Table of Contents
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Synergies and Matchups
On this page, you will find out how to properly play Ana. From general playstyle advice, to more specific advice like ultimate usage or combos, we tell you everything we think matters to master your hero.
The other pages of our Ana guide can be accessed from the table of contents on the right.
Introduction to Ana
When playing Ana, getting the most out of her playstyle is fairly difficult because of her reliance on aim and decision-making. Not only does Ana need to decide on who tho heal (since her main form of healing is single-target) but she must make the shots for the heals to have an effect. This is extremely difficult, especially when Ana is firing her Biotic Rifle while unscoped since the weapon shoots projectiles. Additionally, Ana is heavily focused by enemy flankers, so positioning is key to her success.
Who to Heal as Ana
As Ana's Biotic Rifle is a single-target ability, sometimes she must choose who to heal first. Therefore, understanding who is most important to keep alive in the current situation is crucial to her success.
In order from (typically) most important to least important, Ana's targets for healing are
- Someone using a crucial ultimate ability
- Someone who has full ultimate charge
- Supports/damage heroes
The most important target for heals is typically an ally who is currently using their ultimate. For example, an ally Genji using Dragonblade should be Ana's primary heals target.
The second most important target for heals is typically an ally who has full ultimate charge. While the ally has yet to use their ultimate, he or she could pop it at any time. Therefore, they are a high-priority for Ana's heals.
After accounting for ultimates, it is really a toss up between the support/damage dealers for next healing priority. Typically, healing the other support is a tad more important for an extended fight, however, damage heroes need to be alive to win fights as well.
Last, but not least, tank heroes are the last priority. Generally, keeping a main tank alive is more important than keeping an off tank alive, as the main tank defends the rest of the team from attack.
Since Biotic Rifle can be used from anywhere on a map, Ana typically wants to be on high ground with an off tank or her damage dealing heroes. These allies can help Ana peel enemy flankers or enemy off tanks should they go all in on her.
If allies move forward, Ana needs to stay with the team and only lag behind. While Ana should have some separation from her team, she does not want to be split from them. Therefore, Ana should never be off by herself during team fights.
Biotic Grenade Uses
Biotic Grenade is a fantastic ability as it denies healing for enemy characters and increases healing for ally players. While the grenade is crucial to Ana's kit, it has a small area of effect. Therefore, Ana must decide on who to use it on to deny or boost healing.
Biotic Grenade uses include:
- Stopping an enemy tank from getting heals;
- Denying self-sustain abilities like Reaper's The Reaping;
- Boosting healing on allies using ultimates or channel abilities;
- Healing multiple allies for a small amount of healing.
Nano Boost Uses
Nano Boost is an incredible utility ability, which means deciding who to use it on can be difficult. Nano Boost gives increased outcoming damage, decreased incoming damage, and an instant heal. Therefore, the ability is arguably best used on damage-dealing heroes who can utilize the boost to take out the enemy team.
Typically, Nano Boost is best used with ally multi-target damage ultimates. For example, Nano Boost and Genji's Dragonblade is an extremely powerful synergy. Additionally, it can be paired with ultimates like McCree's Deadeye, Pharah's Barrage, Reaper's Death Blossom, and Soldier: 76's Tactical Visor.
Nano Boost is also good for keeping heroes alive, especially during clutch moments on capture points. Boosting a tank, or even a support, might be worth it in an attempt to secure a point when the fight comes down to only a few heroes.
About our Author
Mournflakes is a flex Grandmaster Overwatch player who boasts a career high SR rating of 4433. His favorite heroes are Roadhog, Soldier: 76, and Ana. He has played Overwatch since its initial release, and has put over 700 hours into competitive play. When not writing guides, you can catch Mournflakes streaming on his Twitch channel.
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Synergies and Matchups
- David Kim Leaves Blizzard (WoW Principal Designer and Former Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer)
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- The "Grandfather" of Classic Omar Gonzalez Left Blizzard for Dreamhaven
- Crash Bandicoot: It's About Time Available on Battle.net
- Icy Veins 10-Year Anniversary Giveaway!
- Activision Blizzard Plans to Lay Off Even More Employees
- Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick Set to Receive $200 Million Bonus
- Activision Blizzard Reportedly Lays Off 190 Employees Due to Ongoing Pandemic
- Overwatch Zenyatta Skins
- Let's discuss to clarify the rumors about Overwatch 2 about Blizzard's new game.
- Rapture Gaming Recruiting new members for Xbox One!
- Fever Clan - Looking For More Overwatch Players!
- Which countries are Overwatch characters from?
- Overwatch Reinhardt
- Hanzo - Simple Geometry
- Sorry Sombra