Season of Discovery Frost Mage DPS Guide
Welcome to our Frost Mage guide for WoW Classic - Season of Discovery, tailored for PvE content. Here, you will learn how to play the Mage class as a Frost Mage. Click the links below to navigate the guide or read this page for a short introduction.
Frost Mages have traditionally been the DPS spec of choice for leveling, PvP and in early raids due to Fire immunities, falling off in later tiers once Fire Mages can finally deal damage.
New capabilities are also being introduced in SoD, such as Regeneration and out of combat resurrection through Scroll of Reintegration .
- Excellent Mana efficiency
- Best PvP, leveling, and soloing specialization for Mage
- Best slows and crowd control abilities of all Mage specs
- Needs more Hit rating than Arcane spec
- PvE single-target damage is dependent on Fingers of Frost procs
- Lowest overall damage among Mage specializations, and lowest scaling potential
Season of Discovery
They also gained a lot of single target damage from the new Frostfire Bolt, which has special synergy with other Frost runes and talents such as Fingers of Frost, Brain Freeze, and Shatter!
Unfortunately this synergy is not quite enough for Frost to overtake Fire as the highest damage Mage specialization but it is a novel option with a very simple rotation that can occasionally feed into itself with back-to-back procs and do a lot of unexpected damage.
Through the addition of entirely new abilities and runes, the rotation, gearing options, and talent decisions for Frost Mage has changed drastically with the coming of Season of Discovery. Browse the guides in the Table of Content at the top of this page to find all the information you'll need to master this new game mode!
Frost Mages will still want to take Engineering, but with more of an emphasis on Tailoring rather than Mining. Tailoring is especially powerful in Season of Discovery due to special bind on pickup crafts such as Extraplanar Spidersilk Boots and Gneuro-Linked Arcano-Filament Monocle , of which we expect there will be more of in the future!
The main feature of Season of Discovery is the new Rune Discovery system, which allows you to discover and attach special abilities to your gear slots after finding them across the world. We list all of Mage's runes and where they can be located in the guide below:
- 15 Feb. 2024: Updated introduction for Phase 2.
- 15 Dec. 2023: Removed mention of portals as they are beyond level 25.
- 09 Dec. 2023: Typo fix with Regeneration icon.
- Blizzard on AoE Threat in SoD Phase 2
- Season of Discovery and Classic Era Hotfixes: February 16th
- Additional Tuning Coming to Priests in Season of Discovery
- Gnomeregan SoD DPS and Healer Rankings: Week 1
- SoD Subjugate Demon Nerf Due to 5-Minute Control of Metamorphosis Warlocks
- Upcoming Season of Discovery Phase 2 Class Tuning: February 20th
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: February 14th
- Shadowfang Keep Teleport Available in Wrath Classic