FORUMS
Zadina

Witching Hour & Witchwood Grizzly Reveals: The Witchwood

jno9W9s.jpg

Two new Rare cards were just revealed: a Druid spell and a Neutral minion.

Both cards were revealed by French site Hearthstone Decks. I will start with the Neutral minion first:

witchwood-grizzly-hearthstone-card.jpg

Witchwood Grizzly is a great tool against aggro decks, apart from Paladin who has an easy turn 6 answer with Sunkeeper Tarim. This card can do wonders in Priest, since you can heal it, and it also works greatly with the newly revealed legendary, Lady in White. The Grizzly's strength lies in the fact that it can be cheated into the board with Recruit: we can potentially see it in a Quest Recruit Warrior deck and it works nicely with Master Oakheart. It's also good in Hunter with Kathrena Winterwisp and just imagine getting it as a Zombeast option!

The second card is called Witching Hour and it's a Druid spell.

witching-hour-hearthstone-card.jpg

Druid has been getting Beast support for a while now, but unfortunately the deck was never viable. However, Druid will need to find a new archetype to survive during the first expansion of the Year of the Raven, since it will lose its only currently viable deck: Jade Druid. Witching Hour isn't as disappointing as it looks: the random aspect balances the card out, but its mana cost is pretty low and it can bring back stuff like Druid of the Claw, a token from Spreading Plague or Tyrantus.

I don't think it's a coincidence that these two cards were revealed together. Witchwood Grizzly may not work with Oaken Summons, but we've seen some Druid decks run Master Oakheart and it works well with Hadronox too. Taunt Druid can resurface as a viable archetype and both cards can have uses in Big Druid. I wonder if we'll get more decent Beasts in this expansion: it's about a dark forest, after all!

Let us know what you think about these two cards. Since the article about the reveal schedule is not in the main page anymore, here's the link for it so you don't miss out on any of the reveals. Our Witchwood hub also contains everything relevant to Hearthstone's latest expansion.

Wow, Grizzly is a good card. Nice design for sure, and very strong body to stop aggro on its tracks. Even against paladin, you never know when will Tarim hit the board and you always have a second copy. Also card art seems cool. Master Oakheart and Hadronox has a strong synergy as Zadina already mentioned.

Can't say the same for the second card. To play the card safely, you need to have some amount of beasts. Unfortunately there are not so many powerful beasts and I don't think you play Tyrantus for this. Bringing back Grizzly without any health decrease might be good, other than that I don't see many use for that card. One more thing, if all beasts are taunts until that point, it fuels Hadronox even more. 

1 hour ago, FanOfValeera said:

Can't say the same for the second card. To play the card safely, you need to have some amount of beasts. Unfortunately there are not so many powerful beasts and I don't think you play Tyrantus for this. Bringing back Grizzly without any health decrease might be good, other than that I don't see many use for that card. One more thing, if all beasts are taunts until that point, it fuels Hadronox even more. 

I dont know, I can see some druid build with only one or two more powerul beasts (lke witchwood grizzly) if the rest of the deck contains no other beasts i will most certainly get value and count as a goode tempo play too. I'm not saying it's gonna be a staple but I dont think the card is obsolete at all

Shame scarabs are beasts otherwise these two guys would work great together.

I wouldn’t say Jade is the only viable druid deck; I made Legend in standard pretty fast this season with non-quest combo maly druid (ixlid-faceless-break twig-maly-moonfireX2 for 42dmg OTK against control, favoured just defending against Paladin/Mage, Medivh also in there as an alternative mid-late game option when you need some tempo against midrange rather than trying to stall for the combo). There’s also the quest version and the cube-devilsaur-faceless-kun-deathwing quest one too, dunno how they fare - look weaker against aggro as they have to play the 5/1 deathrattle for oaken summons instead of the ironwood golems.

Edited by Bozonik

I'm not so sure about the Grizzly, but I can be wrong ofc. Against aggro 5 mana isn't really cheap, against other they might have about 6 cards in hand which gives you a 5 mana 3/6 which is not impressive.

Witching Hour, well, I think the low cost makes it nice but the random nature makes it bad, either limiting your deck too much or playing it with low impact results. Might be nice in a Jungle Giants Deck though

Gee, I wonder if those two cards were printed together and meant to be played together... at this rate, your druid deck is more or less automatically completing itself.

Whoever's in charge of druid design was pretty lazy last expansion as well (you'll remember the Oaken Summons & Ironwood Golem combo), but this time around, Witchwood Grizzly is neutral, at least.

It's very good good for Zombeast or common hunter decks because of the stats for the mana cost but not much for Kathrena, costs only 5 and has only 3 atk, Kathrena needs cards on power level of King Krush and Charged Devilsaur. If you summon Kath and pull a 3/12 taunt it can be ok if you're behind but you have just passed the whole turn to deploy a 6/6 dr + 3/12 taunt, taunt that coulda be silenced or removed without gaining you much for how much you spent for, I really doubt that a card that cost under 8 mana is a worth pull from Kath. Savannah Highmane is too weak for Kath this fall in the same category. If it was like say the Obsidian Statue woulda have been Kath material as a good defensive pull.