Classic Feral Druid Melee DPS Guide
Welcome to our Feral Druid Melee DPS guide for WoW Classic, tailored for PvE content. Here, you will learn how all you need to know to play the Druid class as Feral Melee DPS. Click the links #below to navigate the guide or read this page for a short introduction.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Feral DPS Druid guide.
Druids are most often described as, "the jack of all trades, but master of none." This is quite accurate since Druids are the only class in the game capable of fulling all four roles: tank, healer, ranged DPS, and melee DPS. However, every Druid specialization and build is considered sub-par for PvE and is outclassed by other classes that share the role.
Feral Druids are versatile melee DPS that bring strong utility and an engaging rotation. While you will not be able to use bleeds in a raid due to the debuff limit, you will be shifting in and out of cat form every other global to generate more Energy, which can be quite challenging due to the precise timing required. You also bring an in-combat resurrection from Rebirth, Innervate, and some useful crowd control abilities. Feral is the only spec in the game that has two unique builds and roles built into one talent tree, meaning as a Feral DPS you have the unique ability to bring useful damage while also being a viable off-tank option in Dire Bear Form. You also bring a unique buff with Leader of the Pack, which is quite valuable to other melee. However, as a warning, most raids will only bring 1 Feral Druid if at all, making finding a raid spot potentially challenging.
In PvP, Feral Druids have a high skill ceiling due to the tons of different options for how to deal with any potential situation. You have multiple forms, crowd control spells, disengage tools, and healing spells to pick from during a fight, which can be daunting if you are picking it up for the first time. However, if you invest the time, Druids are incredibly rewarding and offer you the ability to adapt to any situation or foe.
Feral Druid in the Season of Mastery
Although the Season of Mastery brings with it a number of changes to how you may experience the content of WoW Classic, these tweaks do not include any adjustments to how you play Feral Druid. As such, this guide will cover all you need to know regardless of which version of Classic you wish to play.
However, due to certain pieces of content from later Phases now being available at an earlier date, gearing recommendations for Feral Druid will be different. Because of this, we have created additional pages detailing your best in slot items for both pre-raid gear and the current raids available.
Feral Druid Strengths
- Incredibly versatile;
- Strong utility;
- Can off-tank and DPS with one build at a reasonable level;
- Fastest spec in the game.
Feral Druid Weaknesses
- Mid to low tier damage;
- Challenging rotation to do optimally;
- Competes with other, better DPS specs for gear.
Best Races for Feral Druids
Unlike other classes, Druids do not have a choice when it comes to race. If you want to go Alliance, you must be Night Elf. If you want to go Horde, you must be Tauren. Thus, your only choice is which faction do you want to choose, which you should make based on your guild, friends, or any other number of reasons.
- Nature Resistance increases your Nature Resistance by 10.
- Quickness increases your Dodge Chance by 1%.
- Shadowmeld is an ability that allows you to become stealthed while standing still when used, on a 10-second cooldown. This cannot be used in combat.
- Wisp Spirit causes you to transform into a wisp upon death, increasing your movement speed by 50% while dead.
- Cultivation increases your Herbalism skill by 15.
- Endurance increases your total health by 5%.
- Nature Resistance increases your Nature Resistance by 10.
- War Stomp is a 2-minute cooldown that stuns up to 5 enemies within 8 yards for 2 seconds, with a 0.5 second cast time.
Best Professions for Feral Druids
The best profession to have as a Feral is Engineering. It provides powerful items that you can use in both PvE and PvP content to either deal damage or help you get out of a tough spot.
Leatherworking is also a great choice for Feral Druids. The Devilsaur set is a BiS crafted set that you can make for when you are max level and is very strong throughout the first raid tier. You can also craft Wolfshead Helm which is BiS all through WoW Classic for Feral.
While Engineering and Leatherworking are great professions, probably the more important thing to think about is how you plan to make gold. Gold is incredibly important in WoW Classic for a number of reasons and will be quite hard to come by especially at the start. Check out the Druid Goldmaking section for more information on other potential professions for making gold.
- 02 Dec. 2020 (enchants page): Updated with Phase 6 Naxxramas Enchants.
- 02 Dec. 2020 (gear page): Updated for Phase 6.
- 06 Aug. 2020 (gear page): Reworked for Phase 5 BiS with alternatives.
- 26 Jul. 2020 (gear page): Updated with Idols.
- 18 May 2020 (enchants page): Updated with current World Buffs as of Phase 4.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (gear page): Updated with Zul'Gurub gear.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (enchants page): Updated with Zul'Gurub enchants.
- 13 Mar. 2020 (gear page): Updated with Arathi Basin gear.
- 23 Feb. 2020 (gear page): Updated for P3.
- 10 Dec. 2019 (gear page): Added note on PvP BiS.
- 09 Nov. 2019 (gear page): Updated with Raid BiS list.
- 22 Oct. 2019 (gear page): Updated Pre-Raid BiS to include Dire Maul.
- 29 Sep. 2019 (stats page): Updated explanation of stats.
- 15 Jul. 2019 (this page): Page added.
- 15 Jul. 2019 (enchants page): Page added.
- 15 Jul. 2019 (gear page): Page added.
- 15 Jul. 2019 (stats page): Page added.
- 15 Jul. 2019 (rotation page): Page added.
- 15 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Page added.
- 15 Jul. 2019 (spells page): Page added.
- 13 Mar. 2019 (enchants page): Added Phase 3 enchants.
More Classic Druid Guides
More Classic Guides from Other Classes
Classic Dungeon Guides
Classic Reputation Guides
- Chinese Realm "Region Unavailable" Messages Appeared for EU Players
- Changes to Death Knight Character Creation Restrictions Coming
- Free Character Transfers in Wrath Classic: March 3rd
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: March 1st
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 24th
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 21st
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 16th
- Season of Mastery Realms Closing This Week, Transfers Open