Symmetra Guide “Order is restored.”
Table of Contents
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Synergies and Matchups
Overview of Symmetra (Satya Vaswani)
Symmetra is a dps hero who uses photon weapons and utility abilities to aid her team to victory. Although Symmetra was a long time off support hero in the Overwatch universe, she became a damage-dealing hero during season 10 of competitive play. However, even with her changes, she still has some of her trademark qualities including her health pool made up of a combination of regular health and shields and the use of her trusty Teleporter and Sentry Turret.
Symmetra's weapon's primary fire (and primary dps ability) is called Photon Projector. This weapon is potent against any enemy Symmetra faces due to its damage-growing capabilities. The longer Symmetra's Photon Projector hits an enemy, the more damage it deals (with a max output of 180 damage a second!). As Photon Projector is a beam weapon similar to Zarya's Particle Cannon, building energy should be a simple task against enemy tanks.
Although Photon Projector is potent, the range of its beam is limiting. However, Symmetra's kit includes a long-range secondary fire called Energy Ball. Energy Ball is a channel ability that, when released, fires a sphere of photon energy in whatever direction Symmetra is aiming. The sphere travels in a straight line that explodes on impact, dealing damage in direct proportion to the duration of its charge. Due to the ball's slow travel time, hitting enemies from far away is a challenge, however, a successful hit is devastating to enemies with small health pools.
An ability that has been with Symmetra since her inception, Sentry Turret, is a projectile ability that fires a Sentry Turret that attaches to in-game scenery. Walls, trees, cars, and other objects turn into Symmetra's allies as her Sentry Turrets deal damage and slow enemies who are both in sight and in range of the turrets. These turrets are an integral part of Symmetra's kit, as they make getting through choke points and capturing objectives extremely difficult for enemy players.
Another ability that has been with Symmetra since the beginning of Overwatch, Teleporter, is her only mobility ability, but it is technically a utility as well. Teleporter lets Symmetra create a quick access point for her and her team to get from point A to point B. Teleporter has many utilizations (which we will go over in our playstyle portion of the guide), but for now, all you need to know is that Teleporter is THE reason why Symmetra is so viable.
Photon Barrier was introduced into Symmetra's kit later on in her development, but it has since gone from a regular ability to her ultimate. Photon Barrier creates a giant shield that stretches from map end to map end, dissecting buildings and running through walls. This shield is the ultimate tank wall, as it can stop an incredible 5,000 damage (you know it is a beast when it can soak an entire Pharah ultimate and still have 1,400 health left over).
- Can deal massive amounts of damage when left unchecked.
- One of the few damage characters that can help defend her team from attackers.
- Teleporter makes effective team positioning a breeze.
- Can lockdown choke points and objectives thanks to her Sentry Turrets.
- Easy to deal damage with despite poor aim.
- Easy to play, difficult to master.
- Coordinated teams can easily negate some of Symmetra's abilities
- Misplays of Teleporter and Photon Barrier can have severe consequences.
- Struggles in long-distance engagements.
Symmetra Is Strong Against
Symmetra TL;DR Tips
- Symmetra's Sentry Turrets should always be placed together for maximum damage output, as scattering three turrets in a variety of locations is typically unhelpful.
- Symmetra can use enemy barriers to build up Photon Projector's damage.
- Allies can use Symmetra's Teleporter during a channel ability, which means Symmetra should coordinate Teleporter with abilities like McCree's Deadeye and Reinhardt's Charge to catch enemies off-guard.
- When defending yourself against flankers, Energy Ball is your best opening move when your Photon Projector is uncharged.
- Do not be afraid to use Photon Barrier preemptively because it lasts 15 seconds, which means it is better to use it early in a teamfight as opposed to using it too late.
About our Author
Mournflakes is a flex Grandmaster Overwatch player who boasts a career high SR rating of 4433. His favorite heroes are Roadhog, Soldier: 76, and Ana. He has played Overwatch since its initial release, and has put over 700 hours into competitive play. When not writing guides, you can catch Mournflakes streaming on his Twitch channel.
Reading Further for Symmetra
To take things further, we have 4 more pages that you can read:
- Abilities and Strategy: an overview of your hero's abilities and how to use them;
- Playstyle: a detailed explanation on how to play your hero;
- Maps: how to make the best use of your hero on each map;
- Synergies and Matchups: where we detail your synergies, your counters, and the heroes you work well against.
- 02 Jul. 2018 (this page): Guide added.
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Synergies and Matchups
- The New Battle.net Is Almost Here, Going Live in NA
- Merry Christmas from the Icy Veins Team!
- Overwatch Is Free To Try until January 4th!
- Blizzard Sending Out New Surveys About "Classic" Version of The Burning Crusade
- Activision Blizzard's Stock Reached All-Time Highs
- Cyberpunk 2077 Wiki from IcyWiki
- A Call to Strike on Blizzard France Employees on Shadowlands Launch Day
- Blizzard Selling Face Masks on Gear Store
- Let's discuss to clarify the rumors about Overwatch 2 about Blizzard's new game.
- Rapture Gaming Recruiting new members for Xbox One!
- Fever Clan - Looking For More Overwatch Players!
- Which countries are Overwatch characters from?
- Overwatch Reinhardt
- Hanzo - Simple Geometry
- Sorry Sombra
- Overwatch Wrecking Ball