or two good decks for 4 months is not an options for me. It's not only about the change but to experience different decks and play styles. Experimenting can fun to me and sometimes I create fun deck even though they are not that strongest I enjoy playing them. (that makes me an expensive player, I guess :D)

Edited by Caldyrvan

I'll assume you play standard only (I prefer Wild, in that way I'm more free to invest and to play what I like).

I use this method: I select one legendary card (or a set of 2 epics) I would like to play (in this days, it's Ysharj for a Big Priest / Big Druid deck), and I buy daily the pack where that card is. Then, when I either unpack that card or gain 1600 dust, I pass to the next one (that for me may be Harrison Jones, if legendary weapon will be a thing). Usually I pick enough epic that I miss doing so, without the needing of crafting more.

If you want to play only standard, and if you are a f2p (or nearly f2p), I suggest to choose a legendary one that is in this year packs, un'goro or frozen throne. And try to use your instinct to select a legendary that will not be powercreeped by the next expansion :P

With that in mind, it sounds like Classic and Un'Goro are the packs for you currently.  I say that as you are missing a fair amount of Epics from them while Frozen Throne you have all of the useful epics and the other sets are rotating out in the near future.  I'm not a fan of rolling packs looking for a specific legendary card, which is really what you'd be doing with Frozen packs.   But if you do Classic and Un'Goro, you'll potentially get epics you need and the dust necessary to craft anything else you're missing.

Conversely you could just wait until the next expansion and use your gold there.  Then any dust you get from the extras could go towards crafting your missing cards.  That's how I'm handling the expansions, but I'm also not pre-purchasing any packs either so that route depends on how many packs you want to get from any one expansion.

Edited by Mursilis

I am still not sure :D but thanks for all the answers so far.

And why the hell do I have a limitation on reactions to posts? :D I like all the suggestions and the help everyone is offering.

Edit: I will have to keep thinking about it. Suggestions so far: 

• Frozen Throne: 2
  • Classic set: 1
  • Un'Goro: 2
  • Kobolds: 1

Blessed are the players who don't care about money and just throw in hundreds of $/€ and get what they want. But if you have to rely on gold and just a bit money here and there it's always a great moment when you get a nice card in a pack :)

Edited by Caldyrvan

The strategy when I am considering what should I invest into is that I choose a deck I want. Then, I start buying packs of the set that I miss the most cards from for the deck until I hit a legendary, then check which cards I need after the packs I bought, and repeat.
If I have all decks I want, I just save gold.

This might not be the best strategy, but it works well for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this strategy works best right after the release of a new expansion and if you have all (or nearly all) cards of the previous sets.

I'm my own enemy here, as I said I like to have many decks, so it's hard for me to decide for which one to aim first :D 

Edited by Caldyrvan

5 hours ago, positiv2 said:

The strategy when I am considering what should I invest into is that I choose a deck I want. Then, I start buying packs of the set that I miss the most cards from for the deck until I hit a legendary, then check which cards I need after the packs I bought, and repeat.
If I have all decks I want, I just save gold.

This might not be the best strategy, but it works well for me.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for me.  I play basically F2P after initially purchasing a few packs to sort-of catch up since I didn't start playing when the game was launched.  So in essence I do the complete opposite. 

After I use up all my stored gold on the newest expansion, I look at the cards I have and build decks around them.  I can't really shoot for a specific deck unless I want to completely exhaust my cache of dust (I'm think of those decks with multiple legendary cards in them as ones I avoid).  I'll use dust for a few epics or that one legendary card that gets used in multiple decks though.  Then those becomes my deck options for the next couple of months.

After that it's time start storing gold for the next expansion.  I should have around 6k by the time the next expansion is released.

6k Gold is very nice :)

My gold is gone into KFT packs lately. For the (a bit distant) future (next rotation) I am good with that, the sets I have the less cards rotate out, I still think it's shit that MSG was in standard only for about 1,4 years they have to do something about that, it will be the same with Kobolds & Catacombs, and the sets I which stay I have covered well so far. It might get a bit better for me then,

At least have a bit dust reserves.

12 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

6k Gold is very nice :)

My gold is gone into KFT packs lately. For the (a bit distant) future (next rotation) I am good with that, the sets I have the less cards rotate out, I still think it's shit that MSG was in standard only for about 1,4 years they have to do something about that, it will be the same with Kobolds & Catacombs, and the sets I which stay I have covered well so far. It might get a bit better for me then,

At least have a bit dust reserves.

I agree that having one expansion for a shorter time is not fair, but;

Having MsG for only 1,4 years is totally healthy. It is probably one of the worst expansions ever. There are several unbalanced cards and mechanics that are balanced in no way and equally hated by most of the players

Patches the Pirate

Raza the Chained & Kazakus(to be fair, these were normal before Shadowreaper Anduin)

Aya Blackpaw (whole jade mechanic is hated)

None of these cards and mechanics are balanced, yet they are so common, people are bored of them already. I know you don't like quests, and I don't like them either, but there are more to the fact that 'meta is stale'. MsG is a huge part of it.

I agree, I think we have seen enough jade (especially druid). But with Jade Blossom and Mire Keeper leaving and the nerf to Innervate druid may have a hard time then. A card I will miss that is not even overpowered is Abyssal Enforcer.

Anyway, I think it's bad in general with that rotation system. Players who enjoy standard are somehow cheated. They all know nothing stays in standard forever but having the first exp. of a rotation in for 2 years while the last one is barely worth to put in time and money (blizz still wants that, right?) because the total time it is in standard is about 7 months shorter. I'm already thinking about getting just the most crucial cards from K&C (even though I don't know any cards yet, except for those revealed so far) and not putting in any money and even better put my gold into arena or save it for the next exp which will stay the full 2 years. A system that brings up such thoughts can't be a good one.

I understand their stance on not moving cards into Hall of Fame before a new Year of ... starts but what's wrong with rotating out an expansion after exactly 2 years? They may adjust that time a bit when considering upcoming tournaments or such that would be ok and understandable.

Edited by Caldyrvan

My suggestion is wait until Kobolds is released.  A lot of legendaries/epics become far less useful (see quests) when the next expansion is released, either because the meta changes to suite other types of decks, they are pushed out for better options, or the decks they are played in simply become unviable.  The reverse is also true, some of those legendaries you don't want might because useful, and suddenly you want them.  After that, I would avoid mean streets and whispers.  They won't be in long enough.  Ungoro feels like it has a pretty low density of essential cards right now (even if they might be the *most optimal* card, they aren't really necessary to the deck).  So if you have to buy one I would suggest KotFT.  That is, unless you really need one of the few deck defining cards from Un'goro, things like bittertide, ancient mana, primordial glyph, shadow visions, sun keeper, most the rest can be replaced like auctioneer instead of lyra for highlander priest, any good three drop instead of glimmerroot or shaku, etc.

• Like 1

I never buy packs. To get packs I play in Arena. I also have been saving dust up to 4700 now.  With 1 more month for saving I hope to end up close to 8k dust so I can craft the cards I want in the beginning.

This playstyle is worth considering. I think buying packs is giving away money without a fight. I spend like 5 euro a month (upping balance) playing the game this way.

Well, sounds good. For buying packs, I wasn't about money only. I thought about where to put my gold as well.

I have chosen to stick with KFT packs. Yesterday I opened 20 packs. In the first 15 packs was nothing new only an Abominable Bowman , nothing great but I had only one now two. The 16th pack gifted me with a Prince Valanar and the 17th pack with a Malfurion the Pestilent. Got a lot of dust.

Lucky me :D

Again, thank you all for your suggestions :)

Edited by Caldyrvan

5 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

Well, sounds good. For buying packs, I wasn't about money only. I thought about where to put my gold as well.

Well I play the majority of games paying with gold also. I just checked and saw I played 173 (!) arena matches last month (107 won 65 lost) so that must have been paid with gold in most cases.

Did you buy 20 packs paying with gold now?

Yes and no :D

I got lucky twice, I guess. Not only with the legends I got from card packs but I also got, as late birthday gift from my cousin, a Bnet Gift card. So someone paid for it but not me :D 

Edited by Caldyrvan

Rather than focusing on getting certain legendaries you want, I think it might be beneficial to focus on making the decks you want to play. So if a certain deck requires the most out of a specific set, I'd invest in that.

• Like 1

Focusing on getting certain legendaries you want, Picture Lights The strategy when I am considering what should I invest into is that I choose a deck I want.I think it might be beneficial to focus on making the decks you want to play,Not only with the legends I got from card packs but I also got from some one gifted me Game 

Completing the daily quests to acquire the gold to purchase arena runs, doing the tavern brawl weekly, are the two methods that very quickly will allow you to build a card collection that allow constructing competitive decks. How well you play is often more important than the strength of the deck. Experiment and have fun.

• Like 1