WoW Classic Dagger Rogue Leveling Talent Build from 1 to 60
Dagger Rogue Level by Level Rotation, Talents, and Trainer Skills
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talent Tree for Leveling up as a Dagger Rogue
Your first talent unlocks at Level 10.
- Levels 10 & 11 — 2 points in Improved Sinister Strike
- Levels 12 to 14 — 3 points in Improved Gouge
- Levels 15 to 19 — 5 points in Opportunity
Improved Sinister Strike is a very powerful talent that also helps reduce the Energy cost of Sinister Strike from 45 to 40 (when you have 2 points in the talent). Improved Gouge increases your Gouge duration from 4 seconds to 5.5, which is fantastic when you want to stun the target and bandage yourself or pool energy while maintaining a healthy life amount. Opportunity is a major damage increase for Dagger Rogue since you will be opening on targets with Ambush and trying to Backstab as much as you can.
- Levels 20 to 22 — 3 points in Improved Backstab
- Levels 23 to 27 — 5 points in Precision
- Levels 28 & 29 — 2 points in Improved Sprint
Improved Backstab buffs your main combo point generator (except when solo questing where you are unable to get behind the target). Precision is a staple in nearly all Rogue builds since Hit is one of your strongest stats. Improved Sprint makes your Sprint remove all movement impairing effects when it has 2 points in the talent. This can be very helpful when questing, especially when you are playing on a PvP server and have to deal with the other faction.
- Levels 30 to 34 — 5 points in Dual Wield Specialization
- Levels 35 to 39 — 5 points in Dagger Specialization
Dual Wield Specialization is a staple in nearly all Rogue builds since your white damage from Auto Attacks is very strong and makes up a large chunk of your damage. Dagger Specialization synergizes well with Lethality, which you will be picking up later.
- Level 40 — 1 point in Blade Flurry
- Levels 41 & 42 — 2 points in Weapon Expertise
- Levels 43 & 44 — 2 points in Endurance
- Levels 45 — 1 point in Adrenaline Rush
- Levels 46 to 49 — 4 points in Malice
Blade Flurry is a major cooldown that allows you to AoE and is your only means of AoE as a Rogue. Weapon Expertise is a staple in both the Sword and Dagger builds for Rogue since Weapon Skill is very important for hitting targets consistently. Endurance is a strong talent but also a means to unlock the talent Adrenaline Rush. Adrenaline Rush increases your energy generation rate from 20 to 40 energy every 2 seconds. This is your strongest DPS cooldown and something that you want to utilize with Blade Flurry and multiple mobs for maximum damage.
- Level 50 — 1 point in Malice
- Levels 51 to 53 — 3 points in Improved Slice and Dice
- Levels 54 & 55 — 2 points in Murder
- Levels 56 to 60 — 5 points in Lethality
We will start by finishing up Malice by putting 1 point into it. Improved Slice and Dice significantly increases the duration of Slice and Dice, which is a very strong buff that you will try to maintain as much as possible. Murder is a strong talent but also a means to unlock Lethality. You will finish out the tree by putting the rest of your points into Lethality, since it is incredibly powerful.
Rotation for Leveling up as a Dagger Rogue
The main difference in the Dagger Rotation is the fact that Backstab and Ambush require a Dagger, meaning you have access to these 2 abilities.
Rotation for Leveling up as a Dagger Rogue
You start with Sinister Strike, Eviscerate, and Throw, with the ability to buy Stealth from your class trainer when you get 10 copper (which you can choose to wait with until Level 4).
- Maintain the Slice and Dice buff.
- Use Eviscerate at 5 combo points.
- Use Ambush to initiate combat whenever possible and you are stealthed.
- Use Backstab to initiate combat and to build combo points.
- Use Gouge whenever you can in order to minimize the damage that you will take. You can pool Energy, use Gouge, then go behind your target to Backstab them.
- Use Vanish if your threat is too high and you are in danger of pulling aggro.
- Use Sinister Strike to build combo points if you cannot get behind your target.
For the cooldowns Blade Flurry and Adrenaline Rush, use them as often as possible and, if you can, try to gain as much benefit from the cleave effect of Blade Flurry by pulling an extra mob.
Multi-Target Dagger Rogue Rotation
As a Rogue, you have limited AoE. Your 2 ways to do AoE are either the talent Blade Flurry or the explosives from the Engineering skill.
Summary of Trainer Skills for Dagger Rogue
- At Level 4, buy Backstab and Stealth, which pair well together, since Stealth allows you to open up on aggressive mobs using Backstab.
- At Level 6, buy Rank 2 Sinister Strike, and Gouge, which is your first CC ability and is great when paired with Backstab.
- At Level 8, buy Evasion and Rank 2 Eviscerate. Evasion is a great emergency survivability cooldown.
- At Level 10, buy Slice and Dice, Sprint, and Sap. Slice and Dice is used early in leveling with 1 combo point since mobs will not survive long enough to warrant more combo points used. This changes if you are doing a dungeon or a boss. Since you do not have a mount before Level 40, Sprint is a great mobility cooldown that cuts down on your travel time. Sap is a strong CC ability that allows you to safetly pull Humanoids that are grouped together.
- At Level 12, buy Rank 2 Backstab. Also, buy Parry and Kick
- At Level 14, buy Rank 3 Sinister Strike.
- At Level 16, buy Rank 3 Eviscerate and Feint.
- At Level 18, buy Rank 1 Ambush.
- At Level 20, buy Rank 2 Stealth, Rank 3 Backstab and Crippling Poison. Make sure you purchase your Instant Poison as well.
- At Level 22, buy Rank 4 Sinister Strike. If you have money to spare, also buy Distract and Vanish.
- At Level 24, buy Rank 4 Eviscerate.
- At Level 26, buy Rank 2 Ambush, Cheap Shot. If you have extra money, then buy Rank 2 Kick.
- At Level 28, buy Rank 4 Backstab and Rank 2 Instant Poison.
- At Level 30, buy Rank 5 Sinister Strike, Deadly Poison and, if you are on a PvP server, it is recommended that you buy Kidney Shot.
- At Level 32, buy Rank 5 Eviscerate. If you have the money, then buy Wound Poison.
- At Level 34, buy Rank 3 Ambush, Rank 2 Sprint, Blinding Powder, and Blind.
- At Level 36, buy Rank 5 Backstab and Rank 2 Instant Poison.
- At Level 38, buy Rank 6 Sinister Strike and Rank 2 Deadly Poison.
- At Level 40, buy Rank 6 Eviscerate. If you have extra money, then buy Rank 2 Feint, Rank 2 Wound Poison, and Rank 3 Stealth for the decreased movement speed penalty.
- At Level 42, buy Rank 7 Backstab, Rank 4 Ambush, Rank 2 Vanish, and Rank 3 Kick if you have the extra money for either ability. The last two are not required as upgrades.
- At Level 44, buy Rank 6 Backstab and Rank 4 Instant Poison.
- At Level 46, buy Rank 7 Sinister Strike and Rank 3 Deadly Poison.
- At Level 48, buy Rank 7 Eviscerate. If you have extra gold, then buy Rank 3 Wound Poison.
- At Level 50, buy Rank 5 Ambush, Rank 2 Crippling Poison, and, if you bought Kidney Shot, buy the Rank 2 version now.
- At Level 52, buy Rank 5 Instant Poison.
- At Level 54, buy Rank 8 Sinister Strike and Rank 4 Deadly Poison.
- At Level 56, buy Rank 8 Eviscerate and Rank 4 Wound Poison.
- At Level 58, buy Rank 6 Ambush, Rank 3 Sprint, and, if you have extra gold, buy Rank 4 Kick.
- At Level 60, buy Rank 8 Backstab, Rank 6 Instant Poison, and Rank 4 Stealth.
Using abilities like Gouge, Cheap Shot, and Kidney Shot is useful on mobs as well as players. It is highly recommended that you buy these abilities if you are on a PvP server.
Rogue Quests and Weapons
While leveling, you will want to always be on the lookout for ranged upgrades. Most of your damage will dome from Auto Attacks and certain abilities will scale off of your weapon damage, meaning a weapon upgrade will increase your kill speed by substantially more than any other upgrade. Rogues also get a huge power spike when they complete their level 20 class quest and get access to Poisons and Thistle Tea, which will be very strong for leveling. Below are links to our guides on Weapons and Class Quests for Rogues.
How to advance as a Rogue at Level 60
Well done on hitting maximum level in WoW Classic! Now that leveling is over, you can learn more about level 60 gameplay by reading our DPS Rogue Guide, which covers every facet of gameplay at 60 in detail.
The best individual pages to read through are as follows.
- The DPS Rogue Talent builds guide has the best builds for Level 60 covered. We propose builds for all specializations, with a focus on Combat for raiding.
- Our PvP Rogue guide is where you can find the best PvP builds for Rogue.
- Goldmaking Guide for Rogues is a page with details on where / how to farm gold quickly as a Rogue when you are Level 60.
- The DPS Rogue Rotation guide is where you can read on how to optimize your PvE damage and how to prioritize your abilities.
- DPS Rogue Stats guide contains detailed information on all Rogue stats, including a list of their priority for damage dealing.
- Our Gear guide for DPS Rogues lists all the optimal pieces of gear that you will want to farm at Level 60, in order to optimize your damage with a pre-BiS list for those trying to gear up for raiding.
- 05 Nov. 2019: Typo fixes in the rotation.
- 23 Oct. 2019: Added further notes on Improved Sprint.
- 02 Oct. 2019: Page added.
- WoW Classic Hotfixes: August 5th
- EU Guilds Down C'thun in Under an Hour, 1.5 for Full Clear, Progress EU No.1
- Frost Wands Not Working on Viscidus?
- Activision Blizzard CFO Optimistic About Diablo Immortal
- Blizzard Congratulates First Few Scarab Lords in the EU Region
- War on Pagle Lasted Longer Than Expected
- Gong and Scarab Lord Shenanigans During the 10 Hour War
- ONSLAUGHT Down C'Thun in 38 Minutes, US First
- [Q]Opener Trinket Swap
- Looking for real help
- Smite Priest DPS Guide
- A casual, social and troll free community for players of all levels!
- [Scholomance SOLO] Warlock, World First ?
- What happened to the UI community?
- Shaman Tank Guide - Serious Look at Shaman Tanking in World of Warcraft