Mage DPS Season of Mastery Phase 5 Gear
Gearing Strategy for Mages in Season of Mastery Phase 5
While a clear best in slot (BiS) list is always available in WoW Classic Season of Mastery (SoM), the items contained might be extremely hard or expensive to get. Thus, we will try to give at least one alternative, for most slots in the list, so that you can pick where and how to farm them.
Mage AoE Grinding / Farming Best in Slot (BiS) List
If gold farming is your passion, or simply because you feel that is the most fun thing to do in WoW Classic SoM, this list has you covered! No need to do raids or cherry pick dungeon gear, there are plenty of easy to get options with high Intellect and Stamina (as well as "of the Eagle" gear) to get you ready almost as soon as you hit Level 60!
Mage Pre-Raid Best in Slot (BiS) List
In order to get ready for raiding, it is recommended that you follow this guide in order to learn which gear to gather for maximizing DPS before ever setting foot in raids, and probably also before getting your first epic loot. Even so, expect to get a few pieces that you will have a hard time replacing, such as Briarwood Reed and Tome of the Ice Lord or any high rank PvP gear.
Look out also for the Tailoring Bloodvine Set, which you can buy and is extremely powerful when compared to most other pre-raid BiS pieces!
Mage Raid Best in Slot (BiS) List for Phase 5 (Ahn'Qiraj)
This is the gear we recommend for Mages in the AQ40 patch. The bosses you fight in this raid are vulnerable to Fire, which becomes the recommended specialization, and the one we will optimize the gear suggestions for. This implies the removal of Frost-specific options, such as Boreal Mantle.
Mages' Tier 2.5, Enigma Vestments, is a generally weak set, and you will be using individual pieces for their stats, rather than aiming for specific set bonuses.
- The 3-set bonus makes your Blizzard spell occasionally grant you a buff that causes it to not be affected by spell pushback for 8 seconds. You should never be using Blizzard when you are in risk of being hit, making this bonus useless.
- The 5-set bonus gives you a 5% spell hit bonus for 20 seconds whenever one of your spells is resisted. This is a nice damage bonus when it procs, but is not generally used because the stats on the pieces themselves are not ideal compared to off-set options.
The only tier bonus worth using, overall, is the 2 piece blue PvP gear bonus, which increases your spell power, and allows the shoulder + boot combo to be slightly better than the alternative. We will list both options, regardless.
Other Useful Phase 5 Gear for Mages
Nature Resistance Gear for Mages
As a Mage, you should not be required to use Nature Resistance gear on Princess Huhuran, but can still benefit from it while trying to freeze Viscidus. Read this guide to figure out where to find such gear, and which pieces to wear!
Mage PvP Best in Slot Gear
You can find our recommended gear for PvPing as a Mage in the link below.
For more information about Mage weapons, please refer to our dedicated guide.
Special Gear for Mages
Finally, some items have niche uses and do not belong in a best in slot list, but are still very valuable to acquire for specific encounters, or as a weapon swap mid-fight. We will list the most notable special items below, as well as their effects and common applications.
- Gnomish Battle Chicken summons a chicken that attacks your enemies for 1.5 minutes, with a cooldown of 30 minutes. The chicken scales with your Engineering skill (Level 60 at 300 skill), and buffs your group with 5% increased Attack Speed through Battle Squawk. This is what makes it well worth using while grouped.
- Arcanite Dragonling summons a dragon that attacks your enemies for up to 1 minute, with a cooldown of one hour. The dragon scales with your Engineering skill (Level 60 at 300 skill) and causes a stacking debuff that increases Fire damage taken, which makes it worth using in later raids to boost Fire Mage damage.
- Skull of Impending Doom is given as a quest reward from completing Forbidden Knowledge in the Badlands. While generally undesirable, if you need to run somewhere fast, it can be a useful item to have.
- Furbolg Medicine Pouch is sold by Gorn One Eye when you reach Honored status with Timbermaw Hold. This is a great item that you can swap during combat to provide you with a significant 1000 heal over 10 seconds. For comparison's sake, Heavy Runecloth Bandage heals you for 2000 over 8 seconds, but requires you to channel it, and you cannot take any sort of damage in the channel duration.
- Tidal Charm allows you to instantly stun an enemy for 3 seconds. It has a 50% drop chance from Prince Nazjak, who spawns around 25,84 in Arathi Highlands. Due to his very high respawn timer it might be hard to get this trinket, but the stun it provides is a life saver and duel winner.
- Linken's Boomerang allows you to potentially disarm or stun an enemy when used, which makes it useful in certain scenarios, especially in PvP. Its rewarded from the Un'Goro Crater quest It's Dangerous to Go Alone.
- Luffa removes a bleed effect, such as Garrote, from yourself when used. You get this item from the Searing Gorge quest Incendosaurs? Whateverosaur is More Like It.
- The Alliance-only Crystal of Zin-Malor allows you to kill yourself easily, and you do not get durability loss if you die from its effect. This can occasionally be useful, such as when you regret getting on a fly path after you are already flying or if you need to talk with the Blackrock Depths key ghost NPC. You get it from starting the quest Tormented By the Past.
Other Best in Slot Lists
As this list is meant to be used for Mages in WoW Classic's Season of Mastery, we have created separate gear lists for those interested in optimizing themselves for the "main" branch of Classic instead. If you are not playing in the Season of Mastery, it is recommended that you consult this gear hub instead. In case you still need them, we have also included links to other phases of our Season of Mastery gear lists.
- 30 Apr. 2022: Page added for Season of Mastery Phase 5.
- Blizzard on AoE Threat in SoD Phase 2
- Season of Discovery and Classic Era Hotfixes: February 16th
- Additional Tuning Coming to Priests in Season of Discovery
- Gnomeregan SoD DPS and Healer Rankings: Week 1
- SoD Subjugate Demon Nerf Due to 5-Minute Control of Metamorphosis Warlocks
- Upcoming Season of Discovery Phase 2 Class Tuning: February 20th
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: February 14th
- Shadowfang Keep Teleport Available in Wrath Classic