WoW Classic Riding Profession Guide
Owning a mount in WoW Classic is quite a feat and this guide will take you through all the important information about riding and getting your first mount in the game.
We recommend using MapCoords, an addon which displays in-game coordinates on the map, in conjunction with the guide, as we include coordinates for riding trainers and mount vendors.
Differences Between Retail and WoW Classic
The Riding skill and obtaining mounts works entirely different in WoW Classic when compared to the live version of the game.
- Flying mounts do not exist in WoW Classic, just ground mounts.
- No "Mounts Tab" exists either, meaning you must store mounts in your inventory.
- The cast time of a mount is 3 seconds in WoW Classic, as opposed to 1.5 seconds on live servers.
- Your mount cannot swim and you will be dismounted when entering water in WoW Classic.
The amount of Gold you pay for the Riding skills and mounts can be reduced by up to 20% in WoW Classic.
- At Honored reputation standing with a faction, the price goes down by 10%.
- If you (or your friend*) reach Rank 3 in PvP, the price decreases by yet another 10%. This discount will not exist until the release of the Honor system, which arrives in Phase 2.
*The mounts are BoE (Bind-on-Equip), so if you have a friend with Rank 3 in PvP, the mount can be purchased with the 10% discount and traded back to you.
At Level 60, you will only pay 800 for riding and the mount, if you make use of the 20% discount.
Every mount has a minimum skill level required for Riding. You will need Apprentice Riding skill to use mounts at Level 40 and Journeyman Riding to use mounts at Level 60.
- Apprentice Riding costs 20 (before discounts) at Level 40 and increases your speed by 60%.
- Journeyman Riding costs 100 (before discounts) at Level 60 and increases your speed by 100%.
Each race comes with their own riding skill, and you can only learn how to ride a mount in your faction's capital city from someone of the same race. Unless, that is, you reach Exalted reputation standing with the other race (e.g. Orcs can learn to ride Tauren Kodos if they reached Exalted status with Thunder Bluff).
The following race-specific riding skills can be learned at level 40 upon reaching Exalted with the respective faction.
|Race||Riding Skill||Riding Trainer||Coordinates|
|Dwarves||Ram Riding||Ultham Ironhorn||64, 50 (Dun Morogh)|
|Gnomes||Mechanostrider Piloting||Binjy Featherwhistle||49, 48 (Dun Morogh)|
|Humans||Horse Riding||Randal Hunter||84, 65 (Elwynn Forest)|
|Night Elves||Tiger Riding||Jartsam||38, 16 (Darnassus)|
|Orcs||Wolf Riding||Kildar||69, 13 (Orgrimmar)|
|Tauren||Kodo Riding||Kar Stormsinger||47, 58 (Mulgore)|
|Trolls||Raptor Riding||Xar'Ti||55, 75 (Durotar)|
|Undead||Undead Horsemanship||Velma Warnam||60, 53 (Tirisfal Glades)|
The first tier of mounts is available at Level 40 and they increase your speed by 60%. You will gain access to the second tier at character Level 60 for a 100% increase in speed.
- Rare mounts at Level 40 cost 80 each before discounts.
- Epic mounts at Level 60 cost 900 each before discounts.
Once you learn how to ride a mount, you can purchase multiple mounts, but there is seldom a good reason to buy another mount until you reach Level 60.
Epic mounts travel faster than normal mounts and look better as well.
When you own a mount, you must equip it to bind the mount to you, then place the icon on one of your action bar for easy access.
Mounting takes three seconds, so it is generally useful for trips that take more than six or so seconds. In other words, do not mount to move 50 yards and attack another creature.
Mount vendors can be found close to riding trainers. Here is a table with all relevant mount vendors and their locations.
|Race||Mount Type||Riding Trainer||Coordinates|
|Dwarves||Rams||Veron Amberstill||63, 50 (Dun Morogh)|
|Gnomes||Mechanostriders||Milli Featherwhistle||49, 48 (Dun Morogh)|
|Humans||Horses||Katie Hunter||84, 65 (Elwynn Forest)|
|Night Elves||Tigers||Lelanai||38, 15 (Darnassus)|
|Orcs||Wolves||Ogunaro Wolfrunner||70, 12 (Orgrimmar)|
|Tauren||Kodos||Harb Clawhoof||47, 58 (Mulgore)|
|Trolls||Raptors||Zjolnir||55, 75 (Durotar)|
|Undead||Skeletal Horses||Zachariah Post||60, 52 (Tirisfal Glades)|
Increasing Mount Speed
The mount speed can be further enhanced through the following items (their effects stack):
- Mithril Spurs from Blacksmithing;
- Enchant Gloves - Riding Skill from Enchanting;
- Carrot on a Stick obtained from the Gahz'rilla quest in Zul'Farrak.
Your character can get dismounted by:
- Going indoors, as you cannot stay mounted in indoor locations;
- Walking through water dismounts everyone too, so jump as far as you can when entering water;
- Certain types of crowd controls force a dismount (e.g. Polymorph).
Free Mounts for Paladins and Warlocks
Paladins and Warlocks get their mounts at no cost at Level 40 through quests. These mounts have a specific appearance and are fully functional in every way.
Earning Gold for Your Mount
One of the significant issues in WoW Classic is getting enough Gold to buy yourself a mount. In addition to the 20% discount outlined above, this requires Professions and goldmaking expertise. We recommend checking out our general goldmaking guide, which contains a Tier List of the most profitable Professions in WoW Classic.
We also have Goldmaking guides for each class individually, which contain tips that are exclusive to that class.
- 27 Sep. 2019: Guide added.
- Blizzard Working on an Unannounced Open-World RPG Shooter
- Season of Mastery Beta Update: October 13th
- The Return of Large Groups in Battlegrounds
- WoW Classic Season of Mastery Design Intentions and Details
- Global Battle.net Maintenance: October 6th
- WoW Classic Season of Mastery Beta Notes: October 5th
- Burning Crusade and WoW Classic Hotfixes: October 4th
- Brewfest Extended an Extra Day in Burning Crusade Classic
- Melee Hunter Guide - Hunter Melee Physical DPS
- Shaman Tank Guide - Shaman Tanking in WoW
- New player interested in TBC - Boost or level?
- Hunter Macros for TBC Cassic?
- Which class are you going to play in Classic and why?
- When will we see a pre-patch tbc page?
- Icecold (A) - Ashbringer EU
- Inner Circle Recruiting For TBC