Season of Discovery Enhancement Shaman Tank Guide
Welcome to our Enhancement Shaman Tank guide for WoW Classic - Season of Discovery, tailored for PvE content. Here, you will learn how to play the Shaman class as an Enhancement Shaman Tank. Click the links below to navigate the guide or read this page for a short introduction.
Enhancement in particular has always been the melee-focused specialization for Shamans, and while doing DPS is usually in order, Season of Discovery finally introduces the ability for Shamans to properly tank!
- Mobility issues in PvP and very susceptible to crowd control and being kited around
- Totems need to be constantly monitored and considered, especially if you are moving around
- Mana dependent and requires multiple targets for Shield Mastery to help with sustain
Season of Discovery
Shaman tanks offer some of the strongest snap/cleave threat of any spec available in Season of Discovery with Way of Earth increasing threat generation and survivability massively on its own, and Molten Blast providing a huge area threat generator. Water Shield is also a good alternative for Mana sustain.
Shield Mastery helps with survivability, especially against multiple targets, where it also shines in its Mana sustain component. A great alternative is Dual Wield Specialization, where you drop the shield in favor of additional threat from a second weapon and a ton of free Hit and Spell Hit.
The new runes introduced in Phase 2 bring multiple new options, with Fire Nova, Maelstrom Weapon, and Power Surge all having their use cases in the waist slot and Spirit of the Alpha or Decoy Totem rounding out the kit in the feet slot.
As a new spec with entirely new abilities and runes, the rotation, gearing options, and talent decisions recommended for Shaman tanks can be found in the guides in the Table of Content at the top of this page. Within these, you will find all the information you will need to master this new game mode!
The best profession to have as a Shaman tank is Engineering. It provides powerful items that you can use in both PvE and PvP content to either deal damage and generate threat, or help you get out of a tough spot.
Leatherworking is also a great choice for Shaman tanks due to special bind on pickup crafts such as Void-Touched Leather Gloves, Rad-Resistant Scale Hood , and Glowing Gneuro-Linked Cowl , with further BoP crafts expected down the line.
Rune Engravings for Enhancement Shaman Tank
The main feature of Season of Discovery is the new Rune Discovery system, which allows you to discover and attach special abilities to your gear slots after finding them across the world. We list all of Shaman's runes and where they can be located in the guide below.
- 18 Feb. 2024: Updated intro, strengths and weaknesses for Phase 2.
- 17 Dec. 2023: Revamped section with new layout and text explanation.
- Blizzard on AoE Threat in SoD Phase 2
- Season of Discovery and Classic Era Hotfixes: February 16th
- Additional Tuning Coming to Priests in Season of Discovery
- Gnomeregan SoD DPS and Healer Rankings: Week 1
- SoD Subjugate Demon Nerf Due to 5-Minute Control of Metamorphosis Warlocks
- Upcoming Season of Discovery Phase 2 Class Tuning: February 20th
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: February 14th
- Shadowfang Keep Teleport Available in Wrath Classic