Season of Discovery Hunter Melee DPS Guide
Welcome to our Melee DPS Survival Hunter guide for WoW Classic - Season of Discovery, tailored for PvE content. Here, you will learn how to play the Hunter class as a Melee DPS Survival Hunter. Click the links below to navigate the guide or read this page for a short introduction.
Hunters are normally master marksmen and, with the help of a fierce animal companion, can deal damage from range without ever letting their target get close. With special tracking abilities, traps, and a wide range of utility spells, Hunters are a great choice for anyone looking for a strong solo class with lots of ranged damage and versatility.
In the Season of Discovery, Hunters have the option to take Runes that increase the viability of a melee-only play style. This is a forewarning: this build is NOT meta. Hunters still have virtually no talents that increase their melee abilities. Even with the new Runes, their melee damage will pale in comparison to Rogues and Warriors, especially at level 60. However, this is now a viable option if you are looking for a new way to play a Hunter.
- Powerful group buff from new runes
- Strong soloing capabilities
- Solid damage scaling with no gear and at low levels
- The most resource efficient class in the game
- Great group utility for CC and kiting
- Poor damage all-around while melee
- Terrible scaling, the comparative damage gap will widen with levels
- Limited AoE and cleave options
Season of Discovery
Hunter has received no major changes for Season of Discovery, but instead have access to incredibly powerful new abilities and buffs in the form of Runes. These Runes are what enable the melee play style, specifically with some powerful new melee abilities and a huge buff to your current options.
Through the addition of entirely new abilities and Runes, the rotation, gearing options, and talent decisions for Melee Hunter has changed drastically with the coming of Season of Discovery. Use the guides located in the Table of Content at the top of this page to find all the information you'll need to master this new game mode!
One of the most important choices that you can make as a Hunter is your pet. Luckily, for optimal damage, that choice is relatively simple. While the best pet has changed frequently over the last couple of weeks due to constant tuning, the best pet for Hunters in Season of Discovery is currently a Cat. To be fully prepared, you should also consider getting a Wind Serpent in case pet spell power scaling is ever buffed again.
Make sure to check out our Rune Engravings guide to best understand what each rune does for your Hunter. Likewise, if you're unsure where to locate these runes, we've listed the location for every Season of Discovery Rune in the guide below to help you find the best available runes for your class!
- 16 Dec. 2023: Guide updated.
- Blizzard on AoE Threat in SoD Phase 2
- Season of Discovery and Classic Era Hotfixes: February 16th
- Additional Tuning Coming to Priests in Season of Discovery
- Gnomeregan SoD DPS and Healer Rankings: Week 1
- SoD Subjugate Demon Nerf Due to 5-Minute Control of Metamorphosis Warlocks
- Upcoming Season of Discovery Phase 2 Class Tuning: February 20th
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: February 14th
- Shadowfang Keep Teleport Available in Wrath Classic