Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
L0rinda

hearthstone Live Stream Reveals Eleven New Cards

14 posts in this topic

JMYThR2.jpg

11 new Journey to Un'Goro cards were revealed tonight on the Blizzard live stream.

11 new Journey to Un'Goro cards were revealed tonight on the Blizzard live stream.

Sean "Day9" Plott and Senior Designer Peter Whalen looked very comfortable doing the reveal show. Whalen led us through the new cards, while Day9 asked a lot of interesting questions about the design process.

HtkPhGO.png

There is going to be one Quest per class in Un'Goro, and today we were shown the Warlock one. The Portal is indestructable and produces two 3/2 Imps every turn. The Portal occupies a place on the game board. 

As always with early reveals, it is difficult to tell how the card will fit into a new meta, but it seems that this card can either be  played in a Zoo shell for huge amount of pressure, or in a very controlling build as a win condition. It seems like it will be a good card, but the best build will take a while to work out.

WjKxNMc.png

Three of the Legendary cards were revealed, and as you can see, they all have interesting new mechanics attached to them. Swamp King Dred looks overpowered at first glance, but it is worth bearing in mind that we have been told there will be cards in Un'Goro with the keyword Poison. (Cards that kill things when they damage them.) Poison is also one of the options available from Adapt, and so Dred will have some very cheap counters if he gets out of control.

Sherazin, Corpse Flower can be brought back to life by playing four cards in a turn. As a 5/3, this might not be enough to make the card particularly good, but it is definitely a mechanic we are likely to see again in the future.

Elise the Trailblazer is the second incarnation of Elise, and Blizzard have done a good job of retaining the flavour of the original. The Un'Goro pack that gets shuffled into your deck costs 2 mana, and when opened, the five cards are put into your hand. (No, you don't get to keep them after the game.) We have been told that "Elise is lucky", and that you can expect an average of about one Legendary in the pack. This should mean that Elise will become a very playable card in control decks.

LJkuHlv.png

There were two spells in the reveal, both of which seem to be aimed at casual players. Explore Un'Goro replaces your entire deck with 1 mana spells that Discover a card and seems to be unplayable in serious constructed decks. Dinosize also seems unplayable, but there is maybe some scope to use it with Windfury, or to protect a particularly important minion.

8oSyc0E.png

The minions revealed were generally interesting. Arcanologist seems to be a fixed version of Mad ScientistTar Creeper's mechanic is something I think we will see more of, it is important because it acknowledges that the player whose turn it is has a big advantage. The card having a bonus during the opponent's turn helps to balance this out. Golakka Crawler seems destined to become a favourite with players, although it remains to be seen if countering Pirates will be necessary. It seems logical that there might be an equivalent of this card that kills Golems.

If you didn't see the event live, and are interested in more than just the specifics of the new cards, the VoD of the show can be seen below.

Watch live video from PlayHearthstone on www.twitch.tv

The quest cards are really interesting. We now know priest is deathrattle and warlock is discard... can we assume shaman is overload? Also, curious to see what some less straight forward classes use (druid extra mana?) and the rewards look clearly control focused.

I really like the taunt boost mechanic as a clear way to push control/value mid-range decks forward. Really interesting mechanics and super curious to see how it keeps going. 

1 person likes this

Looks like discard zoo will be able to survive the loss of Fist of Jaraxxus and zoo core cards (such as Imp Gang Boss).
Explore Un'goro looks like Renounce Darkness, but with lower risk and lower jackpot. I will definitely try the card.

So far no Ragers. I hope they will release at least one Rager, since this expansion brings Elemental tribe.

It's nice to see them finally print a discard-archetype warlock card that seems intended for control. We'll have to see if it makes the cut, and if zoo just plays it anyway. 

Gollaka Crawler may become a nice 2 drop for the beast druid if this archetype will become viable. Hunters will still have Kindly Grandmothers and Trogg Beastragers for their 2 drop slot but druid lose their Druid of the Saber and neutral Huge Toad.  

I love that warlocks quest is not a direct support for zoo. I was very afraid of something like - kill X of your own minions or play X demons. Don't get me wrong, I love zoo and hope it will be good, I just don't want it to be a sole warlock archetype after we lose Reno

Uhhh, all these cards looking pretty good so far (excluding Tar Creepers artwork...) .

But "Dinosize" unplayable? I dont know...I seems like a reasonable finisher to me (comparable to Pyroblast maybe). Maybe as a one-off in an aggressive Paladin-Deck.

10 hours ago, Laragon said:

The quest cards are really interesting. We now know priest is deathrattle and warlock is discard... can we assume shaman is overload? Also, curious to see what some less straight forward classes use (druid extra mana?) and the rewards look clearly control focused.

I really like the taunt boost mechanic as a clear way to push control/value mid-range decks forward. Really interesting mechanics and super curious to see how it keeps going. 

It seems to me, that Blizzard might use the new Quests to push different arch-types. Considering the other revealed cards, maybe Mage will get some sort of "Play X Secrets" or Paladin "target your minions with X spells". But also Overload and Combo seems logical.

5 hours ago, enviousmtg said:

It's nice to see them finally print a discard-archetype warlock card that seems intended for control. We'll have to see if it makes the cut, and if zoo just plays it anyway. 

But I can't really see the Warlock-Quest in a control-shell...I mean discarding random cards is basically the opposite of what control-decks want to do. Normaly you run some sort of finisher in your deck (like Lord Jaraxxus or an OTK-combo), that you want to keep in your hand until the time is right in the lategame. By discarding so much cards (6 in this case) you have a pretty high chance of crippling yourself. So yeah...I see this Quest mainly for more agressive decks, like Zoolock.

1 person likes this

Dinosize for paladins, that will crush your face...  guess One copy of it is fine. In general I think it will be a great pick if you find it from Discover...
Fat Taunts are also nice, but right now I wont put too much hope in them. 

1 person likes this

Is Explore Un'Goro a Warrior class card? Just assuming so from the red/brown-ish background colour.

1 hour ago, Taan said:

But "Dinosize" unplayable? I dont know...I seems like a reasonable finisher to me (comparable to Pyroblast maybe). Maybe as a one-off in an aggressive Paladin-Deck.

Pyroblast ignores taunts and can be played with an empty board, unlike Dinosize, which needs a minion that was played earlier, or a charge minion, but both are stopped by taunts, and there are a lot of taunts coming this expansion it seems.
It's too big to be in a pally deck currently, though maybe once some of the aggro pally cards are gone, it could be used in place of Ragnaros the Firelord as a finisher, since Rag will be gone as well.

21 minutes ago, Zadina said:

Is Explore Un'Goro a Warrior class card? Just assuming so from the red/brown-ish background colour.

Yeah, it is. I think warrior is a great class for this card, as his hero power can allow him to pay extra mana for the discover.

13 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Looks like discard zoo will be able to survive the loss of Fist of Jaraxxus and zoo core cards (such as Imp Gang Boss).
Explore Un'goro looks like Renounce Darkness, but with lower risk and lower jackpot. I will definitely try the card.

So far no Ragers. I hope they will release at least one Rager, since this expansion brings Elemental tribe.

I want to find a way to use it with Deathwing in control, though the odds are that doesn't make it into a guide!

Are quest rewards permanent?  Are you use the quest every game in order to use the reward?

14 minutes ago, Oddlane said:

Are quest rewards permanent?  Are you use the quest every game in order to use the reward?

The quest rewards may or may not be permanent. There are quests that are yet to be revealed. 
Yes, you need to complete the quest every game in order to reap the rewards.

Posted (edited)

Lakkari seems. . . a little underwhelming to me.  I find it hard to believe this will find its way into zoo, missing not only your one drop but discarding 6 cards?  That is difficult, considering when zoo plays doomguard on turn five it is not uncommon for them to discard nothing.  In control shells or midrange shells, jaraxxus just seems to be better in all but a few corner cases.

Elise is obviously insane in control v control match ups, if these become a thing in the next x pac, and control isn't shut out of the meta by jade, then she will be extremely powerful.

Sherazin feels like a stronger but slower shredder, which means I see a lot of potential, especially in the miracle shell, but I don't know if it will find a deck to fit into well since miracle is losing so many of its powerful cards with the rotation.  This, I feel, has the potential to be a sleeper hit in this set, just depends on if we see rogue decks able to meet its condition with ease.

If midrange hunter is actually a playable deck, I feel dred will see play in it or at least some of them, the ability to curve highmane into it is huge, on top of that you are almost guaranteed to get at least a 2 for one baring hard removal, and a lot of that is getting cycled out or might as well be (control warlock probably won't be a popular deck after reno rotates so you probably won't have to deal with blast crystals or siphons).  If adapt becomes a prevalent mechanic, it could be problematic though.  

Dinosize I think has a little potential, but ultimately I think its just too weak to actually see any competitive play.  It will pretty much always be overshadowed by lightlord, Tirion, and probably a few other big minions.

Explore Un'goro is a fun card, probably going to be bad, increasing the mana cost of everything you play by 1 will probably cause you to just get out tempoed, even by other slow control decks.

Arcanologist is insane.  It has a full +1/+2 on novice engineer and lets you draw a specific card which tends to be stronger then drawing a random card from your deck.  You can build strategies completely around this card, it is obviously incredibly strong.  The downside is, secrets are slow, and if the meta doesn't slow down, this card might be pushed out in favor of more anti aggro options since the secret you are drawing is going to be a huge tempo loss.  There are some merits to drawing ice barrier with it against aggressive decks, and in fact playing only ice barriers if the meta is aggressive enough, but that will require some testing before we can definitively say how good/bad that will be, but I suspect there will be better options available to control mages for anti aggro tech.

Tar Creeper, a 3 mana senjin shield masta for control decks, it is a great anti aggro tech card, better then second rate bruiser as well, since its effect isn't conditional on the enemy board state, great all around card.

Tortollan Shellraiser this card has gotten a lot of hype, I don't much care for it.  2 attack is pretty low and there are a lot of important minions with 3 health in aggressive decks.  On top of that, priest of the feast is a 4 mana 3/6 and didn't see a whole lot of play in our aggro meta and it is arguably better.  Also, while it does synergize with the priest quest, I have my doubts that it will see play.

The felhound feels a tad on the weak side, doomguard is a lot better, like A LOT better.  You just don't get enough for having to discard two cards.  It might see play as a one of anti aggro tech card in discard zoo but I doubt it will see play without a large amount more support for the discarding cards thing.

The crawler feels a bit on the weak side for me, a 2 mana 2/3 is terrible, and becoming a 2 mana 3/4 that destroys a pirate just isn't a strong enough swing to justify it as a tech card against pirates unless like 70-80%+ of the meta becomes pirates.

Edited by VaraTreledees
1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, VaraTreledees said:

The felhound feels a tad on the weak side, doomguard is a lot better, like A LOT better.  You just don't get enough for having to discard two cards.  It might see play as a one of anti aggro tech card in discard zoo but I doubt it will see play without a large amount more support for the discarding cards thing..

I think it may find its place as a tool to protect minions  that benefit from staying on the board like Darkshire Councilman. Yet we will likely need more minions with active abilities for this