Classic Guide to Mages' Best Macros
Welcome to our Macros guide for Mages where you will find out what the best macros are for your Mage in WoW Classic.
The objective of our Classic Mage Macros section will be to teach you some of the most common ways to build useful macros, allowing you to create your own macros in the future, for skills that we did not list here.
Macros for Classic Mages
- /cast Counterspell
Sometimes, you really want to get a spell out as soon as possible, such as when using Counterspell on an enemy caster. For these cases, it is very useful to have a /stopcasting macro, ensuring that your current cast does not interfere with the timing of your interrupt. Use it liberally with other types of crowd control, such as Polymorph and Iron Grenade.
- /castsequence reset=2 Arcane Intellect, Frost Armor
This macro will allow you to quickly buff yourself, while still having a reset timer low enough that it will not be a problem to buff your allies with it. You just need to wait slightly before pressing it for the next ally. If you prefer to buff on mouseover, feel free to add [target=mouseover] in between /castsequence and reset=2.
Easy Water and Food Creation Macro
- /castsequence reset=4 Conjure Water, Conjure Food
This macro allows you to automatically create your maximum rank water and food without needing new buttons for new ranks, in a single button. If you wish to only create water (the most common and desired consumable), just wait a second for the macro to reset instead of pressing it again for food.
Modifier Key Macro
- /cast [mod:alt] Frostbolt(Rank 1); Frostbolt
This macro will cast rank 1 Frostbolt if you press it while your "alt" key is also pressed and maximum rank Frostbolt otherwise. This is handy for both saving buttons and making use of your muscle memory of the Frostbolt button.
Combat Modifier Macro
- /cast [combat] Arcane Explosion; Arcane Explosion(Rank 1)
A variation of the modifier key macro above, this one will cast Arcane Explosion maximum rank if you are in combat and rank 1 otherwise, which is useful to get Rogues out of stealth for a small Mana cost.
Ice Block Macro
- #showtooltip Ice Block
- /cancelaura Ice Block
- /cast Ice Block
Sometimes you want to do a very quick Ice Block just to clear out debuffs, in which case the normal wait time built into the button to cancel its duration can be too long. For those cases, use a macro like the one above to instantly cast, and instantly cancel on the second press, Ice Block's buff.
Mouseover Polymorph and Remove Curse Macros
- #showtooltip Polymorph
- /cast [target=mouseover] Polymorph
- #showtooltip Remove Curse
- /cast [target=mouseover] Remove Curse
By including [target=mouseover] in the start of your /cast macro, you can make the mentioned spell cast on whatever you are mousing over, rather than your current target. This is very useful when fighting several enemies at once, to ensure you do not lose track of your main target, or immediately hit the polymorphed target by mistake. It is also more convenient to use a mouseover macro for Remove Curse while in a group.
Spammable Arcane Missile Macro
- #showtooltip Arcane Missiles
- /cast [nochanneling:Arcane Missiles] Arcane Missiles
You can use this style of macro to avoid wasting some of the channeling of the chosen spell by using a different action too soon.
Crowd Control into Bandage Macro
- /castsequence Polymorph, Heavy Runecloth Bandage
The logic behind this macro is that the first press will use a skill that disables opponents, while the second press will immediately start a bandage for self-healing.
Rare Tagging / Targeting Macro
- /target Owatanka
- /cast Fire Blast
This is the macro that will get you the tag when there are more than 5 players waiting for a respawn (otherwise just group up with them). Spam it to quickly target the named NPC and cast an instant Fire Blast, ensuring the tag in the most efficient manner possible.
Unstuck feature Macro
- /click HelpFrameCharacterStuckStuck
- /run RepopMe()
This macro will start a cast that uses the unstuck feature, instantly killing you which will allow you to Spirit Resurrect at the graveyard at any point. It is pretty useful early on, as the debuff you get from resurrecting at the graveyard is very short or non-existent and it can save you a ton of walking time. Most questing guides will point you when you are supposed to do this in order to gain time.
"One Shot" PoM Pyro Macro
- #showtooltip Arcane Power
- /use 13
- /use 10
- /cast Arcane Power
- /cast Presence of Mind
- /cast Pyroblast
The logic behind this macro is using every single cooldown available to us at the same time, followed by instantly dropping Pyroblast on the target for a massive burst of damage.
Classic Mage Addons
Macros are very important in making your character play as smoothly as possible, but so do addons, for which reason we recommend that you also read our Mage Addons page.
- 20 Jan. 2020: Split the page into Mage macros and Mage addons.
- 05 Jan. 2020: Added Details TinyThreat meter, GatherMate2, DejaClassicStats, ItemRack and a ton of PvP addons. Removed Azeroth Auto-Pilot.
- 03 Sep. 2019: Added a PvP addon section with Spy Classic and Classic Castbars.
- 31 Aug. 2019: Added Auctionator and TomTom.
- 29 Aug. 2019: Added Guidelime and reworked the full addon section, should be much clearer what to use now.
- 12 Aug. 2019: Added new macros and the addons Details, Twitch Emotes, ClassicThreatMeter, and changed some of the GitHub addon links to Curseforge for easier access.
- 20 Jul. 2019: Several new addons added.
- 30 Jun. 2019: Page added.
- Wrath Classic Phase 2 Launching on January 17th
- Naxxramas Achievement Rewards to Remain Available Throughout Wrath Classic
- Patch 3.4.1 PTR Development Notes: January 6th
- Summon Gargoyle Changes on the Wrath Classic PTR
- Ahead of the Curve and Cutting Edge Achievements Coming to Wrath Classic
- No Changes Planned for Ulduar Tier Sets Beyond 6 Item Level Bump
- Wrath Classic Season 1 Ends January 9th
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update