Season of Discovery Arcane Mage Healer Talents and Runes
On this page, you will find out the best PvE talents for your Arcane Mage healer in WoW Classic — Season of Discovery, as well as advised runes.
Mage Healer Talent Build
As the current maximum level is only 40, the talents you can pick from are very limited, but expect this page to drastically expand as the level cap increases.
Mages heal by dealing damage, which is converted to healing with the new Temporal Beacon mechanic, which you can place on a target with Regeneration or on many targets with Mass Regeneration.
As the healing is not split, you can ramp up for big raid damage events by setting up multiple beacons and then using your damage cooldowns, or stay Mana conservative by having only a few beacons out on important targets such as the tank, instead.
While the Arcane tree is very straightforward, as there are not many useful damage-increasing talents, a significant adjustment you can do to our proposed talents above is dropping some points in Magic Absorption and Arcane Focus in order to pick up Improved Arcane Missiles. While this will generally not be needed with the new Missile Barrage rune, getting even a single pushback and losing Missiles as a result can be extremely punishing in some encounters.
Points into Wand Specialization should no longer be needed, now that there are more Mana-conscious options to spend Arcane Blast charges on at high stacks.
Recommended Rune Engravings
- Gloves — Arcane Blast
- Pants — Mass Regeneration (Healing) or Living Flame (DPS)
- Chest — Regeneration
- Waist — Missile Barrage
- Feet — Chronostatic Preservation (Burst ST Healing) or Spell Power (DPS / AoE Healing)
The great thing about Mage Healer is that you can swap between healer and DPS by just changing your runes: just taking the Regeneration is enough to get a lot of focused healing done into your Temporal Beacon target while still doing a lot of damage!
Your area healing will be much better if you also take Mass Regeneration, and Chronostatic Preservation is a huge single target heal once charged, but neither is strictly necessary for all encounters.
Unfortunately, Living Flame was changed to, alongside Arcane Explosion, convert 80% lower healing on your Temporal Beacon targets, and is thus mostly a DPS-oriented rune now.
More Engravings are likely to come out as we reach higher level caps, so make sure to keep a tab on our general Mage Rune guide below to learn what they do, and where to find them:
Notable Mage Healer Talents
The Arcane tree is full of utility goodies for Mages, including very powerful damage boosting talents at the end of the tree. While not all of them are reachable at Level 40, here's a preview of the best stuff the tree has to offer:
Arcane Focus gives you 10% free Spell Hit for Arcane spells, which is a simple, but very powerful bonus!
Improved Arcane Missiles gives you up to 100% less cast time delay from damage on Arcane Missiles. Strong whenever you are being focused, but also a weak use of points if you are not the main focus target for enemies.
Arcane Concentration allows Clearcasting to happen after 10% of your casts, which saves a ton of Mana over time and allows gameplay such as using weaker, cheaper spells to proc it, followed by your strongest, most expensive spell. For now this does not work with healing runes such as Mass Regeneration, but that is something likely to be changed in the future so keep an eye out!
Presence of Mind makes your next spell be instantly cast, but only once every 3-minutes. This can be used to deal burst damage with Arcane Blast and other longer cast time spells, or to instantly crowd control an enemy with Polymorph, for example.
Arcane Power increases your damage by 30% but makes them also cost 30% more Mana, and only lasts 15 seconds, with a 3-minute cooldown. This is a very powerful boost to your damage and converted healing.
- 08 Feb. 2024: Updated talents, runes and explanation text for Phase 2.
- 19 Dec. 2023: Clarified that Living Flame post-hotfix can now consume Arcane Blast stacks.
- 15 Dec. 2023: Added reference to Arcane damage wands contributing towards Beacon healing and removed explanation of currently unreachable talents.
- 09 Dec. 2023: New recommended talents to account for BFD bosses only being MaxLevel +2, drastically lowering their Hit cap.
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: February 27th
- Season of Discovery: XP Buff, Mount Discounts, Gold Buffs and Future Phase Plans
- New Rewards for Waylaid Supply Factions Now Live
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: February 26th
- (Updated) Upcoming Season of Discovery Phase 2 Class Tuning: February 27th
- WoW Hardcore Self-Found Mode Begins February 29th
- Dragonflight 10.2.5 and Season of Discovery Hotfixes, February 21st
- Gnomeregan Trinket Sends Player to Forbidden Zones in SoD Phase 2