Garr Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot (Updated for the Season of Mastery)
Garr is the fourth boss you will encounter in Molten Core, and can be found at the back of the large, main area in the middle of the raid, just past Gehennas. He is a large rock elemental that runs around with many smaller rock elementals.
After you kill him, you will find the next two bosses, Baron Geddon and Shazzrah just through the tunnel next to Garr.
Garr Summary by Role
- You will need as many tanks as there are uncontrolled adds, but tanks can hold two adds if needed. Even just a DPS warrior who equips a shield is perfectly capable of holding an add.
- Keep the boss in the center, then have the tanks spread a bit with their adds. Remember that the add should never be in melee or close to other players when it dies.
- Your main tanks should prioritize holding the first kill targets along with Garr. They can help pick up other adds that were previously banished once their target dies.
- There are lots of tanks, so make sure you are in range of all of them. Ideally assign at least one healer per tank.
- Stay spread to minimize the knockbacks and damage done by the Magmakin
- All adds, except for one which your raid will designate to keep alive, must be dead before Garr reaches 50% HP where they become immune to crowd controlling effects.
- No one besides the tank should ever be next to an add as it dies.
- Having multiple Warlocks for Banish is very important.
- Stay spread to minimize the knock backs and damage done by the Magmakin
General Tips for Garr
- Warlocks are extremely important here for Banish.
- Control is key, so make sure your healers are closely watching tanks. A single tank death can mean a loose add or boss, which can result in a wipe.
- Similar to the above point, co-ordination is crucial. Have a set kill order for adds and make sure every Warlock and Tank know exactly what they will be doing.
Season of Mastery Strategy for Garr
Garr is a simple fight mechanically, but is quite intensive for your healers and tanks. Because of the large number of adds, your tanks will be busy holding them all, and will be taking lots of damage. You should make sure at least one healer is watching each tank that is actively holding an add.
The major changes in the Season of Mastery version of this encounter are the addition of Magmakins which spawn occasionally and fixate a random member of the raid. They move extremely fast and are not able to be crowd controlled; upon reaching their target they explode in a small radius around their target knocking layers back and dealing damage. The only other major change is how Garr interacts with his Firesworn adds. If Garr is damaged below 50% HP all of the Firesworn will become immune to all crowd control but if you kill all of the Firesworn Garr will enrage. It is recommended to kill all but one Firesworn to minimize their impact on the raid without causing Garr to enrage.
The hardest part of the fight is managing adds. There are two ways to hold the adds safely: tanking them or banishing them.
You should mark all of the adds at the start of the fight, assigning one Warlock or one tank per marked add. Warlocks can use Banish to control an add, which is the most ideal way to keep the adds under control. Any adds that are not being banished will need to be held by tanks, preferably with one add per tank.
- Eruption is the AoE explosion that the adds will do when they are killed.
Loot from Garr
Below is a list of the loot available from this boss, but you can see a full loot list from the raid on our Molten Core Loot page.
Tier 1 Loot
|Circlet of Prophecy||60||Helm||Priest|
|Helm of Might||60||Helm||Warrior|
|Aged Core Leather Gloves||60||Hands|
|Deep Earth Spaulders||60||Shoulder|
|Fire Runed Grimoire||60||Off-hand|
|Magma Tempered Boots||60||Feet|
|Mana Igniting Cord||60||Waist|
|Obsidian Edged Blade||60||Weapon|
|Quick Strike Ring||60||Finger|
|Talisman of Ephemeral Power||60||Trinket|
|Bindings of the Windseeker (Right)||N/A||Legendary Reagent|
- 13 Nov. 2021: Updated with Season of Mastery changes.
- 07 Nov. 2019: Page added.
- Changes to Death Knight Character Creation Restrictions Coming
- Free Character Transfers in Wrath Classic: March 3rd
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: March 1st
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 24th
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 21st
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 16th
- Season of Mastery Realms Closing This Week, Transfers Open
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 9th