Zadina

The Boomsday Project Reveal Stream Recap

Sign in to follow this  

10 posts in this topic

W08XFGGQ6KXO1531535938823.jpg

Peter Whalen was joined by Brian Kibler to present some cards from the upcoming Hearthstone expansion.

The reveal season for The Boomsday Project had a rough start, since the kickoff livestream had some heavy audio issues. For example, Peter made an inaudible comment in the beginning of the stream about Magnetic cards and positioning, implying perhaps that you will need to place Magnetic minions at a specific spot on the board. Thankfully, you only need your eyes to see the new cards and we have gathered all of them!

First up, we have the Paladin Legendary spell. It promotes Mech synergy for Paladin, which is something we haven't seen before, and perhaps it's intentionally odd costed. We will have to see how strong the Magnetic cards are and if Mech Paladin will be a viable deck, but on a vacuum this card looks much better compared to the slightly similar Greater Diamond Spellstone.

ab589e0ac4b01290e3b6d437fa358bdd.png

We saw Quest Priest become more viable in The Witchwood meta and it looks like the Hearthstone team is nudging players even more towards that direction. Dead Ringer is a pretty decent card that also cycles another Deathrattle minion. Reckless Experimenter, on the other hand, is difficult to judge: it might see play perhaps in a CubePriest or it might be yet another niche epic card.

9a45abd594fdbe8944ac54032c5932a4.png3c541a5936863fda7f198cf71ad1e712.png

The cute card of this set is Faithful Lumi. And it is pretty decent, too!

e3d0d7c1c8899f394132fa5f6eedbef6.png

Next up, we have an Omega card for Warlock. Omega Agent looks slightly underwhelming, but it can perhaps make for a good Arena card.

82260b371a9e38fd7311e158e18a4c90.png

Lab Recruiter is amazing: it combines a strong 3/2 body, along with the Gang Up effect for the same Mana cost. I can't wait to see the uses of this card!

d2a998c24f4822aee62fceb93ef9b38b.png

Weaponized Pinata is slightly understated with a random effect.

d31a3e3265cb4e5ef8cdd4959ce2f6b6.png

Demonic Project is the Warlock Project card. It is also quite random, but it can be used as a combo-breaker, for example transforming the enemy's Shudderwock.

964cd0ff7212bf0ee5e9e160e89b4a15.png

Unexpected Results is a Mage Epic spell with a random effect. Spell Damage improves the mana-cost of the minions summoned, meaning that if you have +1 Spell Damage, you will summon two 3-mana minions. Even without the improvement, it sounds like an okay-ish deal if you don't get a terrible outcome, like two Doomsayers. Minion Mage hasn't really caught on, even if it got a lot of support in The Witchwood, with only Murloc Mage seeing some competitive play. Like most Epic cards, it's difficult to tell if Unexpected Results is nice or niche.

b781acb061d77ffef31b4664e7be569a.png

Lastly, we have the big boss himself, who was also teased in the announcement stream: Dr. Boom, Mad Genius! He is a Warrior Hero card, the only Hero card for The Boomsday Project. His Hero Power will change randomly at the end of the turn and he cannot get the same one twice in a row. Also, you cannot get Dr. Boom, Mad Genius in the Arena. Here he is:

3ff8b718f26ad0f92ec617102cd09765.jpg

Now it's time for community sites and streamers to pick up the card reveals. Don't forget to check the reveal schedule, as we expect two more card reveals for today!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zadina said:

along with the Gang Up effect

Gang Up lets you shufle 3 copies of enemy minions too, I think it worths more than 3/2. 

For the Demonic Project, I think devs heard our screams, asking for another Dirty Rat to break combos. But, it is less viable. Can get rid of HadronoxMalygosMaster Oakheart and etc. (which are all played by Druid right now) So the card reads, 'screw with your antler-y opponents combo sometimes'

New Dr.Boom is the first craft of this set, if none appears in packs. I wonder if it reacts to minion Dr. Boom, when it is played.

1 hour ago, FanOfValeera said:

Gang Up lets you shufle 3 copies of enemy minions too, I think it worths more than 3/2. 

But you can shuffle copies of recruiter into your deck with a second or gang up, gets double triggers from brann, can be tutored by minstrel and Piper, as well as having synergy with the rogue legendary spell.  It might even see play in an aggressive rogue deck.  A 2 Mana 3/2 isn't completely awful, then after you refill 8, 9, 10 cards with the spell, then suddenly you have 3 more copies of the best creature you drew.  Lifedrinker comes to mind.

3 minutes ago, VaraTreledees said:

But you can shuffle copies of recruiter into your deck with a second or gang up, gets double triggers from brann, can be tutored by minstrel and Piper, as well as having synergy with the rogue legendary spell.  It might even see play in an aggressive rogue deck.  A 2 Mana 3/2 isn't completely awful, then after you refill 8, 9, 10 cards with the spell, then suddenly you have 3 more copies of the best creature you drew.  Lifedrinker comes to mind.

Not sure it will see much play in standard, but Wild Mill Rogue just got one hell of a powercard.

I actually kinda like loot pinata for deathrattle priest.   Not saying it's awesome but it is a 4-cost deathrattle, there aren't many good midpoint ones available and this will "usually" get you a decent card for value when it dies.     The body isn't bad either compared to the other deathrattle cards out there.

Hmm, Dr. Boom is pretty cool...maybe you don't even have to play a Mech-Deck to make him worthwhile. Maybe I have to give my least favourite class another shot.

"Waeponized Pinata" reminds me of something I think Firebat once said: "from all random cards you can get, Legendaries are the worst."...I think some people will overrate this one.

Same thing goes for "Lab Recruiter". With the exception of Mill Rouge, I can't really see the use of it except making your deck bigger, which is most of the time a bad thing to do...but hey, at least it has a reasonable body.

Kangor's endless army seems strong.  If a paladin mech deck exists, this will be part of it, but it probably isn't strong enough to force the archetype by itself.  

Dead Ringer: Seems good.  Most "tutor" cards see play somewhere, the card is really slow though, might hamper its play-ability.  Particularly good in quest priest, beyond that, I feel like it will be too slow to see fair play (that is, not used as part of a deck meant to tutor up a specific death rattle for a combo or the like).

Reckless experimenter:  Seems a strong enabler for some interesting combos.  Won't ever see play fairly, but you might be able to do some sort of degenerate things with it.

Faithful Lumi: Also seems pretty weak.  The best case scenario is it is an enchanted raven who gets charge on half of its stats, which is really good, but probably not that likely.  Most of the time, it is a 1 mana 1/1 or an enchanted raven on a turn that is not 1, which is really bad.

Omega Agent: Unplayably bad at less then 10 mana.  At 10, its pretty good, but I don't think its good enough to put a 5 mana 4/5 in your deck.

Lab Recruiter:  Better gangup imo.  Will see play in wild in mill rogue, in standard, I think it has a chance to see play in an aggressive rogue deck that is not odd along with the new legendary spell.  On top of that, it has some really powerful synergies with the new legendary spell, there is the possibility for some shenanigans there.  Might not pan out, but they definitely exist.

Weaponized Pinata:  Seems pretty meh.  Might find a home as a value card in quest priest, doubt it though.  Seems pretty comparable to Arfus who basically sees 0 play.

Demonic Project:  Good way to screw with combo decks, but turning your important minions into useless demons is bad, however, turning your useless doomsayers into less useless demons seems good.  Definitely worth experimenting with.  Its no dirty rat, but it might be close enough.

Unexpected results:  Seems alright at 0 spell power, probably a little too fair but really not that far off from play-ability, at +1 spell power, it is ridiculous, anything more then that, it is bonkers insane.  The value does diminish the later the game goes on, however.  Depending on the quality of spell power minions released, it might or might not see play.  I see potential.

Doctor Boom:  Seems strong.  Like really strong.  Giving all your mechs rush and gainign 7 armor is already pretty good, and the hero power is really good.  At worst 3/5 of them are amazing in any given match, most matches it will probably be 4/5 or even all 5 being good, and all of them are insane value for 2 mana.

5 hours ago, VaraTreledees said:

Doctor Boom:  Seems strong.  Like really strong.  Giving all your mechs rush and gainign 7 armor is already pretty good, and the hero power is really good.  At worst 3/5 of them are amazing in any given match, most matches it will probably be 4/5 or even all 5 being good, and all of them are insane value for 2 mana

But isn't the cost actually 4 mana? 2 mana to get a random hero power, and 2 more to activate it? If the hero power ends up being 4 mana that is a decent balance to the card's insane power.

Edited by Rhondis

9 minutes ago, Rhondis said:

But isn't the cost actually 4 mana? 2 mana to get a random hero power, and 2 more to activate it? If the hero power ends up being 4 mana that is a decent balance to the card's insane power.

No, it’s two mana. The Big Red Button is just the Hero Power you see when you view the card in the deck collection.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zadina said:

No, it’s two mana. The Big Red Button is just the Hero Power you see when you view the card in the deck collection.

I see now. I was a tad confused when viewing that.