Chromaggus Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Chromaggus is the seventh boss you will encounter in Blackwing Lair, and can be found in the room after the three drakes' room. Chromaggus is the penultimate boss in Blackwing Lair, and is also quite a unique boss in that he changes week to week.
Chromaggus Summary by Role
- You will need at least 2 tanks.
- Pay attention to which two breath types are being cast. You will only need to tank swap if Time Lapse is one of the casts, in which case the off-tank should always LoS this cast, then come back and immediately taunt away from the main tank. You can then swap every Time Lapse cast.
- If Time Lapse is not one of the breaths, then the main tank will just need to hold Chromaggus and never leave his LoS.
- Dispels and curse removals are absolutely critical on this fight, depending on what debuffs go out. Always remove any debuffs that you can from everyone in the raid.
- The only main breath to watch out for is Time Lapse. If this happens, 2 healers and the off-tank will be the only people LoSing the breath each time it is cast to ensure they can keep everyone alive for the 6 seconds that you will be stunned.
- With the exception of Time Lapse as stated above, you should be running around a corner to LoS every single breath. This is the single most important mechanic of the fight, and failure to do so will likely mean death.
- Mages and Druids should be removing curses when possible.
- Hunters should be watching for Frenzy to use Tranquilizing Shot.
- You should be running around a corner to LoS every single breath. This is the single most important mechanic of the fight, and failure to do so will likely mean death.
- The exception to the above rule is for Time Lapse. If Time Lapse is one of the breaths, then all DPS need to be hit by it every time to avoid stealing aggro from the tank.
General Tips for Chromaggus
- The fight plays out in one of two ways, and entirely comes down to whether or not Time Lapse is one of the breaths. The entire raid should always LoS every breath, but should get hit by every single Time Lapse breath if it is one of the two breaths that week.
- Dispels and curse removals are critical. The entire raid should be actively looking to remove debuffs when possible, and everyone should be using Restorative Potions and Powerful Anti-Venoms to remove magic effects and poisons if applicable.
- Hunters should be watching for Frenzy to remove it with Tranquilizing Shot.
Strategy for Chromaggus
Chromaggus is a unique boss in that it changes week to week. Each week, Chromaggus will choose two of five possible breaths to alternate casting throughout the fight. The five possible breaths are listed below.
- Time Lapse will stun anyone in LoS for 6 seconds, reduce their health by 50%, and reduce their generated threat by 50%.
- Ignite Flesh will deal some Fire damage every 3 seconds for 1 minute to anyone in LoS. This effect can stack.
- Frost Burn deals a burst of Frost damage and increases the time between melee attacks by 80% for 15 seconds to anyone in LoS.
- Corrosive Acid deals some Nature damage every 3 seconds and reduces armor by 4500 for 15 seconds to anyone in LoS.
- Incinerate deals a large burst of Fire damage to anyone in LoS.
Four of the breaths basically play out the exact same way and do not chance the fight at all. The only breath that will change what you do is Time Lapse. If Time Lapse is not one of the breaths, then one tank can hold Chromaggus the entire fight and the raid can just LoS every single breath. If Time Lapse is one of the breaths, then the entire raid needs to be hit by it every time it is cast, with the exception of an off-tank and ~2 healers. As soon as Time Lapse is cast, the off-tank can run back into LoS, taunt the boss, and hold the boss until the tanks swap on the next cast again. The entire raid will want to be hit by each Time Lapse cast because it is easy for someone to out threat the tanks if their threat is not reduced by half when the tank's threat is.
Besides the breath mechanics, Chromaggus will also put different afflictions on people in the raid that will ignore LoS. There are 5 possible afflictions that he will cast on different players, listed below.
- Brood Affliction: Black is a curse that increases Fire damage taken by 100%.
- Brood Affliction: Blue is a magic effect that burns 50 Mana per second, increases cast time by 50%, and reduces movement speed by 30%.
- Brood Affliction: Bronze will periodically stun the player for 4 seconds. This can only be removed by Hourglass Sand, which is a drop from other enemies in the instance. These should be used sparingly by tanks and healers.
- Brood Affliction: Green is a poison that deals a small DoT and reduces healing taken by 50%.
- Brood Affliction: Red is a disease that deals a small DoT, and will heal Chromaggus if the afflicted person dies while affected.
With the exception of the Bronze affliction, all of these should be removed as soon as possible, either through dispels, curse removals, Restorative Potions, or Powerful Anti-Venoms. If a player at any point is afflicted by all 5 afflictions at once, they turn into a Chromatic Drakonid and will most likely kill the raid.
The last mechanic to watch for is Chromaggus's Frenzy. He will sometimes become frenzied, and this just needs to be removed by a Hunter using Tranquilizing Shot. Tank damage is high on this fight, and failure to remove a frenzy can easily lead to a tank dying.
- The breaths are all important, but the most important one to watch out for is Time Lapse. Read above about how this changes the fight.
- The afflictions listed above all need to be removed as soon as possible, with the exception of the Bronze affliction.
- Frenzy needs to be removed by Hunters using Tranquilizing Shot.
Loot from Chromaggus
Tier 2 Loot
|Pauldrons of Transcendence||Shoulder||Priest|
|Pauldrons of Wrath||Shoulder||Warrior|
|Epaulets of Ten Storms||Shoulder||Shaman|
|Ashjre'thul, Crossbow of Smiting||Crossbow|
|Chromatically Tempered Sword||One-Handed Sword|
|Claw of Chromaggus||Dagger|
|Elementium Reinforced Bulwark||Shield|
|Elementium Threaded Cloak||Back|
|Girdle of the Fallen Crusader||Waist|
|Primalist's Linked Waistguard||Waist|
|Taut Dragonhide Gloves||Gloves|
|Taut Dragonhide Shoulderpads||Shoulder|
- 10 Feb. 2020: Guide added.
- WoW Classic "Not a Bug" List Update: February 19th
- UI API Change for UnitHealth
- Diablo Animated Series to Be Rendered in Anime Style
- Warsong Gulch Exit Portals to Be Removed
- Blackwing Lair Cleared in Under an Hour, World First Videos
- Blackwing Lair Raid in WoW Classic (Official Preview)
- WoW Classic Phase 3 Guides: Blackwing Lair & Darkmoon Faire
- Darkmoon Faire Dissapearance Bug Resolved
- Blocked Attacks
- Pet Aggro vs Hunter Aggro
- 3rd Pet
- Hunter Epic (Classic)
- petmyhornplz - Phase 3 Wishlist
- [A][US][Bloodsail Buccaneers]Acies | WoW Classic | T/Th | 8:30 PM-11:30 PM ET |LFM
- [A][US][Benediction] Torch | WoW Classic | Semi-Hardcore | Tues/Thurs/Sun 7:30-10:30pm EST
- [A][US][Azuresong] Dragon Keeper, Semicausal, Open Recruitment, 6pm-8pm PST raiding