FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vlad

Midrange Elemental Shaman Standard

7 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

Uhmm.... 

There are no elementals in the deck, most of the cards mentioned in the guide is not in the deck.

The decklist for Shaman Quest Deck was accidentally used instead, and Pesty has uploaded a fix already, so the correct decklist should be available very soon. Thanks for pointing it out!

2 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

So the guide says mulligan for Fire Plume Harbinger, which is normally acceptable as a 2-drop, but doesn't it need a relatively big hand to give some value? At the beginning, how many elementals are needed in hand? 

Due to the nature of tempo, using it on a full hand will enable more swingy turns turns later into the game due you being able to fit much more in.  However, by using it on turn 2 it functions more like a Wild Growth, letting you play your big minion in hand sooner.  

Much like Dragon decks, Elementals are strongest when played out on curve, accessing the curve sooner represents an exponential increase in tempo for a deck that is already strong on curve.  Additionally, this natural curve of the deck can also make it hard to find an opportunity to play Harbinger.

Guest Zralparek

The deck draws much of its power from awesome elemental battlecries. How about incorporating some of the Brewmasters for repeated battlecry pwnage? The deck provides enough control mechanisms for the games to drag out and so it seems this mechanic could provide very useful in the later stages of the game.

Plus, the Brewmasters come with pretty good stats on their own.

45 minutes ago, Guest Zralparek said:

The deck draws much of its power from awesome elemental battlecries. How about incorporating some of the Brewmasters for repeated battlecry pwnage? The deck provides enough control mechanisms for the games to drag out and so it seems this mechanic could provide very useful in the later stages of the game.

Plus, the Brewmasters come with pretty good stats on their own.

Youthful Brewmasters and Ancient Brewmasters often cause a loss of tempo, as you remove a minion from the board. This as a midrange decks requires a strong board, and removing minions from it, even though they have a strong battlecry, is counterproductive. The only card I would consider bouncing is Stone Sentinel, but since the deck runs only one, it does not justify adding bounce cards (Brewmasters).

Guest Aeryn

Would you consider running Earth Elemental? Also, perhaps Bloodlust as a finisher?

Guest ProfessorElemental

Perhaps stormcrack in place of one of the lightning bolts? Also card draw seems to be slow/inconsistent, any thoughts on maybe auctioneer or something to help?

4 hours ago, Guest Aeryn said:

Would you consider running Earth Elemental? Also, perhaps Bloodlust as a finisher?

The drawback of earth Elemental is generally considered far too high and can put you far behind if your opponent is able to have a cheap answer such as Execute, or Sap.

Bloodlust is reasonable in any Midrange Shaman deck thanks to the Hero Power,  however it doesn't stand out in this particular deck is as typically focused on playing one strong threat per turn, rather than a few smaller ones.

21 minutes ago, Guest ProfessorElemental said:

Perhaps stormcrack in place of one of the lightning bolts? Also card draw seems to be slow/inconsistent, any thoughts on maybe auctioneer or something to help?

Stormcrack over Lightning Bolt is completely reasonable if you feel like you are regularly running into 4 Health minions, the downside to this is that you will struggle slightly more against aggro.

If you want card draw I would consider a second Mana Tide Totem first, the deck doesnt run enough cheap spells to justify playing auctioneer.

Guest spaggeti

will it work if i replace 1 firefly with elise or hallazeal or is it gonna be too slow ?

6 hours ago, Guest spaggeti said:

will it work if i replace 1 firefly with elise or hallazeal or is it gonna be too slow ?

You will be losing two elementals, which is quite significant, but if you feel like you can afford to have that disadvantage, you can include one of the cards you mentioned. However, I would recommend Elise the Trailblazer over Hallazeal the Ascended, since you might not have enough damaging spells in your hand in order to gain significant amount of health, enough to make him worth the spot in the deck.

Guest SashaShulgin

What about replacing one of the Tol'vir Stoneshapers with Tar Creeper? It's pretty similar but it costs one less and is an elemental. I feel like there's a lot of good elementals that didn't make it into this deck. Also, what about Flamewreathed Faceless? I feel like it's such a solid Shaman card. 

4 hours ago, Guest SashaShulgin said:

What about replacing one of the Tol'vir Stoneshapers with Tar Creeper? It's pretty similar but it costs one less and is an elemental. I feel like there's a lot of good elementals that didn't make it into this deck. Also, what about Flamewreathed Faceless? I feel like it's such a solid Shaman card. 

Tol'vir Stoneshaper has better stats than Tar Creeper thanks to the divine shield and the fact you get to keep the attack on your turn, which is quite important in a midrange deck. 
Flamewreathed Faceless is too prone to soft removal and blocks your following turn. It can be swapped in if you often face control decks that can't really deal with it. It can be swapped in in place of Lightning Storm.

Guest Jade

I feel like I'm using my hero power a lot in these games. What are your thoughts on adding thing from below in place of maybe a Stoneshaper?

7 hours ago, Guest Jade said:

I feel like I'm using my hero power a lot in these games. What are your thoughts on adding thing from below in place of maybe a Stoneshaper?

That would be a fair swap in my opinion. 

Another option in place of Tol'vir Stoneshaper would be Fire Plume Phoenix.  Personally that is what I'm currently running. 

I wanted to test something and replaced the 2 Lightning Bolt with 2 Earth Shock and ofc I have situatuions where I could have used a Lighning Bolt instead but with all the buffs, deathrattles etc. I had far more situations where the Silence effect was more helpful than two more damage. Additionally I had several games where the use of Earth Shock was good enough and it saved me a Hex.

Thoughts?

14 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

I wanted to test something and replaced the 2 Lightning Bolt with 2 Earth Shock and ofc I have situatuions where I could have used a Lighning Bolt instead but with all the buffs, deathrattles etc. I had far more situations where the Silence effect was more helpful than two more damage. Additionally I had several games where the use of Earth Shock was good enough and it saved me a Hex.

Thoughts?

Was the extra removal better than a strong minion would have been?

Hmmm maybe I was not clear or I don't understand your question but I mean for example in the early game a minion that became a threat because of buffs or on going effects on it but so sad to use a hex for it but silencing it is more than enough so I can keep my Hex for bigger things out there. Or in the late game and I already used 2 Hex and I could kill my opponent sadly he has a big Taunt minion and I would need my resources to kill it instead of my opponent. Earth Shock won me a lot of games in such a situation.

@CaldyrvanI rephrased it to make it clearer. Basically, do you think that extra removal is better than strong minions in this deck? I last played this deck shortly after launch, so I don't really remember.

You confuse me more and more :D I did not remove any minions, I just replaced a removal spell with a more utility like spell because I feel like it is more useful.

11 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

You confuse me more and more :D I did not remove any minions, I just replaced a removal spell with a more utility like spell because I feel like it is more useful.

Sorry, that was not my intent (duh) - when you dropped Lightning Bolts, have you thought about adding minions instead of Earth Shocks, and if so, why did you decide against it? Asking because 2 strong removals (Hex in this case) seem to be enough most of the time.