Reinhardt Guide “Crusader online!”
Table of Contents
- +Synergies and Matchups
- +Abilities and Strategy
This guide takes an in-depth look at how to play Reinhardt in Overwatch. We look at the strengths and weaknesses of the hero, and we go over mechanics, recommended strategies, and things to beware of.
Reinhardt acts as the strongest anchor tank in Overwatch. This is mainly due to his ability to move his Barrier Field, despite Orisa actually blocking more damage over time. He protects key damage dealers, such as Soldier: 76 and Bastion, while still being able to change position as required. For healers, but most notably Ana, Reinhardt is a perfect target for charging your ultimate as well as unleashing it. He is a big target that can feed healing to your supports, while still ensuring he stays safe when in danger by putting his shield up. Both Mei and Orisa are well suited to pair with Reinhardt on any choke point, since they both allow him time to recharge his shield and prevent the enemy team diving during that downtime.
Reinhardt is an excellent tank, but once his shield is down, he essentially becomes a big training target. Characters that can either displace Reinhardt, such as Doomfist, Pharah or Junkrat, or stun/interrupt him, such as McCree and Sombra, can cause serious issues for your team. Those few seconds of shieldless fighting can be enough for an enemy to make a pick on your team. In more one-on-one focused scenarios, Reaper is a huge issue for Reinhardt, especially with his new ability, The Reaping. Tracer is just as problematic, given her ability to simply kite you.
3. Strong Against
Reinhardt's Barrier Field is a huge part of his kit and essentially renders snipers useless, given that you position yourself well. A well placed shield can ensure that an enemy Widowmaker or Hanzo will be unable to get picks on your supports, allowing them to freely heal your team. His shield is equally effective against heroes such as Soldier: 76 and Torbjörn, who both rely on sustained damage to finish off enemies. By simply hiding behind your shield, your team can apply pressure on them and the turret, ensuring they are dealt with quickly.
4. TL;DR Tips
- You are the driving force of your team. Make sure you are on the front lines, directing your team's focus and push.
- Be vocal about your barrier health. If it is about to break (below 750 HP), let your team know so that they can move out of the way and are not taken by surprise.
- Make sure you know the positions of the enemy before using your Charge. It can easily end up killing you and allowing your enemy to push the choke point without you there.
- When swinging your hammer, turn your camera from side to side to ensure that you hit people as soon as possible.
- Position yourself in front of your damage dealers on high ground so that they can take full advantage of it. Only drop down to fight when necessary to save the point.
- Pay close attention to enemy abilities and their cooldowns, such as Roadhog's Chain Hook. Never drop your shield to Fire Strike if you might endanger your teammates.
5. Role in the Current Meta
Reinhardt, for the first time, is no longer the prime choice to fill the tank role in every situation. With dive compositions becoming so incredibly potent in the current meta and Orisa being given a number of buffs, Reinhardt simply does not have a role on as many teams. On the attacking side, Winston has become a replacement for Reinhardt, comboing perfectly with either D.Va or Zarya to ensure priority targets die quickly. You will still see Reinhardt picked to counter certain defence compositions that require a mobile shield to push with. For defence, Reinhardt still holds a strong possible position, but this has been challenged by Orisa in the recent patch changes. He is no longer a go-to, guaranteed pick on defence.
6. About our Author
Blainie is a Grand Master Support and Tank player, with a focus on analysis of gameplay and the meta surrounding Overwatch. He regularly streams his ranked games on Twitch, where he can answer any questions you may have about the game or guides.
7. Reading Further
To take things further, we have 2 more pages that you can read:
- Synergies and Matchups: where we detail your synergies, your counters, and the heroes you work well against;
- Abilities and Strategy: an overview of your hero's abilities and how to use them.
8. ChangeLog+ show all entries - show only 10 entries
- 09 Sep. 2017 (this page): Guide added.
- +Synergies and Matchups
- +Abilities and Strategy
- PTR Patch Notes: D.Va Changes Sep 22
- Save $20 on Overwatch: Game of the Year Edition
- Battle.net App Update: Sep 22
- Samwise Didier Reddit AMA Summary: Sep 21
- Junkertown, Mercy and D.Va: Sep 19 Patch Notes
- Free Overwatch Weekend Sep 22-25
- BlizzCon 2017 Virtual Ticket Rewards: Stormwind Skychaser & Orgrimmar Interceptor
- BlizzCon 2017 Goody Bag (via IGN)
- Overwatch Animated Short - The Last Bastion
- [PC][NA/EU] Team Special Forces looking for all types of players
- Overwatch Doomfist
- Overwatch Orisa
- Overwatch Reaper
- Overwatch Payload
- Dance with me baby
- Sorry Sombra