Moira Guide “Science will reveal the truth.”
Table of Contents
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Synergies and Matchups
Overview of Moira
Moira O'Deorain is a geneticist who specializes in biotic fluids that can both help and harm soldiers during combat. This scientist turned Talon councilwomen fights only for herself and her quest to change the world through genetic mutations. Similar to other mad scientists, Moira wants to push the boundaries of ethics and humanity in order to actualize the highly controversial capabilities of unhindered scientific study.
Moira is a main support who specializes in healing batches of teammates in a short span of time. Her primary fire weapon, Biotic Grasp (LMB), is not a weapon at all, but an energy that flows from her left arm and heals the allies in front of her in a specific area of effect radius.
Although Moira has one of the best AoE healing abilities in the game, she also has the option to deal damage through her Biotic Grasp (RMB). This single-target ability is a flow of energy that sucks the life out of her enemy, healing Moira of any damage she may have sustained on the battlefield.
One of the main decisions Moira players have to make is whether to heal their team or heal themselves while dealing damage. When Moira is attacked with her team, she may have to choose between healing her allies or staying alive. The choice in these critical scenarios is one of the major contributing factors to excellent Moira play (we will touch on this more on her playstyle page).
Speaking of decisions, Moira's other healing/damage ability is called Biotic Orb. Biotic Orb is a ball of energy that Moira sends out from herself in order to heal allies or harm enemies. This Orb travels in a straight path from Moira's point of view when sent out, but interacts with walls and obstacles in the Overwatch universe to change directions. This ability has a long cooldown and can stay on the battlefield for a full duration of 10 seconds. As a result of the long cooldown, Moira must use Biotic Orb efficiently and with a lot of planning, otherwise the ability can travel off the map and be completely useless.
Moira's main mobility ability, Fade, is an instant cast move that takes Moira out off the battlefield and gives her invisibility, invulnerability, and extremely high movement speed for 0.8 seconds. High skill Moira players can use Fade to evade certain-death enemy abilities or to surprise and kill enemy players with low health.
Moira's ultimate, Coalescence, is a large beam that shoots out of Moira's hands that heals all allies and harms all enemies who are caught in its wake. Coalescence is arguably one of the most versatile support ultimates in the game since it deals damage and heals allies at the same time. Due to its versatility, Coalescence's usage can be the difference between handedly winning a teamfight and losing an objective. For this reason, players wanting to master Moira should take a look at our playstyle page for tips on how and when to use Coalescence for maximum in-game impact.
- Has some of the best AoE healing in the game
- Is a decent duelist against enemy flankers
- Is versatile due to her healing/damage options
- Can use Fade to easily escape enemies
- Can use Coalescence to deal damage and simultaneously heal allies
- Can build Coalescence ultimate charge quickly
- Only a viable healer when allies stick together
- Lacks consistent medium and long range healing
- Damage-dealing abilities can be underwhelming against highly ranked players
- Biotic Orb is arguably one of the hardest support abilities to use effectively
- Coalescence is easily countered by interrupting abilities (Roadhog's Chain Hook, McCree's Flashbang, and others).
Moira Is Strong Against
Moira TL;DR Tips
- Moira can deal damage to enemies, but players must make healing allies a priority if they want to take her to the next level of play.
- Moira's Coalescence is easy to charge, and should be used to ensure victories in challenging team fights, or to split enemy teams for easy picks.
- Moira should use Biotic Orb sparingly due to its high cooldown, relying on Biotic Grasp (LMB) to get the job done in most cases.
- If Moira's team wins a fight, she should use her Biotic Grasp in spurts to heal her allies, rather than holding down the trigger and wasting precious biotic energy. Players should let Biotic Grasp's 16 healing a second do the grunt work of healing allies when outside of a fight.
- Coalescence should rarely be used as a counter to deadly burst damage ultimates like Barrage and RIP-Tire. Her team will most likely take too much damage to prevent with Coalescence alone.
- Fade can be used to chase enemies, but it should typically be saved for dodging crucial enemy abilities like Flashbang or Chain Hook.
- Moira has to keep her Biotic Grasp stream directly on allies to regenerate 80 health a second on her teammates. Therefore, it is better to focus on healing a tank who is getting focused rather than topping off semi-wounded offensive heroes.
- The healing properties of Biotic Orb are stronger than its damage-dealing properties. Remember that out-sustaining the enemy is sometimes more effective than out-damaging the enemy.
About our Author
Mournflakes is a flex Grandmaster Overwatch player who boasts a career high SR rating of 4433. His favorite heroes are Roadhog, Soldier: 76, and Ana. He has played Overwatch since its initial release, and has put over 700 hours into competitive play. When not writing guides, you can catch Mournflakes streaming on his Twitch channel.
Reading Further for Moira
To take things further, we have 4 more pages that you can read:
- Abilities and Strategy: an overview of your hero's abilities and how to use them;
- Playstyle: a detailed explanation on how to play your hero;
- Maps: how to make the best use of your hero on each map;
- Synergies and Matchups: where we detail your synergies, your counters, and the heroes you work well against.
- 14 May 2018 (this page): Guide added.
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Synergies and Matchups
- Quick Official Video Highlight Summaries for the Announcements at BlizzCon
- New Battle.net Desktop App Beta
- Overwatch: What's Next Panel Summary
- BlizzCon 2019 Content Hub
- Full BlizzCon Schedule Revealed
- Overwatch 2 Announced
- Warcraft 3: Reforged Beta Keys for All Virtual Ticket Holders
- BlizzCon 2019 Opening Ceremony Recap
- Fever Clan - Looking For More Overwatch Players!
- Which countries are Overwatch characters from?
- Overwatch Reinhardt
- Hanzo - Simple Geometry
- Sorry Sombra
- Overwatch Wrecking Ball
- Overwatch Point Capture
- Overwatch Genji Skins