Season of Discovery Enhancement Shaman Tank Talents and Runes
On this page, you will find out the best PvE talents for your Enhancement Shaman Tank in WoW Classic — Season of Discovery, as well as advised runes.
Shaman Tank Talent Build
You will always want to take Shield Specialization to add survivability and more Shield Mastery procs on tough encounters. Anticipation and Parry further add to that survivability buffer, and the bottom part of the tree helps make your threat generation even stronger!
The main floating talents for the build would be the totem-enhancing ones, as Enhancing Totems and Improved Weapon Totems can both be useful, as long as your group needs these totems. In that case, move points from Anticipation into them as necessary.
Recommended Rune Engravings
- Gloves — Lava Lash (ST) or Molten Blast (AoE) or Water Shield (Mana)
- Pants — Way of Earth
- Chest — Shield Mastery (Survivability) or Dual Wield Specialization (Threat)
- Waist — Fire Nova (AoE), Maelstrom Weapon (ST) or Power Surge (Mana)
- Feet — Spirit of the Alpha (if not available from other Shaman) or Decoy Totem
Tank Shamans have the luxury of having a huge amount of viable runes to choose from. Other than Way of Earth, every rune slot is a decision. Molten Blast is fantastic for burst threat, especially in AoE scenarios, but also consumes a lot of Mana and prevents you from using Water Shield to sustain your Mana.
Shield Mastery is great for added survivability and helps with Mana on large AoE pulls but Dual Wield Specialization provides so much free Hit that it is a massive threat and DPS boost, if you can afford to dual-wield tank your next encounter, that is.
The Waist slot is the one with most viable options available. Fire Nova provides excellent AoE damage and threat, Maelstrom Weapon unlocks the usage of spells while tanking (whether for self-healing or added damage) and Power Surge provides even more Mana while also occasionally granting instant offensive spell casts.
Finally, the Feet slot is quite straightforward: Spirit of the Alpha should always be taken if you do not have an alternative way to obtain this buff in your group, but if you will already be getting it from other Shaman in the group, just get Decoy Totem for the small defensive and movement benefits.
More engravings are likely to come out as we reach higher level caps so make sure to double check our Shaman rune guide to know where to get the currently recommended runes and learn about future runes as they are made available.
- 08 Feb. 2024: Updated talents, runes and explanation text for Phase 2.
- 17 Dec. 2023: Completely reworked talents, adjusting them to the current meta.
- Upcoming Season of Discovery Phase 2 Class Tuning: February 27th
- WoW Hardcore Self-Found Mode Begins February 29th
- Dragonflight 10.2.5 and Season of Discovery Hotfixes, February 21st
- Gnomeregan Trinket Sends Player to Forbidden Zones in SoD Phase 2
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: February 20th
- Blizzard Acknowledges Gnomeregan Raid Lockout Bug
- Blizzard on AoE Threat in SoD Phase 2
- Season of Discovery and Classic Era Hotfixes: February 16th