Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
L0rinda

hearthstone Journey to Un'Goro Officially Revealed as Next Expansion

29 posts in this topic

6jHTqnL.jpg

Blizzard have released a short video revealing that, as speculated, the next expansion will be Journey to Un'goro. Four cards from the next set were shown in the reveal video.

The expansion will be released in early April, and will contain 135 cards. It is set in Un'Goro, an area filled with dinosaurs, with a volcano at the heart of the region. The launch of the set will trigger the start of The Year of the Mammoth.

5tPRS3s.png

Volcano, adding to the flavour of the set, was the first card to be revealed. It is similar to Elemental Destruction, but not as reliable. While on the subject of Elementals, the word Elemental is going to be used as a tribal name. Many cards will be tagged as Elemental, which presumably will allow for cards that interact with them to be printed, along the same lines as Beast has currently.

Cx4K6Hd.png

The image above only tells half of the story. After Pyros dies as a 6/6, it returns back to hand yet again as a 10/10 that costs 10! This mechanic might imply that there is a focus on value as opposed to tempo, although of course one card is a meaningless sample size! There could also be a Quest to play a certain number of Elemental cards in a game, although it seems unlikely that it would be a Mage Quest.

FF1h1db.png

Adapt is a new keyword, along the lines of discover. There are ten different powers to choose from. Taunt, Windfury, Divine Shield, Cannot be targeted, +3 Attack, Deathrattle: Summon two 1/1 Plants are the six shown in the video. We've also been warned that plants are not just plants, so we can only speculate on what a 1/1 Plant might do.

r8KgjwM.png

One of the more interesting features of the new expansion is the Quest mechanic. Quests start in your opening hand and have a big reward for completion. It is displayed in the same place as Secrets, however both players can see the Quest, and how close it is to being completed.

QTQLmqh.png

As you can see, the rewards are very powerful

More reveals will be made on March 17th. Until then, we will just have to speculate as to what else lies in Un'Goro.

Unless there's some elemental synergy or quest cards for mage I don't see Pyros as being any good. It gives overpriced vanilla mobs with the only value being you have an overpriced vanilla mob to cast later in the game. There needs to be a new ability on the 10/10 or prices need to be tweaked downward, or something.

Worlds worst kept secret. I'm really curious to see what all the set has. I know they want to move toward a control/value game, but with removal of some critical pieces at building value (Reno, Bran, Justicar...) they have some big shoes to fill back in. Let alone the removal of Azure, Sylvanas, and Rag. It will be REALLY interesting to see how the meta changes, because there is no doubt a big change is coming from this.

Ragers will be part of Elemental tribe. This could mean synergy, which could mean that Ragers will be better. Stronger Ragers = happiness, yay! 

20 minutes ago, Migol said:

Unless there's some elemental synergy or quest cards for mage I don't see Pyros as being any good. It gives overpriced vanilla mobs with the only value being you have an overpriced vanilla mob to cast later in the game. There needs to be a new ability on the 10/10 or prices need to be tweaked downward, or something.

It doesn't seem that powerful right now, but I think it is good enough to be played in Reno mages, especially in minion or value reno mages. It offers value in the early-game, mid-game and late-game, it replaces itself and the only disadvantage of running this card is that it's a bad topdeck, but this issues fixes itself within 3 turns. 

meh, killer whales and dinosaurs. doesn't feel like Warcraft too me. Too goofy for my taste. 

i have full confidence in Blizzard in creating new, great game mechanics though. 

Edited by greatCraft

1 hour ago, positiv2 said:

It doesn't seem that powerful right now, but I think it is good enough to be played in Reno mages, especially in minion or value reno mages. It offers value in the early-game, mid-game and late-game, it replaces itself and the only disadvantage of running this card is that it's a bad topdeck, but this issues fixes itself within 3 turns. 

Yes, I think it'd be played in every Reno Mage. Getting the right balance between contesting the early board against aggro and having enough value for slower matchups is crucial. This card helps with both. Just a question of whether Mage gets anything to replace Reno with. Looks like Priest will although summoning 7 deathrattle minions would be too slow work in an aggro meta.

I am the most excited to hear about the new tribe and looking forward to seeing elemental synergy cards. Maybe even cards like Ice Rager will find some real play filling the role of  3 mana drop

Yet I am worried that shamans will benefit too much. Fire Elemental , Earth Elemental , Al'Akir the Windlord are not bad cards already. I don't want more shamanstone...

Edited by Strongpoint

N'zoth priest time! With fourty health no combo can burst me down! 

Seriously though warlock along with combo stopped priest, and without Reno or handlock as well as no anyfin or freeze mage, priest might finally reign supreme. 

*Jade idol is not a card* 

I am a bit disappointed that the trademarked "Return of the Lich King" was not the next hearthstone expac. I'm really hoping it is the "next" next one and we get a DK class finally. Now i'm just worried that it may in fact be the next wow expac. (please no, please please no)

2 hours ago, demonardvark said:

I am a bit disappointed that the trademarked "Return of the Lich King" was not the next hearthstone expac. I'm really hoping it is the "next" next one and we get a DK class finally. Now i'm just worried that it may in fact be the next wow expac. (please no, please please no)

I think chance of getting a new class is somewhere around 0.01%. They will not rework interface and add a lot of new cards to existing sets without a very good reason. 

Undead themed expansion and undead tribal tag would be... niiiice.

BTW, I am starting to see the reason of removing conceal. It looks rather broken with adapt that brings +attack or poison or windfury. 

Edited by Strongpoint
2 people like this

51 minutes ago, Strongpoint said:

I think chance of getting a new class is somewhere around 0.01%. They will not rework interface and add a lot of new cards to existing sets without a very good reason. 

Undead themed expansion and undead tribal tag would be... niiiice.

BTW, I am starting to see the reason of removing conceal. It looks rather broken with adapt that brings +attack or poison or windfury. 

All of this... DK will probably never enter hearthstone. You'd need almost an entire expansion of cards just to get even close to enough cards to make an interesting deck or two. So maybe you'll get what you want for 50+ dollars (which I know is not at all what anyone wants).

Conceal needed to go. It was already strong and this just makes it even more crazy. They already removed the perma-stealth from master of disguise. Giving stealth to something that does not have it is just a brutally strong buff coming from hand.

1 hour ago, Strongpoint said:

54 minutes ago, Laragon said:

All of this... DK will probably never enter hearthstone.

I can dream T_T

2 people like this

Interesting set so far and the new mechanics look cool.  Of course I said the same thing about MSG and that turned out to be a train wreck, so only time will tell.

Is it just me or why the cards seem to be so OP. Seems like this card set is going to own especially Karazhan card sets

Well, I really looking forward to the new Quest-mechanic...seems pretty sweet to built around.

By the way...I thought about something: There will be one Quest-Card for every class, along with the "normal"  legendary minion for each class (source: Brian Kibler). Since these Quest-cards seem so important (at first glance) I will guess this: Blizzard will give them out for finishing the Un'goro-Adventure, for free.

Yai! (I guess)

32 minutes ago, demonardvark said:

I can dream T_T

TAC Podcast talked about this based on a card in Shadowverse that replaces your hero, hand and deck. It would be like a cross between Jaraxxus and Renounce Darkness. 

If they don't do it like this I agree, they won't do it.

2 minutes ago, jacksw said:

Is it just me or why the cards seem to be so OP. Seems like this card set is going to own especially Karazhan card sets

It is just you. I don't think cards revealed are OP without further support.  Volcano is not better than elemental destruction.  

Adapting beast is an OK card especially because it is on curve to be copied by Menagerie Warden (speaking of Karazhan cards) but I see nothing insane. I am more worried about adapting 1 or 2 drops and hope none exists (this is a very slim hope) 

The new quest is very interesting and if new sets offers enough good deathrattles we will see a lot of N'zoth priests but playing this card means that you sacrafice both early tempo AND a card making you very vulnerable in an early game. And "better reno" may look great but neither 8\8 taunt nor 40 health will help you against a full board of huge jade golems. Oh, and  Alexstrasza is an easy tech card to counter this strategy in control matches.

1 hour ago, Bigtimedwarfer said:

TAC Podcast talked about this based on a card in Shadowverse that replaces your hero, hand and deck. It would be like a cross between Jaraxxus and Renounce Darkness. 

If they don't do it like this I agree, they won't do it.

actually that would be an interesting (yet I realize very hard mechanic) a way to kill your current hero and rezz them as a DK mid battle. something akin to the upgraded hero powers. I mean all DK's are basically zombies, so I would be down with something like that instead of a formal hero :)

death knight garrosh ftw

Volcano is not better than elemental destruction.  

But don't forget that Elemental Destruction will be gone from standard once Un'Goro goes live.

The new quest is very interesting and if new sets offers enough good deathrattles we will see a lot of N'zoth priests but playing this card means that you sacrafice both early tempo AND a card making you very vulnerable in an early game.

I mean, it costs one mana. Priests are unlikely to be dropping stuff on board on turn 1. Draw would be an issue, unless priests will be given good draws, but one card should not be a major problem.

1 person likes this

53 minutes ago, positiv2 said:

But don't forget that Elemental Destruction will be gone from standard once Un'Goro goes live.

Totally missed this too. That's the hardest part of evaluating these cards (same we had with Old Gods). I even forget how much Blackrock Mountain falling out will really hurt (Emperor ThaurissanFlamewakerBlackwing Corruptor)... Dragon decks are taking a sizable drop, so we will need some huge replacements or else dragons as a whole won't be in standard.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Laragon said:

Totally missed this too. That's the hardest part of evaluating these cards (same we had with Old Gods). I even forget how much Blackrock Mountain falling out will really hurt (Emperor ThaurissanFlamewakerBlackwing Corruptor)... Dragon decks are taking a sizable drop, so we will need some huge replacements or else dragons as a whole won't be in standard.

I doubt Dragons will be a thing in the next standard. Blizzard will not only need to replace the old Dragons with new ones, the cardpool will also miss some Dragon-synergie-card like Blackwing Corruptor or  Blackwing Technician. This might be a little much to add besides the new type "Elemental".

20 hours ago, Strongpoint said:

Volcano is not better than elemental destruction.  

I dont know...It seems it might be. I would rather play a higher cost card (aka "Volcano") and got more mana next turn, than playing a cheap massremoval and got very low mana the next turn.

And then "Volcano" seems more flexible then other shaman-removal, since you can use it to remove very big minions. That makes this card (at least in my opinion) pretty decent, when you are behind (and this is always something nice :) ). Imagine your enemy has 2 Mountain Giant and you got a random 1/1. Trading your 1/1 and firing of your "Volcano" seems pretty nice in this kind of situations (*takes of his pink glasses*)

...the strang thing is only, that "Volcano" synergizes very badly with Wrath of Air Totem...

5 minutes ago, Taan said:

I dont know...It seems it might be. I would rather play a higher cost card (aka "Volcano") and got more mana next turn, than playing a cheap massremoval and got very low mana the next turn.

Elemental Destruction is rarely played in a deck that does not run Lava Shock or Eternal Sentinel. These 2 cards make Elemental Destruction cost only 3 mana, whereas Volcano will be a 5-cost card, that is not even as powerful as the Elemental Destruction (unless you want to deal with solo Ragnaros the Firelord or Deathwing, but then again, Hex).

16 minutes ago, positiv2 said:

Elemental Destruction is rarely played in a deck that does not run Lava Shock or Eternal Sentinel. These 2 cards make Elemental Destruction cost only 3 mana, whereas Volcano will be a 5-cost card, that is not even as powerful as the Elemental Destruction (unless you want to deal with solo Ragnaros the Firelord or Deathwing, but then again, Hex).

Okay good point, but thats not entirely true. You need to have two mana available in your next turn to play  Lava Shock or Eternal Sentinel...so the coin in turn 4 or turn 5. Anyyyyways, "Volcano" might stand out at flexibility. Being able to clear big stuff or small stuff, as long as there defense sums up to 15 or lower...I don't say the card is incredibly good, but it might see some play in control(ish) decks.

9 hours ago, Taan said:

I doubt Dragons will be a thing in the next standard. Blizzard will not only need to replace the old Dragons with new ones, the cardpool will also miss some Dragon-synergie-card like Blackwing Corruptor or  Blackwing Technician. This might be a little much to add besides the new type "Elemental".

I think some slow value decks with  Drakonid Operative+Netherspite Historian+few large dragons may emerge. After all with thiner pool of dragons improves your chance to pull an OP or a large dragon.