Vlad

Minion Tempo Mage Standard

44 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Legendary Minion Tempo Mage Standard deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kroterholt said:

Could you explain why "cult sorcerer" is in the deck when C'thun isn't?

 

It gives you spell damage and has way better stats than Bloodmage Thalnos, which makes it a strong card.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, positiv2 said:

It gives you spell damage and has way better stats than Bloodmage Thalnos, which makes it a strong card.

Although I'd argue that taken on an individual base in a vacuum Bloodmage Thalnos is the better card thanks to his deathrattle, you can have two Cult Sorcerers in your deck; which make it the more consistent choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@KeizokuStats, it's all about stats. Bloodmage Thalnos's deathrattle is useful, but so are the extra stats of Cult Sorcerer. Cult Sorcerer does not die to pings, such as hero powers, Mortal Coil or Blood To Ichor, doesn't die to whirlwind effects, and therefore is more likely to survive more turns. In addition, she has more attack, which helps when you are pushing for lethal or when taking trades.
In this very deck, I'd say that they are on the same powerlevel (you can run 1 Cult Sorcerer with Bloodmage Thalnos) and you should choose depending on your matchups, but in more aggressive variants, Cult Sorcerer is the better option from these two cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly I don't have the dust for the arcane blasts, anything I can replace them with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Guest BioHazard said:

Sadly I don't have the dust for the arcane blasts, anything I can replace them with?

Second Arcane Anomaly, Forgotten Torch, my favourite Cabalist's Tome or almost any tech card, such as second Flamestrike.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guys, what I'd really love to try out an arcane giant and a cabalist tome in this deck. do you think it might work and if yes, what should i replace with it?

Edited by voose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, voose said:

guys, what I'd really love to try out an arcane giant and a cabalist tome in this deck. do you think it might work and if yes, what should i replace with it?

You can try -1 Faceless Summoner, -1 Ragnaros for +2 Arcane Giant. For Cabalist Tome, you can remove one of Mirror Image/Water Elemental/Arcane Anamoly. Thijs was running something similar to that on stream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can this deck really get to legendary?

When you start with mana wyrm and sorcerers apprentice and go second this deck is unstoppable.

But it seems like 90% of the time I mulligan for mana wyrm and end up with mirror entity and no cards I can play until turn 4-6, and by then any hope of retaking the board is lost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abelcain said:

Can this deck really get to legendary?

When you start with mana wyrm and sorcerers apprentice and go second this deck is unstoppable.

But it seems like 90% of the time I mulligan for mana wyrm and end up with mirror entity and no cards I can play until turn 4-6, and by then any hope of retaking the board is lost

Yes, this deck can go legend, but it will be slightly harder than with regular tempo mage.
You don't have to have huge board by turn 3. You can take the board on turns 5-6 by playing Flamewaker and a few spells to clear opponent's board while creating a board for yourself. Even if the opponent is able to gain board after that, you can just stall until you can drop Yogg-Saron, Hope's End.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 25, 2016 at 5:45 AM, positiv2 said:

Yes, this deck can go legend, but it will be slightly harder than with regular tempo mage.
You don't have to have huge board by turn 3. You can take the board on turns 5-6 by playing Flamewaker and a few spells to clear opponent's board while creating a board for yourself. Even if the opponent is able to gain board after that, you can just stall until you can drop Yogg-Saron, Hope's End.

Thank you for the advice, it helped. Before that I would panic by turn 6 and waste all my spells trying to keep them from overwhelming me, but saving them for flamewalker has been much better 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 This deck makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I've only ever made 3 legends so far: Archmage,Yogg, and Ragnaros. 

Excellent strategic advice about the addition of the Cult Sorcerers. I find Bloodmage Thanalos to be pretty replace-

able. I run Shifter Xerus sometimes as a catch-all minion. It has good mana curve but not really designed to last into

the late game. I'd support adding a Cabalist's Tome to it just for the ramp up on spells. Once again , kudos on the great

guide and advice !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quit running Yogg all together, sometimes Yogg just makes you win and is super fun to play. Sometimes it sets up an opponent win and makes you wanna toss your computer out the window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't have Ragnaros, the Firelord or a second Arcane Blast. I went ahead and chose to tech in Flamestrike for a board clear and a Forgotten Torch instead.  For the time being, can I get away with those tech choices? I'm definitely looking to climb to Legend with this build(or similar to this build). 

 

I appreciate all of the work that is put into these guides. It's helped me understand my Mage build way better. 

Edited by Stevie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stevie said:

I personally don't have Ragnaros, the Firelord or a second Arcane Blast. I went ahead and chose to tech in Flamestrike for a board clear and a Forgotten Torch instead.  For the time being, can I get away with those tech choices? I'm definitely looking to climb to Legend with this build(or similar to this build). 

 

I appreciate all of the work that is put into these guides. It's helped me understand my Mage build way better. 

I would probably go with Mirror Image rather than with Forgotten TorchForgotten Torch is a bit too slow and you usually want to end the game early, which means you won't draw Roaring Torch often enough to make Forgotten Torch a good swap. You could also include Archmage Antonidas since he is an additional win condition, just like Ragnaros the Firelord.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, positiv2 said:

I would probably go with Mirror Image rather than with Forgotten TorchForgotten Torch is a bit too slow and you usually want to end the game early, which means you won't draw Roaring Torch often enough to make Forgotten Torch a good swap. You could also include Archmage Antonidas since he is an additional win condition, just like Ragnaros the Firelord.

I have two Mirror Images in the deck currently. No Archmage Antonidas either, unfortunately. Relatively newer player.  I'm saving dust for either a second arcane blast or Ragnaros/Antonidas for sure.  I'll for sure cut the torch.  I may be better off saving for the second arcane blast after all.  In the meantime, I probably could run a second babbling book maybe?

 

Edited by Stevie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The text is not fully up to date with the changes from 12 september. Arcane anomaly is no longer in the deck, but it is still mentioned in the paragraph that is now about babbling book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guest arjan0307 said:

The text is not fully up to date with the changes from 12 september. Arcane anomaly is no longer in the deck, but it is still mentioned in the paragraph that is now about babbling book.

Will look into it and update as required, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stevie said:

I have two Mirror Images in the deck currently. No Archmage Antonidas either, unfortunately. Relatively newer player.  I'm saving dust for either a second arcane blast or Ragnaros/Antonidas for sure.  I'll for sure cut the torch.  I may be better off saving for the second arcane blast after all.  In the meantime, I probably could run a second babbling book maybe?

Yeah, that could work as a temporary switch, though the results will often be subpar. You could also try Arcane Anomaly if you face a lot of aggro decks.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this deck need to be updated post-Yogg nerf? Swap out Yogg for someone else? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Direwolf said:

Does this deck need to be updated post-Yogg nerf? Swap out Yogg for someone else? 

This deck is centered around Yogg-Saron, Hope's End (hence the name), and swapping him for a different card would make this deck a generic tempo mage with Ragnaros the Firelord. This deck should be moved to the "Unique decks" category instead imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find Yogg-Saron, Hope's End is really bad after the nerf... it simply kill himselves after 4th or 5th spell and doesnt give anything actually useful before he died.

Edited by ChaosDestiny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChaosDestiny said:

I find Yogg-Saron, Hope's End is really bad after the nerf... it simply kill himselves after 4th or 5th spell and doesnt give anything actually useful before he died.

Unfortunately, he is just even more RNG dependent. He still has the potential to be game changing, it's just more likely than it was before to be worse for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Oxygen

      Naiman_hs just revealed Voodoo Hexxer
      If you've missed any of the previously revealed cards, feel free to check them out on our Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion hub.
      Voodoo Hexxer

      Water Elemental's big sister, Voodoo Hexxer is very likely to find a place in any control-oriented shaman deck. Along the new weapon, it seems like the shaman class is being pushed towards Freezing. Stat-wise, Voodoo Hexxer is not all that great for cost, but it fulfills its purpose: it's hard to remove, it'll stall decks that rely on swarming, and even works against weapons. In control matchups, Voodoo Hexxer becomes a form of pseudo removal, especially when coupled with the aforementioned weapon.
    • By Oxygen

      Professor Putricide has been revealed by DDaHyoNi
      If you've missed any of the previously revealed cards, feel free to check them out on our Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion hub.
      Bring it On!

      This card is quite the surprise, and the second in the set seemingly designed to punish spell-heavy/combo decks. Whether this is viable depends entirely on the meta at hand, of course, but there is intricate synergy at play here between Dirty Rat and Shield Slam; pull a minion out, thus avoiding the downside of reducing its cost, then slam it right in for a mighty 10 damage. Could it also be used to bait board swarms for an impending Brawl? I like it.
      Coldwraith

      Considering mages are very lacking in the 3-drop department, we may be looking at a new mage staple here, especially considering how popular Frostbolt and Primordial Glyph currently are. The revealed mage death knight card also seems to promote the use of Water Elemental, furthering your ability to get value out of the Freeze-related effect. Might Freeze mages even consider running this? Probably, since their game plan is all about... well, Freezing and drawing. Pretty cool card, if I may.
    • By L0rinda

      The Mage Legendary from Knights of the Frozen Throne has been revealed, and it is called Sindragosa. It is the seventeenth card to be revealed from the upcoming expansion.
      Sindragosa is an interesting card, and a difficult one to evaluate. It is also worth noting that it is a Dragon.

      Sindragosa provides plenty of value. It is a very slow minion, but we have recently seen with Medivh, the Guardian, that slow value is very playable in the correct deck. Value Mage has been a feature of the Journey to Un'Goro meta under various names, and there is no reason to believe that will change after Knights of the Frozen Throne is released. The main obstacle to it seeing play will be the competition from cards such as Archmage Antonidas and Medivh, and whether there are enough slots available in decks for multiple high Mana cards. 
      This is a card that we can expect to be tested on multiple live streams in the early days of the expansion. At the very least, it is another card that will allow people with smaller collections to play with some of the most powerful cards in the game. What Sindragosa's future is beyond that, is difficult to predict. Feel free to post your predictions in this thread!
      For a list of all of the cards spoiled so far, as well as all of the information about Knights of the Frozen Throne, check out our Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion hub.
    • By L0rinda

      The latest new card to be revealed is a Rogue Common, Vampiric Poison. It is the sixteenth card to be revealed so far.
      Vampiric Poison uses the new keyword Lifesteal. Lifesteal heals the hero for an amount equal to damage done, in the same way as Wickerflame Burnbristle.

      In a vacuum, it seems that this card is not very good. Health totals tend to be a long way behind tempo gain in terms of how important they are to a deck, and playing Vampiric Poison will often throw away a card for no gain in tempo. When put into context of the current meta, Rogue does need a heal fairly urgently. Unfortunately Vampiric Poison is only an effective heal when put on a weapon with either high attack, or with high durability, and current rogue decks play neither.  Anyone looking to try to make this card work would do well to consider Assassin's Blade and work from there.
      For more information on the upcoming expansion, and the cards that have been revealed so far, check out our Knights of the Frozen Throne hub.
    • By Oxygen

      Mountainfire Armor and Nerubian Unraveler have been revealed by Tesdey, Reynad, and Eloise.
      If you've missed any of the previously revealed cards, feel free to check them out in our Knights of the Frozen Throne guide.
      Mountainfire Armor

      Deathrattle: If it's your opponent's turn, gain 6 Armor.
      Vanilla test? ✓
      Strong effect? ✓

      If we're to learn anything from Shieldmaiden, it's that cards that don't even pass the vanilla test but provide a significant amount of armor will see play and feel amazing in control-oriented warrior decks. Whether control warriors will come back to life given the still-existence of Jade druids and the  like is questionable however, but if it does, this card will certainly be MVP. Value-wise, its Deathrattle, if triggered properly, is worth a bit over 2 mana. Giving this Taunt through Sunfury Protector or Defender of Argus might be one way to ensure it triggers, though its pseudo-area of effect protection is also to be underlined. Would Pirate and Taunt warriors run this guy? Doubtful. It is pretty good for arena however, though it sports an unfortunate rare rarity, meaning you won't see it a lot.
       
      Nerubian Unraveler

      I'm not too sure what to think of this. On one hand, this looks to be some kind of anti combo deck tech card. Unfortunately, its cost seems really prohibitive, making it difficult to drop it in a pinch along something else for a strong turn, and its stats are so underwhelming despite the effect being mirrored that it may end up being a dead draw against anything that doesn't rely on spells. Might decks that don't run many spells such as Ramp druids or more experimental Handbuff paladins be seen running this? Maybe. Innervating this out, or better yet, finding one with Barnes may certainly be annoying to deal with, especially considering the effect stacks; get enough of these out on the field, and nobody has to ever worry about spells again. Though I feel this is unlikely to ever see serious play, I'm sure we'll have plenty of Evolve and Moonglade Portal related occasions to make sure this guy shows up to throw a monkey wrench in your occasional match.