Magmadar Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Magmadar is the second boss you will encounter in Molten Core, and can be found at the back of the room filled with Core Hounds. Once you have killed Lucifron and all of the Core Hounds in the room, you are ready to pull Magmadar.
To face the next boss after Magmadar, Gehennas, you will need to head back to the main room.
Magmadar Summary by Role
- You only need one tank for this fight to hold the boss, preferably a Warrior.
- Hold the boss facing away from the raid, but make sure your healers are aware of where you will be standing, so they can make sure to be in range.
- If possible, use Berserker Rage or Fear Ward from a Dwarf Priest for the fears that happen.
- Dwarf Priests should be using Fear Ward on the tank when needed to deal with Panic.
- The tank will be in the most danger of dying, so having shields and healing over time effects rolling on them going into fears is a good idea.
- Make sure you are in range of the tank, but be max distance.
- Kill the Flamewaker Protectors first, then Magmadar.
- Ranged DPS need to be spread at their max distance while still being able to attack the boss.
- Melee DPS should always be behind the boss.
- Hunters need to be watching for Frenzy to use Tranquilizing Shot. Two or more Hunters alternating is ideal, but it is possible with 1 Hunter. It is just more dangerous, since you will have some Frenzy uptime.
General Tips for Magmadar
- Ranged DPS and Healers should be spread out at max range from the boss.
- Have a Warrior tank Magmadar so they can use Berserker Rage on the fear.
- Preferably have at least two Hunters with Tranquilizing Shot for the Frenzy.
Strategy for Magmadar
Magmadar is a very simple fight that does not have many mechanics. Have your tank hold Magmadar facing away from the raid, while the melee stand behind the boss and the rest of the raid spreads out at max range away from the boss. The entire raid should almost form a semi-circle around the boss, with everyone at around 40 yards away, or whatever their max range is.
The biggest thing to focus on in this fight is to make sure your Hunters are good about removing Frenzy immediately. The boss will get red and visibly larger when he uses Frenzy, but if you have an addon like Deadly Boss Mods, then it will also notify you when he enrages.
- Panic is an AoE fear that Magmadar will sometimes cast. Any targets within range will be feared, which can be dangerous for the tank. This is why ranged DPS and healers should be at max range, ensuring they will never get hit by the fear. Melee DPS can simply run back to the boss after, but the tank will either need to use Berserker Rage if they are a Warrior or get Fear Ward from a Dwarf Priest if you are Alliance.
- Frenzy is an enrage effect, causing the boss to attack 150% faster while active. This needs to be removed immediately using a Hunter's Tranquilizing Shot. Hunters can learn this ability from Tome of Tranquilizing Shot, which drops from Lucifron. Since it drops from the previous boss, at least 1 Hunter in your raid should always have it.
Loot from Magmadar
Below is a list of the loot available from this boss, but you can see a full loot list from the raid on our Molten Core Loot page.
Tier 1 Loot
|Legplates of Might||60||Legs||Warrior|
|Pants of Prophecy||60||Legs||Priest|
|Aged Core Leather Gloves||60||Hands|
|Deep Earth Spaulders||60||Shoulder|
|Eskhandar's Right Claw||60||Weapon|
|Fire Runed Grimoire||60||Off-hand|
|Magma Tempered Boots||60||Feet|
|Mana Igniting Cord||60||Waist|
|Medallion of Steadfast Might||60||Neck|
|Obsidian Edged Blade||60||Weapon|
|Quick Strike Ring||60||Finger|
|Sabatons of the Flamewalker||60||Feet|
|Talisman of Ephemeral Power||60||Trinket|
- 07 Nov. 2019: Page added.
- An Update on the Development of StarCraft II
- Players Join Protests Against Blizzard France In-Game
- Scourge Invasion Enabled on Phase 6 PTR
- Naxxramas Raid Testing Starts Thursday
- PvP Pools Hotfix Delayed Indefinitely
- The Insanity Continues: Imp Name Speedruns
- Fastest Solo Dire Maul Tribute Run: 5 Minutes 13 Seconds
- Sub-30 Minute Ahn'Qiraj Record Speed Clear