Season of Discovery Demonology Warlock Tank Guide
Welcome to our Demonology Warlock Tank guide for WoW Classic - Season of Discovery, tailored for PvE content. Here, you will learn how to play the Warlock class as a Demonology Warlock Tank. Click the links below to navigate the guide or read this page for a short introduction.
With Season of Discovery comes the biggest change Warlocks have ever received in the history of World of Warcaft. They can now tank. With Season comes the new Rune system, and with that comes the new Rune, Metamorphosis, which makes them become a main tank, right up there with the Protection Warriors, Protection Paladins and Feral Druids. Blizzard even added a plethora of Cloth gear with a large amount of armor and some Agility to help you tank even better if you choose to use it. While we may not have access to block or parry, we do have a solid source of damage mitigation and dodge. The Demonology talent tree is full of many talents that will help aid you in tanking with added Stamina, damage reduction and threat, and if you're feeling too tanky, both the Affliction and Destruction tree offers some high damage talents that will help you keep the threat off of all of the other DPS in the raid. Metamorphosis comes with new abiliites, as well as changing some of your old ones, such as:
- Menace, this replaces Fear and is now a full taunt on a 10 second cooldown.
- Demonic Howl is a powerful AoE taunt, making the enemies around you focus on you, on a 10 minute cooldown.
- Searing Pain is a very strong spell that causes high threat and is now instant cast.
- Shadow Bolt turns into Shadow Cleave and, while in Metamorphosis, you gain 500% armor, all your abilites cause 100% more threat and you gain twice as much Mana from Life Tap.
With these changes, and more, Warlocks will excel in tanking and will be a very popular class, with the ability to swap from tanking to dps by simply just swapping runes around. Whether you're tanking the boss or the trash mobs, you will be feeling comfortable and powerful.
- The best ranged tank in the game
- Strong single target threat generation
- Only needs one rune to be able to tank
- High Health, Stamina and Armor
- Unique utility, especially with the ability to summon demons
- Amazing debuffs that are required in all raids
- Relies on avoidance, which you don't have much of
- Has to cast a couple spells, leaving them vulnerable
- Lower AoE threat
- Has to farm Soul Shards
Season of Discovery
Warlock has received some major changes in the Season of Discovery version of Classic World of Warcraft, and with those changes come many new ways to play one of the games' original classes. Below we have included guides to keep you current on not only Season of Discovery changes, but general game play tips and lists so you are best prepared to tackle the new adventures that await you in the Season of Discovery on your Demonology Warlock.
With all the brand new abilities and runes, the rotation, gearing options, and talent decisions for Demonology Warlocks has changed drastically with Season of Discovery. Use the guides located in the Table of Contents at the top of this page to find all the information you'll need to master the Demonology Warlock.
Make sure to check out our Rune Engravings guide to best understand what each rune does for your Warlock. If you're unsure where to locate these runes, we've listed the location for every Season of Dicovery Rune in the guide below to help you find the best available runes for your class!.
- Blizzard on AoE Threat in SoD Phase 2
- Season of Discovery and Classic Era Hotfixes: February 16th
- Additional Tuning Coming to Priests in Season of Discovery
- Gnomeregan SoD DPS and Healer Rankings: Week 1
- SoD Subjugate Demon Nerf Due to 5-Minute Control of Metamorphosis Warlocks
- Upcoming Season of Discovery Phase 2 Class Tuning: February 20th
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: February 14th
- Shadowfang Keep Teleport Available in Wrath Classic