Scarlet Monastery Library Dungeon Guide
Scarlet Monastery is a dungeon with 4 wings that each require different levels and setups depending on which one you are attempting. For the Library wing, we recommend only attempting this with a group from Level 31 to 35 for the smoothest possible run. This wing can be completed in under an hour.
The monastery is one of the last surviving bastions of the Scarlet Crusade, a fanatical religious sect that has dedicated their entire existence to the absolute eradication of the undead.
1. Entrance Location
The entrance to Scarlet Monastery is located in Tirisfal Glades, to the northeast of Undercity. Once you go in to the monastery, there are 4 doors, with each one leading into a different wing of the dungeon.
2. Obtaining the Scarlet Key
3. Recommended Classes for Scarlet Monastery Library
4. Layout of Scarlet Monastery Library
The layout of this dungeon is completely linear, except for the placement of the first boss Houndmaster Loksey. After you have cleared the first corridor, you will enter an open courtyard area. The path to the final boss is on the opposite side of this area, but if you turn right instead, you will come to the room of Loksey.
After you have killed him, follow the natural progression of the dungeon to reach Arcanist Doan.
5. Notable Trash in Scarlet Monastery Library
The trash in this instance will run away when at low HP, so make sure to either kill or slow them before they pull other packs.
For the later trash pulls, there are a large number of casters. The best way to pull these is to pull them back rather than moving to their position. Use the corridors to line of sight the casters and then kill them; this also helps with preventing chain pulling.
6. Bosses in Scarlet Monastery Library
6.1. Houndmaster Loksey
Houndmaster Loksey is a Level 34 elite humanoid and first boss of the dungeon.
You should CC the adds before engaging Loksey and then kill him. He has no mechanics worth mentioning, assuming the adds are all under CC. If not, you should kill the dogs as soon as possible, as Loksey will buff them with Bloodlust.
6.1.1. Loot from Houndmaster Loksey
|Dog Training Gloves||29||Hands|
|Loksey's Training Stick||31||Weapon|
6.2. Arcanist Doan
Arcanist Doan is a Level 37 elite humanoid and the last boss of the dungeon.
This boss has multiple AoE abilities that need to be dealt with to avoid wiping your party. His Arcane Explosion will deal damage to any players in melee range and his Silence will silence all enemies in the same range. Ranged players need to stay away from the boss, especially the healer, as a silence at the wrong time will lead to a wipe.
When the boss shouts "Burn in righteous fire!", run as far away from the boss as you can or you will take a massive amount of damage. You can tank him near the entrance of the room and use the entrance walls to block line of sight and avoid the incoming damage.
The boss also casts Polymorph, so be careful if your healer is targeted by this. A Priest can dispel this, as can a Warlock's Felhunter pet.
6.2.1. Loot from Arcanist Doan
|Mantle of Doan||33||Shoulder|
|Robe of Doan||33||Chest|
7. Quests in Scarlet Monastery Library
This wing has quests for both the Alliance and Horde, as well as a boss being included in the Scarlet Monastery instance-wide kill quest.
7.1. Alliance-only Quests in Scarlet Monastery Library
There is only 1 quest for the Alliance in the Library wing and that is Mythology of the Titans, which is given to you by Librarian Mae Paledust in the Hall of Explorers in Ironforge. You need to retrieve the book Mythology of the Titans from the library. To find this, go to the first room on the left of the corridor before Arcanist Doan's corridor. It is on the ground between two benches.
7.2. Horde-only Quests in Scarlet Monastery Library
There are 2 Horde-only quests in this wing of the dungeon.
- Compendium of the Fallen — retrieve the book Compendium of the Fallen. This quest is given by Sage Truthseeker in Thunder Bluff. This book can be found at the final corner of the corridor before Arcanist Doan's corridor. It is in the bookcase.
- Test of Lore — retrieve the book Beginnings of the Undead Threat. This quest is given by Parqual Fintallas, but only after completing the chain that starts with Test of Faith. This starting quest is given to you by Dorn Plainstalker in Thousand Needles. To find this book, head through the corridor after the open courtyard area and go turn into the next one. Go into the first room on the left and it is on a table.
7.3. Mage-only Class Quests in Scarlet Monastery Library
There is a Mage class quest in this wing that is available to both Alliance and Horde players.
Rituals of Power requires you to get the book Rituals of Power from the dungeon. This quest is given by Tabetha in Dustwallow Marsh and is part of a chain that starts with Journey to the Marsh from the Mage trainers in Stormwind and Orgrimmar.
The book is located on a bookshelf in Arcanist Doan's corridor.
7.4. Notable Quest Loot from Scarlet Monastery Library
The only notable quest loot in this wing of the dungeon comes for the main quest that takes place in all of the wings.
|Black Menace||In the Name of the Light||Weapon|
|Bonebiter||In the Name of the Light||Weapon|
|Orb of Lorica||In the Name of the Light||Off Hand|
|Sword of Serenity||In the Name of the Light||Weapon|
|Dragon's Blood Necklace||Into The Scarlet Monastery||Neck|
|Prophetic Cane||Into The Scarlet Monastery||Off Hand|
|Sword of Omen||Into The Scarlet Monastery||Weapon|
Note that the following loot is not rewarded from a quest directly in the dungeon, but is rewarded from another quest in the chain of the Mage-only quest, Rituals of Power.
|Icefury Wand||Mage's Wand||Wand|
|Nether Force Wand||Mage's Wand||Wand|
|Ragefire Wand||Mage's Wand||Wand|
- 18 Aug. 2019: Added Mage-only quest to quest list.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Guide added.
- Free Character Moves (US) Coming September 19th
- New Realms and Free Character Moves for Brasil, Latin America, and Spain
- Buff Slot Clarifications and Upcoming Hotfixes
- WoW Classic EU Queue Times: September 18th
- Instance Reset Bans and Exploit Clarification
- WoW Classic City Tour: Stormwind
- Repeated Instance Encounter Reset Hotfix and Possible Bans
- WoW Classic Tank and Healer Rankings/Tier List
- [A] Treachery | Sulfuras | NA PvE / PvP | Tuesday 10 PM - 1 AM | One Night Raiding
- Shaman Tank Guide - Serious Look at Shaman Tanking in World of Warcraft
- Which class are you going to play in Classic and why?
- [A] Ludicrous Speed Oceanic - Arugal - PvP (Australia/NZ/Asia)
- Smite Priest DPS Guide
- Netherwind Realm Discord Link (One of the newer US East PVP Realms)
- WoW Classic - [Alliance] Chill Casual [Kirtonos] [Raids Sat/Sun 8-11pm]
- WoW Classic Guild - NewGen |Hardcore|Horde|European|