Dire Maul Quests Guide
This guide lists all the quests you can do in the Dire Maul dungeon: Alliance quests, Horde quests, class quests, profession quests, quests you need to get before entering the dungeons, and quests you get inside the dungeons. The idea is to help you do all the quests in as few runs of the dungeon as possible.
For more information about the dungeon, please refer to our detailed Dire Maul hub, which contains guides for each wing.
Dire Maul has a huge number of quests that are spread throughout the 3 wings of the dungeon, with many being available to both factions. There are also a number of dungeon-specific quests, which include the Arcanum Enchant quests, which award items such as Arcanum of Focus, and the class book quests, which award class-specific versions of a trinket.
Below, you will find a list of the basic quests that can be completed in the wings of Dire Maul, as well as their level requirement and faction specification.
- North Wing Quests
- East Wing Quests
- West Wing Quests
- Arcanum Enchant Quests
- A/ H  Libram of Focus
- A/ H  Libram of Protection
- A/ H  Libram of Rapidity
- Class Book Quests
- A/ H  Codex of Defense (Warrior-only)
- H  Frost Shock and You (Shaman-only)
- A/ H  Garona: A Study on Stealth and Treachery (Rogue-only)
- A/ H  Harnessing Shadows (Warlock-only)
- A/ H  Holy Bologna: What the Light Won't Tell You (Priest-only)
- A/ H  The Arcanist's Cookbook (Mage-only)
- A/ H  The Emerald Dream... (Druid-only)
- A/ H  The Greatest Race of Hunters (Hunter-only)
- A  The Light and How To Swing It (Paladin-only)
To complete all of the quests in this dungeon, Alliance and Horde players will both need to be at least Level 56, or Level 60 if they are completing a class quest.
The Quel'Serrar questline is available with the release of Dire Maul and, while it mainly takes place in Onyxia's Lair, players will have to venture into Dire Maul to obtain the sword.
Dire Maul North Wing Quests
There are 3 quests for players to complete in the North Wing, all of which are available to both Alliance and Horde players. All of them are started inside the dungeon.
Neutral Quests in the West Wing
- Free Knot! (requires Level 56) — use the Gordok Shackle Key to free Knot Thimblejack. You will start this quest inside the dungeon, as well as hand it in to Knot inside, but it is important to note that you can not create an Ogre costume after completing this unless a Leatherworker has the pattern.
- The Gordok Ogre Suit (requires Level 56) — bring 4 Bolt of Runecloth, 8 Rugged Leather, 2 Rune Thread, and Ogre Tannin to Knot Thimblejack. The reward from this quest is used in the Dire Maul Tribute runs to complete a run with no captain kills.
- Unfinished Gordok Business (requires Level 56) — this quest requires you to retrieve the Gauntlet of Gordok Might. In order to do so, you will need to complete the tribute in the North wing and pick up the quest from Captain Kromcrush, as well as obtain the buff from clearing the tribute: King of the Gordok. Once you have the buff, go and kill Prince Tortheldrin in the West wing. The gauntlet is in a chest behind him.
Dire Maul East Wing Quests
There are a total of 4 quests for players in the East Wing, with 1 Mage-only quest.
Neutral Quests in the East Wing
There are 2 neutral quests in the East wing, which are as follows. They are both started outside the instance.
- Lethtendris's Web / Lethtendris's Web (requires Level 54) — kill Lethtendris and retrieve Lethtendris's Web. You can pick up this quest from Latronicus Moonspear in Feralas, for the Alliance, and Talo Thornhoof in Feralas, for the Horde, at their respective faction hubs.
- Pusillin and the Elder Azj'Tordin (requires Level 54) — head to Dire Maul and convince Pusillin to give you a book, Book of Incantations. This quest is picked up in Feralas, at the Lariss Pavilion, from Azj'Tordin.
- Shards of the Felvine (requires Level 56) — kill Alzzin the Wildshaper and use the Reliquary of Purity to seal a Felvine Shard.
Pusillin and the Elder Azj'Tordin
Pusillin will run away from you until you eventually follow him deeper into the instance. You will need to kill him, as well as the smaller imps that he summons. Be very careful if you are doing this quest as an AoE-heavy class, as you will likely pull aggro on the smaller imps.
Shards of the Felvine
Class Quests in the East Wing
There is only 1 class quest in the East Wing, Arcane Refreshment for Mages. This quest will allow them to learn their top rank of Conjure Water.
Dire Maul West Wing Quests
There are 2 neutral quests in the West wing, as well as 2 class quests, 1 for Warlocks and 1 for Paladins.
Neutral Quests in the West Wing
- The Madness Within (requires Level 56) — this quest requires you to kill 2 bosses in the West wing, Immol'thar and Prince Tortheldrin. You can pick this quest up inside the dungeon by speaking to the Shen'dralar Ancient.
- The Treasure of the Shen'dralar (requires Level 56) — this quest is picked up after you return to Shen'dralar Ancient and hand in The Madness Within. The Ancient will tell you to head back to the Athenaeum and loot the treasure found there.
Class Quests in the West Wing
Both of the class quests in this wing are from the epic mount questlines for Warlock and Paladin.
Mor'zul Bloodbringer will start this quest for players in the Burning Steppes, as long as they have the completed the rest of the chain up until this point. To start the epic mount questline, you will need to reach Level 60, and pick up the quest Mor'zul Bloodbringer from your Demon Trainer.
To summon a Xorothian Dreadsteed for this part of the questline, you will need to buy J'eevee's Jar, Xorothian Glyphs, and Black Lodestone from Gorzeeki Wildeyes for a total of 250 gold. These 3 items will be used to summon the dreadsteed.
Find a party and head to Dire Maul West, assuming you have the key already or a Rogue in the group, and clear the dungeon until after Immol'thar is dead. Your Warlock will then need to use these 3 items in the ring where Immol'thar died to start the summoning ritual.
When the ritual starts, J'eevee will place 3 items on the ground: a bell, a wheel, and a candle. These items will help to protect your party while you fight the waves of demons, but they will need to be restored every time they are destroyed with the Black Lodestone. This will cost Soul Shards, so make sure you have plenty in your bags.
Once the waves of demons stop, Xorothian Dreadsteed will join the fight. You will need to get it down to 50%, which will cause Lord Hel'nurath to spawn. Kill him before finishing off the dreadsteed to complete the quest and turn it in to the Dreadsteed Spirit.
Ancient Equine Spirit is part of the epic mount quest for Paladins, and requires you to get the barding blessed in the West Wing.
You will need to get the Manna-Enriched Horse Feed from Merideth Carlson and take it to the West wing, along with Arcanite Barding. After killing Tendris Warpwood, this will free the Ancient Equine Spirit. Give it the horse feed to soothe the spirit, then ask for its blessing.
Arcanum Enchant Quests
There are 3 Arcanum Enchant quests, all of which require you to bring materials to Lorekeeper Lydros in exchange for enchant items. You cannot complete any of these enchant quests if you have not already completed Elven Legends/Elven Legends, which you can pick up inside the instance. You will need to interact with a pile of bones in the library and then return the quest to your faction's hub in Feralas.
Once this is done, you can hand in the enchant quests to Lydros in the library. The required materials and their rewards are as follows.
- Libram of Focus — requires Libram of Focus, Pristine Black Diamond, 4 Large Brilliant Shard, and 2 Skin of Shadow. This rewards Arcanum of Focus.
- Libram of Protection — requires Libram of Protection, 2 Pristine Black Diamond, 2 Large Brilliant Shard, and a Frayed Abomination Stitching. This rewards Arcanum of Protection.
- Libram of Rapidity — requires Libram of Rapidity, Pristine Black Diamond, 2 Large Brilliant Shard, 2 Blood of Heroes. This rewards Arcanum of Rapidity.
Class Book Quests
The class book quests are all started inside the instance by interacting with A Dusty Tome or by looting one of the books as a drop from any boss in the instance.
Obtaining these books is essentially just luck and there is no guarantee that you will find it quickly. Simply farm the instance and, when you see a tome, interact with it.
If you do not want to wait, you can also buy the book on the Auction House, but prices may vary depending on the server.
- Druid — The Emerald Dream... from The Emerald Dream
- Hunter — The Greatest Race of Hunters from The Greatest Race of Hunters
- Mage — The Arcanist's Cookbook from The Arcanist's Cookbook
- Paladin — The Light and How To Swing It from The Light and How to Swing It
- Priest — Holy Bologna: What the Light Won't Tell You from Holy Bologna: What the Light Won't Tell You
- Rogue — Garona: A Study on Stealth and Treachery from Garona: A Study on Stealth and Treachery
- Shaman — Frost Shock and You from Frost Shock and You
- Warlock — Harnessing Shadows from Harnessing Shadows
- Warrior — Codex of Defense from Codex of Defense
The quests each reward a variant of the same trinket. You can find the list of trinkets below.
- Druid — Royal Seal of Eldre'Thalas
- Hunter — Royal Seal of Eldre'Thalas
- Mage — Royal Seal of Eldre'Thalas
- Paladin — Royal Seal of Eldre'Thalas
- Priest — Royal Seal of Eldre'Thalas
- Rogue — Royal Seal of Eldre'Thalas
- Shaman — Royal Seal of Eldre'Thalas
- Warlock — Royal Seal of Eldre'Thalas
- Warrior — Royal Seal of Eldre'Thalas
Quest Rewards from Dire Maul
North Wing Quest Rewards
|Gordok Ogre Suit||The Gordok Ogre Suit||Consumable (Tribute)|
|Gordok's Gauntlets||Unfinished Gordok Business||Gloves|
|Gordok's Gloves||Unfinished Gordok Business||Gloves|
|Gordok's Handguards||Unfinished Gordok Business||Gloves|
|Gordok's Handwraps||Unfinished Gordok Business||Gloves|
East Wing Quest Rewards
|Lorespinner||Lethtendris's Web/Lethtendris's Web||Weapon|
|Milli's Lexicon||Shards of the Felvine (Alliance-only)||Off-hand|
|Milli's Shield||Shards of the Felvine (Alliance-only)||Off-hand|
West Wing Quest Rewards
|Backwood Helm||The Treasure of the Shen'dralar||Helm|
|Bonecrusher||The Treasure of the Shen'dralar||Weapon|
|Sedge Boots||The Treasure of the Shen'dralar||Boots|
- 27 Oct. 2019: Fixed Shards of the Felvine faction listing.
- 15 Oct. 2019: Page added.
- Display Bug Showing Last Week's Honor
- Diablo 2 Remaster Unlikely - Code and Assets Were Lost According to Creators
- Diablo 2 Cinematics Upscaled to 4K and 8K
- Jokerd Removed from Method Org After Ninja Looting
- World Bosses and PvP Honor System Available
- Keyring Coming in Patch After Phase 2, Clarification on Phases
- WoW Classic Hotfixes: November 12th
- World's Fastest Molten Core Clear in Phase 1 by Salad Bakers
- Classic honor system
- Pet Aggro vs Hunter Aggro
- Classic: Lock Spell Damage question
- New Expansion
- [A] Treachery | Sulfuras | NA PvE / PvP | Tues/Wed 10 PM - 1 AM | One Night Raiding
- Classic WoW "Realm Layering"
- [A][US][Bloodsail Buccaneers]Acies | WoW Classic | T/Th | 8:30 PM-11:30 PM ET |LFM
- Classic expectations