Classic Skinning Profession Guide
Skinning is a very popular and useful profession in WoW Classic. While leveling, it is very convenient to pick up gathering professions, since they do not require much time to level. With Skinning, you will be able to skin what you kill.
Skinning can be used on Beasts, Dragonkin, some Humanoids, and Silithids. You can only skin a mob if the corpse has been completely looted. Skinning works great when paired with the crafting profession Leatherworking.
In order to start skinning, you need to purchase a Skinning Knife from any Skinning trainer or general store. You need this item in your inventory in order to skin a mob, but you DO NOT need to wear it to skin.
With the release of Zul'Gurub, there is a BiS Skinning knife that gives the same bonus as the Finkle's Skinner from the Beast, the Zulian Slicer, which gives you a +10 Skinning bonus.
Zul'Gurub also contains 41 Zulian Crocolisks, which can be skinned for 1-2 Rugged Leather, 1-2 Thick Leather, or 1 Rugged Hide.
- Balthus Stoneflayer — Ironforge (40,32)
- Maris Granger — Stormwind City (68,49)
- Eladriel — Darnassus (30,52)
- Helene Peltskinner — Elwynn Forest (46,62)
- Radnaal Maneweaver — Teldrassil (42,50)
- Jayla — Ashenvale (50,67)
- Wilma Ranthal — Redridge Mountains (89,71)
- Killian Hagey — Undercity (70,59)
- Thuwd — Orgrimmar (63,45)
- Mooranta — Thunder Bluff (44,43)
- Dranh — Mulgore (45, 59)
- Yonn Deepcut — Mulgore (45,58)
- Rand Rhobart — Tirisfal Glades (65,60)
- Kulleg Stonehorn — Feralas (74,43)
- Malux — Desolace (23,69)
Types of Leather
Commonly Used Leather
- 1-17: Ruined Leather Scraps
- 1-27: Light Leather
- 3-27: Light Hide
- 11-37: Medium Leather / Medium Hide
- 23-46: Heavy Leather / Heavy Hide
- 35-63: Thick Leather / Thick Hide
- 40-63: Rugged Leather / Rugged Hide
Leather Encountered While Leveling
- Wool Cloth — skinned from Sheep in low-level zones (they can also be skinned for Ruined Leather Scraps and Light Leather) and used for a number of low-level Tailoring recipes;
- Deviate Scale/ Perfect Deviate Scale — skinned from Deviate mobs in Mulgore and Wailing Caverns, and used in Leatherworking to make Deviate Scale Belt, Deviate Scale Cloak, and Deviate Scale Gloves;
- Red Whelp Scale — skinned from Whelps in the Wetlands and used to make Red Whelp Gloves by Leatherworkers;
- Shiny Fish Scales — skinned from Frenzy fish around Azeroth and used by Shamans to fuel their Water Breathing spell;
- Shadowcat Hide — skinned from Panthers in Stranglethron Vale and Swamps of Sorrows, needed to make Shadowskin Gloves and Dusky Boots with Leatherworking;
- Scorpid Scale — skinned from Level 40 to 54 scorpion mobs and used in Leatherworking to make Tough Scorpid Boots, Tough Scorpid Bracers, Tough Scorpid Breastplate, Tough Scorpid Gloves, Tough Scorpid Helm, Tough Scorpid Leggings, and Tough Scorpid Shoulders;
- Worn Dragonscale — skinned from Level 40 to 60 Dragonkin mobs throughout Azeroth and used in Leatherworking to make Dragonscale Gauntlets and Dragonscale Breastplate;
- Chimera Leather — skinned from select mobs in Winterspring and Azshara and needed to make Chimeric Boots, Chimeric Gloves, Chimeric Leggings, and Chimeric Vest with Leatherworking;
- Warbear Leather — skinned from Level 50 to 60 bears (mostly in Winterspring) and used in Leatherworking to make Warbear Harness and Warbear Woolies;
- Heavy Silithid Carapace — skinned from Silithid in Un'Goro Crater and Silithus, and used by Leatherworkers to make Sandstalker Bracers, Sandstalker Gauntlets, and Sandstalker Breastplate;
- Heavy Scorpid Scale — skinned from Level 50 to 60 scorpion mobs (mostly in Silithus) and used to make Icy Scale Bracers, Icy Scale Breastplate,and Icy Scale Gauntlets (by a Leatherworker or Craftsman Wilhelm).
- Scale of Onyxia — skinned from Onyxia and needed to make Onyxia Scale Cloak (Leatherworking), which people need to defeat Nefarian in Blackwing Lair;
- Core Leather — Ancient Core Hounds and Magmadar in Molten Core and used to make high-end Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, and Tailoring recipes;
- Pristine Hide of the Beast — skinned from The Beast in Upper Blackrock Spire and the objective of the quests that reward you with Breastplate of Bloodthirst, Cap of the Scarlet Savant, and Leggings of Arcana;
- Brilliant Chromatic Scale — skinned from Chromaggus and dropped by elite Dragonkin mobs in Upper Blackrock Spire, it is used in Leatherworking to make Chromatic Gauntlets and Chromatic Cloak, and is needed for the quests that reward Breastplate of the Chromatic Flight, Legguards of the Chromatic Defier, and Legplates of the Chromatic Defier;
- Black Dragonscale — skinned from Elite Dragonkin mobs in Blackwing Lair and Burning Steppes, and used by Warlocks for their class quest Doomsday Candle and by Leatherworkers to make Chromatic Cloak, Black Dragonscale Boots, Black Dragonscale Breastplate, Black Dragonscale Leggings, and Black Dragonscale Shoulders.
Skinning is very different from other gathering professions, since it requires you to kill a mob in order to interact with the skill. You can choose to passively level Skinning by skinning whatever mobs you can skin as you level. If you are behind in level, or want to power level Skinning, then here is a list of the best places to train Skinning at each level.
Alliance: 1 to 100
Horde: 1 to 100
Alliance & Horde: 100 to 300
- 15 Apr. 2020: Updated for the release of Zul'Gurub.
- 15 Aug. 2019: Page added.
- WoW Classic Phase 5 Hotfixes: August 3rd
- Chinese Servers Open the Gates, Raids Bug and Unlock Early, Skeram Dead
- The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj Open on 5 Realms Around 21:00 PDT Tuesday!
- Ahn'Qiraj Gates Open Soon, So Here's the Best AQ Trailer Ever
- Hamstring Nightfall Proc Issues Clarified, Not a Bug!
- Old Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction Trailer Upscaled to 4K
- Suspensions Coming for Green Scepter Shard Griefing
- Blizzard at Gamescom 2020
- [Q]Opener Trinket Swap
- Looking for real help
- Smite Priest DPS Guide
- A casual, social and troll free community for players of all levels!
- [Scholomance SOLO] Warlock, World First ?
- What happened to the UI community?
- Shaman Tank Guide - Serious Look at Shaman Tanking in World of Warcraft