Scarlet Monastery Library Dungeon Guide
Scarlet Monastery is a dungeon with 4 wings that each require different levels and setups depending on which one you are attempting. For the Library wing, we recommend only attempting this with a group from Level 31 to 35 for the smoothest possible run. This wing can be completed in under an hour.
You can find out more about the instance and all of its wings in our Scarlet Monastery.
Before setting foot in Scarlet Monastery, we strongly advise you to get all the dungeon quests related to it. To make this process easier, we have written a separate guide.
The entrance to Scarlet Monastery is located in Tirisfal Glades, to the northeast of Undercity. Once you go in to the monastery, there are 4 doors, with each one leading into a different wing of the dungeon.
Obtaining the Scarlet Key
The key to enter the later 2 wings, The Scarlet Key, is found in a chest after killing Arcanist Doan.
Recommended Classes for Scarlet Monastery Library
If you are Horde, bringing a Shaman can be very useful as they can purge the shield on Arcanist Doan.
Layout of Scarlet Monastery Library
The layout of this dungeon is completely linear, except for the placement of the first boss Houndmaster Loksey. After you have cleared the first corridor, you will enter an open courtyard area. The path to the final boss is on the opposite side of this area, but if you turn right instead, you will come to the room of Loksey.
After you have killed him, follow the natural progression of the dungeon to reach Arcanist Doan.
Notable Trash in Scarlet Monastery Library
The trash in this instance will run away when at low HP, so make sure to either kill or slow them before they pull other packs.
For the later trash pulls, there are a large number of casters. The best way to pull these is to pull them back rather than moving to their position. Use the corridors to line of sight the casters and then kill them; this also helps with preventing chain pulling.
Bosses in Scarlet Monastery Library
Houndmaster Loksey is a Level 34 elite humanoid and first boss of the dungeon.
You should CC the adds before engaging Loksey and then kill him. He has no mechanics worth mentioning, assuming the adds are all under CC. If not, you should kill the dogs as soon as possible, as Loksey will buff them with Bloodlust.
Loot from Houndmaster Loksey
|Dog Training Gloves||29||Hands|
|Loksey's Training Stick||31||Weapon|
Arcanist Doan is a Level 37 elite humanoid and the last boss of the dungeon.
This boss has multiple AoE abilities that need to be dealt with to avoid wiping your party. His Arcane Explosion will deal damage to any players in melee range and his Silence will silence all enemies in the same range. Ranged players need to stay away from the boss, especially the healer, as a silence at the wrong time will lead to a wipe.
When the boss shouts "Burn in righteous fire!", run as far away from the boss as you can or you will take a massive amount of damage. You can tank him near the entrance of the room and use the entrance walls to block line of sight and avoid the incoming damage.
The boss also casts Polymorph, so be careful if your healer is targeted by this. A Priest can dispel this, as can a Warlock's Felhunter pet.
Loot from Arcanist Doan
|Mantle of Doan||33||Shoulder|
|Robe of Doan||33||Chest|
Quests in Scarlet Monastery Library
This wing has quests for both the Alliance and Horde, as well as a boss being included in the Scarlet Monastery instance-wide kill quest.
Houndmaster Loksey is required for the Horde quest (Into The Scarlet Monastery) and the Alliance quest (In the Name of the Light).
Alliance-only Quests in Scarlet Monastery Library
There is only 1 quest for the Alliance in the Library wing and that is Mythology of the Titans, which is given to you by Librarian Mae Paledust in the Hall of Explorers in Ironforge. You need to retrieve the book Mythology of the Titans from the library. To find this, go to the first room on the left of the corridor before Arcanist Doan's corridor. It is on the ground between two benches.
Horde-only Quests in Scarlet Monastery Library
There are 2 Horde-only quests in this wing of the dungeon.
- Compendium of the Fallen — retrieve the book Compendium of the Fallen. This quest is given by Sage Truthseeker in Thunder Bluff. This book can be found at the final corner of the corridor before Arcanist Doan's corridor. It is in the bookcase.
- Test of Lore — retrieve the book Beginnings of the Undead Threat. This quest is given by Parqual Fintallas, but only after completing the chain that starts with Test of Faith. This starting quest is given to you by Dorn Plainstalker in Thousand Needles. To find this book, head through the corridor after the open courtyard area and go turn into the next one. Go into the first room on the left and it is on a table.
Mage-only Class Quests in Scarlet Monastery Library
There is a Mage class quest in this wing that is available to both Alliance and Horde players.
Rituals of Power requires you to get the book Rituals of Power from the dungeon. This quest is given by Tabetha in Dustwallow Marsh and is part of a chain that starts with Journey to the Marsh from the Mage trainers in Stormwind and Orgrimmar.
The book is located on a bookshelf in Arcanist Doan's corridor.
- 18 Oct. 2019: Updated Scarlet Key section and moved quest section.
- 18 Aug. 2019: Added Mage-only quest to quest list.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Guide added.
- Rockbiter and Windfury Weapon at the Same Time (or Flametongue or Frostbrand)
- Starting Zone Heroes: Gorak's Guide to Classic
- WoW Classic Phase 5 Hotfixes: August 7th
- Diablo 2 4K60 Upscaled Gameplay: 4 Acts Sorceress
- WoW Classic Hotfixes: August 5th
- EU Guilds Down C'thun in Under an Hour, 1.5 for Full Clear, Progress EU No.1
- Frost Wands Not Working on Viscidus?
- Activision Blizzard CFO Optimistic About Diablo Immortal
- [Q]Opener Trinket Swap
- Looking for real help
- Smite Priest DPS Guide
- A casual, social and troll free community for players of all levels!
- [Scholomance SOLO] Warlock, World First ?
- What happened to the UI community?
- Shaman Tank Guide - Serious Look at Shaman Tanking in World of Warcraft