Thunderfury Legendary Weapon Questline Guide
Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker is the ultimate tank weapon in WoW Classic, and is the weapon of Prince Thunderaan, who is the son of Al'Akir the Windlord. In order to obtain it, you must free the Prince from Garr and Baron Geddon's bindings, who was imprisoned by Ragnaros, the Firelord in the early times of Azeroth.
Now that Blackwing Lair is available, players can finally obtain the Elementium Bars required to obtain Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker after having both halves of the Bindings of the Windseeker (Left). Read the rest of the guide to find out how!
Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker is obtained by completing a short questline which can only be started once you loot both halves of the Bindings of the Windseeker (Left), which rarely (sub 5% chance) drop off Garr (right binding) and Baron Geddon (left binding) in Molten Core.
Once you have one of the items, you can talk with Highlord Demetrian, who resides in Silithus (around 30, 10), and begin the quest line, which will require you to go to Blackwing Lair in order to release Prince Thunderaan himself near Demetrian. You will need a raid group to defeat Prince, with the reward being Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker!
Thunderfury - Who needs it?
Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker is the best tanking (and in AoE, also DPS) weapon in WoW Classic. This makes it a main tank Warrior weapon first and foremost, but it can also be used by Rogues, Paladins and Hunters, although it is sub-optimal.
Thunderfury Quest List
The list of quests is as follows:
Examine the Vessel
This quest is only offered once you go through Highlord Demetrian's dialogue after looting at least one of the Bindings of the Windseeker (Left). It immediately leads into the next step.
Thunderaan the Windseeker
This is the hardest, and most expensive step of the questline. You need to gather:
- 10 Elementium Bar*, which require a total of 10 Elementium Ore (gathered from goblins around and after Firemaw's patrol location), 100 Arcanite Bar from Alchemy, 10 Fiery Core from Molten Core and 30 Elemental Flux, purchased from Blacksmithing vendors;
- Essence of the Firelord, which is a guaranteed drop from Ragnaros;
- Both halves of the Bindings of the Windseeker (Left).
*Miners with maxed out skill can learn how to smelt Elementium in Blackwing Lair. Have a Priest in your group Mind Control Master Elemental Shaper Krixix, who can be found around the area Firemaw patrols in, and use his special ability on the Mining player, who will instantly learn Elementium smelting.
Highlord Demetrian will summon Prince Thunderaan, which you must kill with your raid group. Once he is dead, simply loot Dormant Wind Kissed Blade and turn it in at Demetrian in order to receive your well earned Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker!
The proc on Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker deals a large amount of damage and threat. It also reduces Nature Resistance and, most importantly, slows enemy attacks while chaining to nearby enemies. This enables you to skip using Thunder Clap altogether while having double its attack slowing benefits with 100% uptime on enemies, and doubles up as a large threat increase for tanks. The weapon is also relatively fast, which allows you to spam Heroic Strike efficiently.
Because it combines the best offensive and defensive powers of WoW Classic on a single weapon, Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker is the ultimate legendary, which will never be replaced at Level 60.
- 13 Feb. 2020: Guide added.
- Upcoming Season of Discovery Phase 2 Class Tuning: February 27th
- WoW Hardcore Self-Found Mode Begins February 29th
- Dragonflight 10.2.5 and Season of Discovery Hotfixes, February 21st
- Gnomeregan Trinket Sends Player to Forbidden Zones in SoD Phase 2
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: February 20th
- Blizzard Acknowledges Gnomeregan Raid Lockout Bug
- Blizzard on AoE Threat in SoD Phase 2
- Season of Discovery and Classic Era Hotfixes: February 16th