Zadina

Void Ripper Reveal: Kobolds & Catacombs

Sign in to follow this  

18 posts in this topic

34315-zola-the-gorgon-reveal-kobolds-cat

It's an Epic neutral Demon with an interesting text box. Can it fit into constructed decks?

Void Ripper was revealed earlier today by CavadGaming.

HS-Card-SSA-English-2.png

It's an interesting card and it has potential. You can use it aggressively, for example, to pop your own Devilsaur Egg or the chest from Marin the Fox, swap the attack of your Crypt Lord or Tar Creeper and in general potentially buff the attack of your own minions. It can also be used defensively: to destroy a Doomsayer, in combination with Pint-Size Potion and a board clear or to get rid of the Druid opponent scarabs from Spreading Plague, along with a cheap board clear.

As you can see, there are numerous uses for this card. However, can Void Ripper see actual play? Confuse never really caught on and Crazed Alchemist only recently found some use in Aggro Druid as an anti-Doomsayer tech card. I think its aggressive usage is more valuable, so we can potentially see it in Zoolock.

We are still expecting one last card later today (early tomorrow morning for most of the world) and the card reveal season will be finished! The last few cards from Kobolds & Catacombs will be revealed during Monday's final live stream. The expansion releases on December 7 in the Americas and December 8 in the rest of the world. Catch up on everything you need to know about K&C in our dedicated expansion hub.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The above article was product of research in various websites and social media, to get the feeling of the pros and the community alike, as well as some personal ideas. Card reveal articles are usually hit-and-miss, it's hard to estimate a card's worth before actually seeing it in play - especially if you aren't an expert like L0rinda or Aleco. I am sorry if this article offended anyone.

• Sad 1

I can't find anything bad in the first post revealing the card.

But this:

10 minutes ago, Zadina said:

The above article was product of research in various websites and social media, to get the feeling of the pros and the community alike, as well as some personal ideas. Card reveal articles are usually hit-and-miss, it's hard to estimate a card's worth before actually seeing it in play - especially if you aren't an expert like L0rinda or Aleco. I am sorry if this article offended anyone.

This entire post is just confusing me, did I miss something? I can't see any relation to your card reveal post.

It's not related to the content, just to the post per se. Sometimes when you express personal opinions in posts, people disagree with you and it's not always in a nice manner. Therefore, I posted the second post for people to please be kind and constructive with their criticism!

22 minutes ago, Zadina said:

I am sorry if this article offended anyone.

I’m very offended!

Nah, thanks for all the reveal articles guys, good job. Looking forward to trying out the new set.

Void Ripper seems interesting, but agree it’s a tough one to evaluate until it’s been experimented with. I guess the fact it’s a neutral gives it more of a chance than confuse had as it can get tried out in more decks. And it’s rarely a dead card given the body isn’t that understatted. Like SI7 in Rogue, from time to time you just play it out on turn 3 without the combo effect.

Edit: dunno why the formatting went weird above but on mobile and can’t work out how to fix it hehe

Edited by Bozonik
  • Haha 1

Super hard to evaluate until we see the meta. If a lot of low attack, high health minions, this is great to bring them within AoE range. If you run the opposite, you can give your opponent a big surprise. Hearthstone minions aren't all that spread out statswise usually however, so... yeah. We'll know later. It probably won't be good.

Seems good to me to fit in a warlock decks since it's a demon with a useful battlecry, also in a deck that can't remove Doomsayer on turn 3 seems to be very efficient and isn't limited to a single minion so hard counter shaman tokens meaning it's a board wipe against them that also has a decent body.

It's a 3 mana neutral that is better then a lot of class cards and have flexibility more than other cards.

2 hours ago, Zadina said:

Sometimes when you express personal opinions in posts, people disagree with you and it's not always in a nice manner.

Even good journalists who try to write about something in a neutral tone can't always prevent their feelings flowing into an article. And here it should be welcomed, writing wild speculations about cards showing your own creativity as well as inspiring others'.

If someone responds and has another opinion, well that's fine but if they express it in a bad and wrong way then it's them being wrong not you :)

ok back to the topic: As said, being a neutral minions gives more decks a chance to try it out. The demon tag looks not very important here. Oh and somehow sad with that set that ppl are already happy when they see a minion with stats just equal to their cost.

Edited by Caldyrvan

This might see some play in aggro druid perhaps? You could use it dish out some extra damage from high health minions, or use it with savage roar to give your minions more health?

Will your minions  still lose the attack bonus that was granted by savage roar at the end of your turn?

Edited by Caldyrvan

9 hours ago, Zadina said:

I don't think you're stupid just because (I think) you are not a "always legend" pro, and this community is one of the kindest I have ever met. People have never judged me for my opinions and never said I was stupid for a decklist I posted, this is the first time :)

6 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

Will your minions  still lose the attack bonus that was granted by savage roar at the end of your turn?

Yes, if you do Void Ripper first then Savage Roar. It's just a temporary buff.

An example of a minion that keeps the attack bonus is Tar Creeper. If your opponent has Tar Creeper and you use the Ripper on your turn, you will actually buff your opponent's Creeper, due to its effect. Thus, it will be a 7/3 Creeper on your turn and a 5/3 one on your opponent's turn.

• Thanks 1

Thank you. I doubt I will play it but it's good to know and understand how mechanics work and since the devs do their best to make many things unclear or as confusing as possible I'm glad I can ask you :D

1 hour ago, Zadina said:

Yes, if you do Void Ripper first then Savage Roar. It's just a temporary buff.

An example of a minion that keeps the attack bonus is Tar Creeper. If your opponent has Tar Creeper and you use the Ripper on your turn, you will actually buff your opponent's Creeper, due to its effect. Thus, it will be a 7/3 Creeper on your turn and a 5/3 one on your opponent's turn.

If you do a temporary buff and then Void Ripper it retains the final stat line apparently. Had to look it up as I wasn’t sure, but a 1/1 savage roared and then Void rippered would become a 1/3 permanently.

• Like 2

Well yeah, if you do Savage Roar first and Void Ripper afterwards, the attack increase becomes part of the health after the stat swap.

I may have misunderstood Caldyrvan, though. I thought he meant if they keep the increased attack as part of their attack. My bad!

That's so confusing :')

33 minutes ago, Zadina said:

That's so confusing :')

Indeed :D but my question was not worded well. May I join the "my bad" club?

It is a bit clunky to swap all minions but maybe people will find ways to make it work.  Personally I think it won't catch on. Maybe it is the kind of card that one brave soul will play at a tournament to make things exciting for the viewers.  Honestly when I try to imagine the card HAS caught on, I immediately see counterplay developing to the point where it is no longer useful.

That said, I still think it is an interesting card, Interaction with defile could  be incredibly complex on a board with a lot of minions.

When the OP said something about Devilsaur Egg, that got me thinking Meat Wagon and Validated Doomsayer (after validation) are potentially happy to have their stats swapped too.  What expensive minions have a 3 attack though? IDK