FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aleco

Three More "Swap" Cards Revealed

36701-wing-blast-reveal-the-witchwood.jp

I expect two of these Neutral minions to never leave your collection, but one of them has the potential to see some serious play.

Three more cards which read "Each turn this is in your hand, swap its Attack and Health" have been revealed by Shacknews:

04_02_HS_GIL_CardRevealRecaps_Social_182

The first few cards with this ability to be revealed, Duskhaven Hunter and Pumpkin Peasant, were a bit uninspiring, but a few of these new cards have the keyword Rush on them and deserve a good hard look.

Swift Messenger will come down as a 6/2 with Rush if you keep it in your opening hand, which means that for most intents and purposes it will be a Fireball that can only deal damage to minions. A wide variety of decks from all classes will be interested in this effect, which means that I expect Swift Messenger to actually see quite a bit of play. There are some downsides to ol' Swifty though - its not a very strong topdeck as it will come down with its less preferable 2/6 body the turn you draw it.

Spellshifter (not to be confused with Shellshifter) is the next minion in a fairly long line of Spell Damage cards which I expect to never see play. A modular 4/1 is kind of good against non Mage/Druid/Paladin/Rogue decks, but I've seen way too many slightly efficient Spell Damage minions from the past few sets be relegated to bench duty to get excited about Spellshifter. Tainted Zealot only sees play because of its synergy with Defile, while Bloodmage Thalnos has long been the only Spell Damage minion to see reliable play.

This brings us to Gilnean Royal Guard, which has a body as enormous as its Mana cost. The fact that it has Divine Shield peaks my curiosity a bit, but I have a hard time imagining that this will be the best possible 8 drop for your Control deck. The Lich King isn't rotating with The Witchwood, and most classes have something akin to Tirion Fordring in their card pool which blows this out of the water. Its debatable that its even as good as the OG Rush minion, Charged Devilsaur. I think it'll be a no on Gilnean Royal Guard for me, dog.

What do you think about our new "swap" cards? Let us know in the comment section, and check out our Witchwood Hub for more spoilers from the upcoming expansion.

They are material for Lady in white decks, 8/8 rush divine shield is huge, since you can also play them even if you don't draw the lady.

Also is worth mentinion how an 8/3 rush divine is way stronger than Lich king since it removes an 8 hp minion that usually opponent spent around 8 mana to drop and leave a thing on the board the opponent must instantly kill

Edited by Hanz39
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hanz39 said:

They are material for Lady in white decks, 8/8 rush divine shield is huge, since you can also play them even if you don't draw the lady.

Good point about Lady in White! I'm frustrated with myself that I missed that...

• Haha 2

Well, spellshifter is dust. Swift Messenger I can see as an option in decks that lack removal, but I think the swapping thing just makes it awkward. Royal Guard just doesn’t seem quite right, a deck that’s interested in controlling the board at turn 8+ probably has better options than 8-mana deal 8 to a minion, summon an 8/3. For some reason I feel uncomfortable writing it off completely though.

Lady in White is a good point, whilst I’m not expecting to have to recraft my dusted spellshifters the other two could work with that.

Thalnos hasn't been the only spell damage minion which saw play reliably. We had the mighty Azure Drake, which was more popular than Thalnos.

I don't see any of these cards working outside of a LitW deck. And if that deck becomes a thing, we will have some serious problems. It either means the expansion sucked badly or Lady in the White (btw, this name might came from an old Mexican Tale called La Llorona) has more support and priest can spam s***load of overstatted minions. I think the card will be like Keleseth a bit. If you play it on T6, you are good to go, if you can't draw her, have fun with your 1/10s.

Overall, quality of these cards is pretty much like the quality of cards revealed so far.

• Like 1

Looking at Spellshifter just reminds me of poor Dalaran Mage.

Patch 1.0.0.3890 (2013-10-02): Attack lowered to 1, down from 2. Spell Damage +1 [3 mana, 1 attack, 4 health, Common]

Hmm...

I really don't find this stat swap mechanic to be interesting. At least it's thematic with the whole Worgen form thing; in fact, most current Worgen cards could probably inherit this swap mechanic and still be balanced (or weak, even), as most of them don't see play nowadays.

Raging Worgen*

Twisted Worgen

Worgen Greaser

Worgen Infiltrator

Yea, I thought first about  Dalaran Mage too. And even though it sounds totally embarrassing I think if you need a spell damage minion this one is ok and the only one playable of those 3 cards revealed in this topic.

I mean Dalaran Mage is bad and well, it's a basic card, because no one wants a 3 mana 1/4 but at 2 mana it's pretty much like any of 2 mana minions that have stats like 3/2 or 2/3 and do something like Sorcerer's Apprentice but in this case less offensive but more health.

Anyway none of these seem to be really playable.

/edit: hey @Oxygen don't edit your post while I type mine :D I agree they could have the shift/swap too and I think only Worgen Infiltrator sees play occasionally the rest nope ^^ 

/oxygen edit: I'm a mod, I can do anything I want! ;)

14 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

Thalnos hasn't been the only spell damage minion which saw play reliably. We had the mighty Azure Drake, which was more popular than Thalnos.

Evolved Kobold was a mainstay in classic Freeze Mage for quite a while.