Aleco

Kobolds & Catacombs Set Review: Priest

Sign in to follow this  

11 posts in this topic

Priest-Hearthstone-Versability-Deck-Buil

Priest was already one of the strongest classes in the KFT meta, and it got even stronger in K&C.

Click here to read my other written set reviews!

My Rating System

Each card is rated on a scale of 1 to 5 on two criteria: Power and Versatility.

The Power rating reflects how much I expect a card to impact the game when played. Cards which immediately represent multiple cards worth of value (Ultimate Infestation) or have a powerful effect on the board for their mana cost (Sunkeeper Tarim) will receive high Power ratings, while cards which have a low impact on the game (Ice Breaker) or cost too much for their effect (Furnacefire Colossus) will receive Power low ratings.

The Versatility rating is intended to communicate how dependent a card is on other cards for its success. Cards can be very powerful without being versatile at all (Clutchmother Zavas), which means that many exciting and powerful cards will end up seeing very little play once the metagame is established. A high Versatility rating means a card relies very little on other cards to be good, and the more comfortable I would feel crafting that card on day one. A lower Versatility rating doesn't necessarily reflect that I expect the card to be bad, but that I wouldn't feel comfortable crafting it until it has proven itself to be a part of a competitive deck.

Unidentified Elixir

pr1.png

pr1-1.pngpr1-2.pngpr1-4.pngpr1-3.png

Fits into: Breakfast Priest

Power Versatility
3 2

One of the few decks that has been picking up steam as the KFT meta comes to a close is Aggro, or Breakfast Priest. Though I don't see much application for Unidentified Elixir in controlling Priest builds, all four of these "Identified" Elixirs pack a serious punch in a deck which is looking to play to the board early and get value off of Devilsaur Egg. I'm optimistic that Aggro Priest will continue to rise in the K&C meta, which means I'm also optimistic about Unidentified Elixir's chances of seeing play.

Psionic Probe

pr2.png

Fits into: Spells Matter Priest

Power Versatility
2 1

We'll see several cards in just a moment that task Priest with casting a certain number of spells. In those decks, Psionic Probe may be a necessary evil. Outside of those decks, I think you can do better.

Gilded Gargoyle

pr3.png

Fits into: Spells Matter Priest, Deathrattle Priest

Power Versatility
2 2

I don't think that Gilded Gargoyle does enough on its own to see play in decks which lack synergy for it. There's no better cheap spell than The Coin, so I can easily envision this card slotting into the Spells Matter deck. It could also see play in Deathrattle Priest as a way to trigger Awaken the Makers. Either way, I don't expect Gilded Gargoyle to play a significant role in the upcoming metagame.

Duskbreaker

pr4.png

Fits into: Dragon Priest

Power Versatility
5 3

I've got a good feeling that Duskbreaker is going to be on a lot of lists for "best card in the set". It's Battlecry effect is extremely powerful, and would likely see play even if it wasn't attached to a 3/3 body. I'm incredibly thankful that this card will only be cropping up in Dragon Priest lists, but I have a nagging suspicion that Duskbreaker may even be powerful enough to motivate Highland Priest decks to switch to more Dragon-centric builds.

Diamond Spellstone

pr5.pngpr5-1.pngpr5-2.png

Fits into: Big Priest

Power Versatility
4 2

This card will immediately slot into Big Priest, where even the "lesser" version of Pearl Spellstone will do some serious work. Being able to cast multiple copies off this card off Shadow Visions will finally give Big Priest decks the ability to deploy more threats than many Control decks have answers for, providing them with the late game trump card they had been sorely lacking. Though the upgrade clause on this card is fairly steep, the fact that it costs 7 mana means you should have plenty of time to cast spells and upgrade it.

Twilight's Call

pr6.png

Fits into: Deathrattle Priest, Breakfast Priest

Power Versatility
3 2

Every kind of Deathrattle Priest deck, Quest Priest or not, will be interested in running a few copies of Twilight's Call. The two 1/1s which come down after this card is played trigger Awaken the Makers, which should greatly help a deck that had previously struggled to complete the quest in a timely manner. Twilight's Call also works excellently with Obsidian StatueCairne Bloodhoof, and Devilsaur Egg, which means it should also be able earn a spot in Breakfast Priest lists.

Psychic Scream

pr7.png

Fits into: Control Priest

Power Versatility
4 3

At one mana less than Twisting Nether, Psychic Scream is a potent and powerful board wipe with serious upside against Deathrattle minions. Control Priest will be extremely happy to play a copy or two of this card as an anti-aggro tool, but I have my doubts that Psychic Scream will be a home run in every matchup. Having to shuffle all the minions into your opponent's deck means that this is more of stopgap than a permanent answer, and the fact that it puts you far behind in the fatigue race makes it pretty awful in control mirrors. It's still going to see a bit of play, but I doubt it will rein in the era of Priest dominance that the Hearthstone community seems to think it will.

Twilight Acolyte

pr8.png

Fits into: Dragon Priest

Power Versatility
4 2

Yet another extremely compelling reason to play Dragon Priest, Twilight Acolyte is a card with a high floor and even higher ceiling. It's Battlecry trigger can be used both offensively and defensively, and it isn't hard to imagine a number of scenarios where this card sets up some extremely favorable trades.

Dragon Soul

pr9.png

Fits into: Spells Matter Priest

Power Versatility
4 1

The only true payoff for running the "Spells Matter" deck which is hinted at by a few of the other Priest cards, Dragon Soul has some serious potential. Getting just one Dragon off this card makes it a worthwhile investment for 3 mana, while getting two or more Dragons is simply bonkers. Unfortunately, I don't see any other particularly compelling reasons to play the Spells Matter deck outside of Dragon Soul. I have faith that the deck will purr along like well-oiled engine whenever it draws Dragon Soul, but what is it supposed to do when it doesn't?

Temporus

pr10.png

Fits into: Don't play this card

Power Versatility
1 1

Unless I'm missing something, I just don't see how Temporus is ever a card worth putting in your deck. Giving your opponent two turns in a row can lead to any number of disaster scenarios if the game is even relatively close. Temporus is strong if you're very far ahead, but I'm not in the business of putting cards in my deck which assume that everything will go right. Pass.

Thoughts on the Class

Thanks to the additions of Duskbreaker and Twlight Acolyte, Dragon Priest is shaping up to be one of the most powerful decks in the upcoming metagame. I don't expect the Spells Matter deck to amount to much, but see some serious potential for Breakfast Priest with Unidentified Elixir and Twilight's Call. Highlander Priest even picked up a powerful board wipe in Psychic Scream. A class which was already quite strong in the KFT metagame, Priest appears to have gotten even better in K&C.

I agree with all your ratings, I think. and Yea we all thought Highlander Priest needs more stuff to be finally a good deck.

• Like 1

Twilight acolyte kinda makes me want to play dragon priest. Duskbreaker is insane, but the fun factor isn't as high as the "confused Vol'Jin" effect, especially with the 2-attack priest synergy. We'll see if I can open a couple on release day.

3 minutes ago, Kuster said:

We'll see if I can open a couple on release day.

I wish you good luck :)

• Like 1

I can already see the Trolden videos flow in:

- Opponent plays The Lich King/Tirion Fordring/(insert big useful minion here)

- Priests starts laughing maniacally and spamming "Well Played" like a retard pro player.

- Twilight Acolyte.

Cabal Shadow Priest.

- Opponent concedes.

Get ready for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time of that crap, boys!

• Haha 1

I think you underestimate Psychic Scream. That card is nuts.

Obviously, not a card to play in dragon priest but another board clear for shi*lander priest is just what we need. Most minions in that deck are weak card draw stuff, except Lyra and Velen and maybe Kazakus. You give all your garbage to your opponent and screw with their draws. Also, interfere with their board development to gain more time to finish the game with uncontested 30 damage from hand. That card could be 8 mana and still be OP. 

• Like 1

Well, priest in general is no fun to play against atm. I'm often tempted  and actually do concede, just to preserve my mood. Not worth playing against.

Edited by Caldyrvan

7 hours ago, Aleco said:

Temporus

pr10.png

Fits into: Don't play this card

Power Versatility
1 1

Unless I'm missing something, I just don't see how Temporus is ever a card worth putting in your deck. Giving your opponent two turns in a row can lead to any number of disaster scenarios if the game is even relatively close. Temporus is strong if you're very far ahead, but I'm not in the business of putting cards in my deck which assume that everything will go right. Pass.

Mostly what I thought about. There's a single scenario where this card could actually be "half-good", is against an opponent with empty hand or just 1 card, but this also can lead to disasters.

I understand, even though I don't like it, that they have to print bad cards or which are just worse than others for several reasons but I don't get it why they print cards which might only be seen played by a youtuber who wants to troll  for 10 minutes.

And what makes me sad (and laughing at the same time) that there was a guy who created this card because he/she thought it's funny and then he/she showed it to other card making guys and they all cheer because they are as dump as the guy who created this card.

Edited by Caldyrvan

6 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

I understand, even though I don't like it, that they have to print bad cards or which are just worse than others for several reasons but I don't get it why they print cards which might only be seen played by a youtuber who wants to troll  for 10 minutes.

And what makes me sad (and laughing at the same time) that there was a guy who created this card because he/she thought it's funny and then he/she showed it to other card making guys and they all cheer because they are as dump as the guy who created this card.

Not every card is made for the Tier1 deks.... they are adding a lot of "fun cards" with bizarre efects that may be fun for some ppl... I mean... change deks with your oponent => discover un'goro that a really fun combo, or change deks and 2 tracking that woud be hilarious.

And the Temporus is a high risk high reward play, if you survive that turn (turns) you won the game. 

I totally agree that are some cards which are made for fun and the blizzard errm I mean bizarre ;)

But Temporus isn't creating an interesting or weird effect that is cool to watch, in most of the cases it will be just do nothing good and then there is one in 100 games where you catch your opponent in a bad situation and you can follow up with dull Two-Turn-Kill combo. ... great job -.-

Edited by Caldyrvan