L0rinda

Live Stream Round-Up: Knights of the Frozen Throne

Sign in to follow this  

17 posts in this topic

2JYSqSm.png

Tonight's Live Stream was presented by Ben Brode and Brian Kibler. All of the cards have now been revealed

Four games were played on stream between Kibler and Puffin. They were Warrior vs Shaman, Warlock vs Paladin, Priest vs Druid, and Hunter vs Rogue

The main big card to be revealed was The Lich King.

dragndrop.jpg

(Image: Hearthpwn)

The Death Knight cards are not to be confused with the Death Knight Heroes that have previously been revealed. Those cards are technically called Hero Cards. The new Death Knight cards play out much like Ysera cards. There are eight of them, spread over several Mana costs. For example, Death Grip is a 2 Mana card that steals a minion from your opponent's deck and puts it into your hand, while Frostmourne is a 7 Mana Weapon with 5/3 stats, that summons every minion killed by it as a Deathrattle.

The only other card that generates Death Knight cards is the amusingly named Arfus.

dragndrop.jpg

(Image: Hearthpwn)

The final two Death Kni... Hero Cards were also revealed.

dragndrop.jpgdragndrop.jpg

(Images: Hearthpwn)

Garrosh's Battlecry seems to be very powerful, although 8 Mana weapons are at a big risk to Gluttonous Ooze and other weapon removal. How good Bladestorm, the Hero Power is, remains to be seen.

dragndrop.jpgdragndrop.jpg

(Images: Hearthpwn)

Guldan's Hero Card seems to be a great closer for Control Warlock decks. The Battlecry should be enough to protect you from dying for a turn, and the Hero Power should be able to close out the game from there.

We will be working around the clock to have as many decks for you ready to go on opening day as possible. Keep an eye on the archetypes section for updates.

The full set can be seen here.

For a full list of previously revealed cards, as well as all of the information about the new expansion, check out our Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion hub.

...don't think that's enough to bring Gul'Dan back from the dead.   

When you look at the available pool of demons in standard, an awful lot of them are based around discard...and the DK card is a fat 10 mana sitting in your hand for a while.   So the anti-synergy is real, and you have to toss out all the discard demons as taboo if this is your win condition. 

That leaves you with some questionable remains.   You also would probably want to leave out flame imp, fel guard, apothecary, pit lord, void terror and other obviously bad/non synergistic cards.     I don't think there's enough good cards left in the demon pool to make this worthwhile.     Wild he'll probly be fine though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Taan said:

Ehhhhhh...welcome back in the meta, Gul'dan!

As long as it's not discard XD

That is such a garbage archetype 

27 minutes ago, Migol said:

That leaves you with some questionable remains.   You also would probably want to leave out flame imp, fel guard, apothecary, pit lord, void terror and other obviously bad/non synergistic cards.     I don't think there's enough good cards left in the demon pool to make this worthwhile. 

I know what you mean. But I think the amount of Demons you have to play to make DK-Gul'dan worthwhile is not that high. Getting one or two 6/6 Infernals (Dread Infernal and/or Abyssal Enforcer) and maybe your Voidwalker out - and this is clearly possible, since you will play your 10-mana-DK-card pretty late - seems powerful enough considering the powerlevel of its new heropower.

...oh and don't forget the new Dreadlord is also a Demon...and when you get both, you get a pretty decent boardwipe on top.

Edited by Taan

Now, with all cards out several things are major disappointment for me

• The Lich King looks like an auto-include in any deck that plays 8 drops (I really hope I am wrong). Wasn't their reason to hall of fame Rag to avoid this kind of situation with same neutral legendary being played everywhere?
  • 2 weak elementals in the set... I guess elemental decks need to wait at least one more expansion
  • Arena impact looks awful. At least before you could try to facerush rogues\mages. Now leaving stuff on their board is a suicide. Also, mages got a 3 mana 3\4 common class card and common decent removal spell, rogues got common light version of Vilespine Slayer. 
  • Rogues(my favorite) got nothing that looks interesting in my eyes. I was like "hey, they nerfed quest rogue, there are no doubts that we'll have a decent rogue 1 or 2 drop with an interesting effect!" but nope. Also I was like "This is a deathrattle themed expansion, maybe with new deathrattle synergy and rogue\neutral deathrattle  minions some kind of deathrattle deck may be possible" but neutral deathrattles of the set are awful (except Arfus). The only rogue one isn't good either. Blizzard managed to make Journey Below worse.  I do see a possibility of an aggro-pirate-weapon rogue but this is not something that excites me
  • Stonehill Defender  Blizzard actually buffed my most hated card. Sure, Paladin and Shaman got slightly lower chance to get their best taunts, but their new class taunts are still better than an average neutral taunt. Also, the only two new neutral taunts of the set are 4 mana 4\6 in stats and The Lich King . Priests now have a good reason to play the defender for their 9 mana lifestealing taunt.
  • Like 2

The Lich King looks like an auto-include in any deck that plays 8 drops (I really hope I am wrong). Wasn't their reason to hall of fame Rag to avoid this kind of situation with same neutral legendary being played everywhere?

I must confess, I quite like this set, but the same thing crossed my mind regarding this card.

I know next to nothing about Hearthstone but I'm glad Blizzard remembered Shadowmourne exists even if it isn't mentioned anywhere in WoW after Wrath.

• Like 1

I am excited to try out Lich King and Arfus, but I won't be crafting them, so I hope I open them in the 53 packs I currently have.

12 hours ago, Durf24 said:

I know next to nothing about Hearthstone but I'm glad Blizzard remembered Shadowmourne exists even if it isn't mentioned anywhere in WoW after Wrath.

Shadowmourne is mentioned in the DK artifact questline in Legion.

13 hours ago, L0rinda said:

The Lich King looks like an auto-include in any deck that plays 8 drops (I really hope I am wrong). Wasn't their reason to hall of fame Rag to avoid this kind of situation with same neutral legendary being played everywhere?

I must confess, I quite like this set, but the same thing crossed my mind regarding this card.

So does Medivh, the Guardian. Medivh gives more value, even if he is killed, while you don't need expensive spells to make The Lich King worthwhile...but I think they are comparable and Medivh, the Guardian didn't made it in every deck.

Also the main difference between The Lich King and Ragnaros the Firelord is, that The Lich King will cycle out of standart in one and a half year.

Blizzard had to make such an iconic character like Arthas a non-class-card and powerful enough to see at least some play. In my opinion his design seems pretty nice and he is definitly not obviously overpowered as a certain Goblin with a Ph.D. (cough cough).

Edited by Taan

2 hours ago, Taan said:

So does Medivh, the Guardian. Medivh gives more value, even if he is killed, while you don't need expensive spells to make The Lich King worthwhile...but I think they are comparable and Medivh, the Guardian didn't made it in every deck.

Also the main difference between The Lich King and Ragnaros the Firelord is, that The Lich King will cycle out of standart in one and a half year.

Blizzard had to make such an iconic character like Arthas a non-class-card and powerful enough to see at least some play. In my opinion his design seems pretty nice and he is definitly not obviously overpowered as a certain Goblin with a Ph.D. (cough cough).

Medivh, the Guardian   is a different case. You really need a deck compatible with him. Currently he fits only in burn mages and some priests (only because Free From Amber exists) other decks don't play him either because they have no good high cost spells or because they can't allow themselves to play 8 drop that has no immediate effect.

Tell me why I shouldn't put The Lich King in control warrior, in taunt warrior, in control paladin (IMO, he may even push Ragnaros, Lightlord away) in jade ruid, in ramp druid, in control priest, in handlock(if it somehow becomes a thing)  

Blizzard had to make an interesting Arthas, but it should be a card that allows creation of new deck archetypes not something that goes in any non-aggro deck archetype. I am very dissapointed by The Lich King design. I really hope that I overestimate his strength

BTW, if  The Black Knight won't see play in the upcoming meta, I don't know where will he will

7 minutes ago, Strongpoint said:

Medivh, the Guardian   is a different case. You really need a deck compatible with him. Currently he fits only in burn mages and some priests (only because Free From Amber exists) other decks don't play him either because they have no good high cost spells or because they can't allow themselves to play 8 drop that has no immediate effect.

Tell me why I shouldn't put The Lich King in control warrior, in taunt warrior, in control paladin (IMO, he may even push Ragnaros, Lightlord away) in jade ruid, in ramp druid, in control priest, in handlock(if it somehow becomes a thing)  

Blizzard had to make an interesting Arthas, but it should be a card that allows creation of new deck archetypes not something that goes in any non-aggro deck archetype. I am very dissapointed by The Lich King design. I really hope that I overestimate his strength

BTW, if  The Black Knight won't see play in the upcoming meta, I don't know where will he will

Arthas is a very solid card, but not that strong.

He's an Ironbark Protector that gives you one extra card to play with. But by the time he hits the field he is too slow against aggro, and both midrange and control decks run "big beatstick" removal making his survival less than guaranteed. He's like Ysera, a "they stick, they win" card. They're good but not OP. (We'll get a few Trolden vids getting him out thanks to The Coin into double Innervate turn 3 and solo'ing the game, but that's marginal, just like a 12/12 Edwin VanCleef turn 2.)

52 minutes ago, Strongpoint said:

because they can't allow themselves to play 8 drop that has no immediate effect.

Just to clarify: The Lich King has no immediate effect, too. You get the spell at the end of your turn, which means, that you can only cast it in your next turn.

But yeah, I see that Medivh, the Guardian might be a flawed comparison. Ysera fits better.

I wouldn't praise Arthas this early...because of the randomness of his ability (and the downside of some of the DK-spells) he might see no play at all or only as a niche-card. For example: getting "Anti-Magic Shell" with an empty board, "Obliterate" against an aggro-deck or "Doom Pact" or "Army of the Dead" while your deck is nearly empty.

But he could become an important part of the Meta, too...who knows? In the worst case we see him in a lot of control-decks until he cycles out.

Edited by Taan

On 8/8/2017 at 6:34 AM, Yridaa said:

Shadowmourne is mentioned in the DK artifact questline in Legion.

Really? I never saw it once, which questline was it?