Torbjörn Guide “I don't like all this standing around.”
Table of Contents
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Synergies and Matchups
1. Overview of Torbjorn (Torbjorn Lindholm)
Torbjorn's Rivet Gun includes a primary and secondary fire best used in specific scenarios. His primary fire launches an arcing projectile that can hit medium to long range targets. His secondary fire is a shotgun-blast projectile best used in close-quarters combat.
In addition to his Rivet Gun, Torbjorn also has a close-range melee weapon called Forge Hammer. Forge Hammer is not known for its deadliness, but it can be used to repair Torbjorn's turrets, making it an effective tool during combat.
Torbjorn's main ability is called Deploy Turret. As the name suggests, Torbjorn deploys a mini-turret that automatically tracks and shoots enemies who are within its distance and line of sight. While good on its own, Torb's turret is an integral part of Torbjorn's finishing abilities.
Molten Core is Torbjorn's ultimate ability. Molten Core turns Torbjorn's primary weapon into a molten slag spewer. This lava-like substance sticks to the floor and harms any enemy who travels through its path. The magma deals high amounts of damage, but it is especially effective against armor hit points.
2. Torbjorn's Strengths
- Can deal massive amounts of damage when left unchecked.
- One of the few damage characters whose primary role is defense and damage.
- Can sit in the backline with the healers.
- Can lockdown choke points and objectives thanks to turret.
- Weapons are versatile for any situation.
- Small character model.
3. Torbjorn's Weaknesses
- Easy to play, difficult to master.
- Coordinated teams easily negate Torbjorn's turret.
- Mid-range Rivet Gun shots are hard to land
- Molten Core is only effective if enemy team plays into its hand.
4. Torbjörn Synergiesbackline heroes or he is fighting with his tanks on the frontline. Reinhardt is arguably the best tank for Torbjorn because his Barrier Field can protect Deploy Turret and force enemies to attempt to fight close-quarters, where Rivet Gun excels. The sheer firepower of McCree and an Torbjorn with Overload is a force to be reckoned with, and both heroes can deal massive amounts of damage in short and mid-range fights. Zenyatta helps Torbjörn with his Orb of Discord and also has an unmatched ability to draw flankers to himself. When flankers do come, Torbjorn's turret and Rivet Gun help him protect Zenyatta from getting overwhelmed.
5. Torbjörn CountersDeploy Turret. Widowmaker's Widow's Kiss deals extreme long-range damage, which limits Torbjorn's positioning options. Pharah can fly over choke points and deal massive damage with Rocket Launcher, making Deploy Turret and Molten Core obsolete. Zenyatta's Transcendence nullifies Molten Core completely, and can help teams push past choke points with ease.
6. Torbjörn Is Strong Againstharass enemies in close quarter fights. Winston is often no match for Rivet Gun, especially when backed by Overload. Doomfist enjoys going behind the enemy and getting picks, but Deploy Turret makes that difficult, and Torbjorn is not a good target for Doomfist to dive. Lastly, Brigitte rallies her team together for slow assaults, but Torbjorn's Molten Core can easily thwart such plans.
7. Torbjörn TL;DR Tips
- Torbjörn can be played one of two ways: he can either babysit the backline or deal massive amounts of damage on the frontline. Typically, against dive, you babysit backline, whereas against slow moving teams (like triple tank, deathball, etc.), you want to sit on the frontline.
- Wait to use Overload when enemies engage up close, rarely use Overload when you cannot use the secondary fire of Rivet Gun.
- Deploy Turret is best used behind friendly barriers or in corners that overlook the objective/choke point.
- Shoot Molten Core in front of enemies for maximum damage.
- Shoot Molten Core in spurts, instead of holding down the primary-fire keybind.
- Try to hit healers and flankers with Rivet Gun's primary fire so Deploy Turret shoots those targets instead of enemy tanks.
About our Author
Mournflakes is a flex Grandmaster Overwatch player who boasts a career high SR rating of 4433. His favorite heroes are Roadhog, Soldier: 76, and Ana. He has played Overwatch since its initial release, and has put over 700 hours into competitive play. When not writing guides, you can catch Mournflakes streaming on his Twitch channel.
8. Reading Further for Torbjörn
To take things further, we have 4 more pages that you can read:
- Abilities and Strategy: an overview of your hero's abilities and how to use them;
- Playstyle: a detailed explanation on how to play your hero;
- Maps: how to make the best use of your hero on each map;
- Synergies and Matchups: where we detail your synergies, your counters, and the heroes you work well against.
- 10 Oct. 2018 (this page): Guide rewritten.
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Synergies and Matchups
- Blizzard World Disabled Everywhere Except Arcade
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #31
- Live Patch Notes: Dec 11 - Brigitte, Doomfist, McCree and Torbjorn Changes, Winter Wonderland and More
- Winter Wonderland Is Here! Skins, Maps and More
- Four More Winter Wonderland Skins Revealed
- Winter Wonderland Returns + New Skin Previews
- Blizzard Gift Card
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #30
- Overwatch Ana
- Overwatch Zarya
- You Don’t Need to Buy A Virtual Ticket to Get the Sombra Skin
- Overwatch Winston
- Overwatch Tracer
- Fever Clan - Looking For More Overwatch Players!
- Overwatch Sombra
- Overwatch Widowmaker