Season of Discovery Elemental Shaman DPS Guide
Welcome to our Elemental Shaman guide for WoW Classic - Season of Discovery, tailored for PvE content. Here, you will learn how to play the Shaman class as an Elemental Shaman. Click the links below to navigate the guide or read this page for a short introduction.
Elemental in particular has always been the caster damage specialization for Shamans, and especially deadly in PvP due to its massive burst damage combo with Elemental Mastery guaranteeing simultaneous critical strikes for Chain Lightning and Earth Shock and this is still true in Season of Discovery, but they will also be able to do much more damage than before with the new abilities described below!
- Mana starved until Shamanistic Rage is unlocked
- Relatively low sustained damage and damage scaling capabilities with gear
- Mobility issues (especially considering totems are immobile) and susceptible to crowd control
Season of Discovery
Elemental Shamans can now deal even more burst damage with the new Overload and Lava Burst runes!
Also, their old nemesis of Mana sustain can finally be overcome through the usage of Shamanistic Rage and double Rockbiter Weapon on dual-wielded weapons (unlocked for all specializations after unlocking the Lava Lash rune) for massive Mana returns, making Elemental play much smoother than it used to, and adding a new degree of min-maxing to the specialization.
The new waist runes, Power Surge and Fire Nova enable a choice between even more Mana regeneration and strong area DPS potential. Finally, Spirit of the Alpha provides fantastic utility in the feet slot, but you can also use Decoy Totem for extra survivability if it is being applied on the tank already.
Due to all the new abilities and runes, the rotation, gearing options, and talent decisions recommended for Elemental Shamans have changed and can be found in the guides in the Table of Content at the top of this page. Within these, you will find all the information you will need to master this new game mode!
The best profession to have as Elemental is Engineering. It provides powerful items that you can use in both PvE and PvP content to either deal damage or help you get out of a tough spot.
Leatherworking is also a great choice for Elemental Shamans due to special bind on pickup crafts such as Glowing Hyperconductive Scale Coif , which is best in slot in Phase 2, and further BoP crafts are expected down the line.
Rune Engravings for Elemental Shaman
The main feature of Season of Discovery is the new Rune Discovery system, which allows you to discover and attach special abilities to your gear slots after finding them across the world. We list all of Shaman's runes and where they can be located in the guide below.
- 18 Feb. 2024: Updated intro, strengths and weaknesses for Phase 2.
- 17 Dec. 2023: Revamped section with new layout and text explanation.
- Blizzard on AoE Threat in SoD Phase 2
- Season of Discovery and Classic Era Hotfixes: February 16th
- Additional Tuning Coming to Priests in Season of Discovery
- Gnomeregan SoD DPS and Healer Rankings: Week 1
- SoD Subjugate Demon Nerf Due to 5-Minute Control of Metamorphosis Warlocks
- Upcoming Season of Discovery Phase 2 Class Tuning: February 20th
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: February 14th
- Shadowfang Keep Teleport Available in Wrath Classic