FORUMS
Aleco

Eurogamer's Witchwood Spoiler: Emeriss

7EN0rfL.png

Emeriss, a lieutenant of Ysera, is a big bad 10 Mana legendary minion for Hunters.

The release of The Witchwood will rotate all of the Old Golds, including Y'Shaarj, Rage Unbound. Deathwing, Dragonlord, N'Zoth, the Corruptor, and Yogg-Saron, Hope's End, but Eurogamer's spoiler has given us a brand new 10 Mana Legendary to play with. Say hello to Emeriss, a boss from vanilla WoW and a lieutenant of Ysera:

HUNTER__GIL_128_enGB_Emeriss__1_.jpg

As a 10 Mana minion, we can use the old gods as our guide for evaluating Emeriss. All of the old gods were powerful in various decks throughout their lifetime in Standard as they were able to flip boards around with their powerful, game-winning effects. Emeriss doesn't flip a board as well as N'Zoth, the Corruptor, but it isn't hard to imagine a number of scenarios where his Battlecry will set up a game-winning scenario.

Emeriss obviously has to go in a slower deck which will have access to a grip full of minions on turn ten, because he needs to double the stats of at least 3 or 4 minions to be worth the investment of time and Mana. Alternatively, Emeriss could also be used to double the stats of just a few key minions with an already intimidating body (such as Ysera). With that in mind, I'm not entirely convinced that a Hunter deck like this will exist. Hunter's bread and butter is aggro and midrange, and unless we get a few more cards from The Witchwood to change that Emeriss could end up being a bench warmer.

Do you think Emeriss will see play in the latest expansion? Let us know what you think of the card in the comment section, and be sure to check out our Witchwood Hub for more spoilers from the upcoming expansion.

• Like 1

....C'thun?    Awkward fit with Hunter but you could conceivably buff it to a sure win without too much difficulty.

Edit; oh wait, it's rotating out XD

Edited by Migol
  • Haha 1

Am I the only one thinking that this pairs incredibly well with the hunter DK hero power. all those custom beasts getting upgrades on top sounds pretty strong, Maybe in some sort of big hunter with Kathrena or something

So far the past told us that big hunter is not really great. But we still need to see more than half of the WW expansion before we can say something about that, I guess.

I wonder how this will work with Echo cards. If the copy of the card retains the buff, then playing this followed up with 5 4/2 from Hunting Mastiff could make a threatening board. I could also see this being run in a deck with a lot of lower cost minions. If you could get a Scavenging Hyena buffed before you even play it and then sack some beasts, you could give it the kick start it needs being played so late in the game. Hard to judge when we aren't sure what deck types the expansion can offer Hunter players. Right now taking everything we've seen, I'd say this card is at least better than decent. I think its kinda situational to be consistently powerful. The Old Gods are a good comparison but the had immediate impact on the board. 

5 hours ago, Bozonik said:

Buffed echo minions are only buffed on the first summon.

Source?

I will agree with Caldy, that this Dragon feels like a win-more thing. It's also so out of place and so terribly slow in Hunter. 

Big image in spoiler, but totally accurate.

mg54gwvkpqo01.png

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bozonik said:

Buffed echo minions are only buffed on the first summon.

6 hours ago, Zadina said:

Source?

I think there was nothing official but it's a safe assumption from how copies to hand worked so far:

1. Simulacrum only copies a base version of the minion.
  2. Drawing a copy of a minion from your deck that got buffed (e.g. Prince Keleseth) with Mimic Pod will give you a unmodified version of the minion.
  3. Same with Stitched Tracker
  4. Using Zola the Gorgon on a buffed minion on the board add an unmodified copy to your hand.

Ofc they might handle this as a different mechanic but I doubt it- It would be too good imo. E.G. That new echo minion isn't too great as a 2/4 taunt but if you have a Val'anyr buff on it, playing three of them (6/6 taunt then) would be quite strong.

Edited by Caldyrvan

2 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

I think there was nothing official but it's a safe assumption from how copies to hand worked so far:

1. Simulacrum only copies a base version of the minion.
  2. Drawing a copy of a minion from your deck that got buffed (e.g. Prince Keleseth) with Mimic Pod will give you a unmodified version of the minion.
  3. Same with Stitched Tracker
  4. Using Zola the Gorgon on a buffed minion on the board add an unmodified copy to your hand.

Ofc they might handle this as a different mechanic but I doubt it- It would be too good imo. E.G. That new echo minion isn't too great as a 2/4 taunt but if you have a Val'anyr buff on it, playing three of them (6/6 taunt then) would be quite strong.

A way to verify this would be to draw Unstable Evolution with a Far Sight. if the second use still costs 0, the echo's minions should be buffed.

Echoed copies are always the original version of the card. Copies will not take in-hand stat or cost changes, unless it's being provided by an aura (Summoning PortalSorcerer's Apprentice).

From https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Echo

I believe the official source of the info was this ‘No’ from Mike Donais on reddit.

Edited by Bozonik
  • Thanks 1