WoW Classic Arcane Mage Leveling Talent Build from 1 to 60
On this page, you will find our Level by Level Arcane Mage leveling guide for WoW Classic. Make sure to use the slider to make the guide adapt to your level. Arcane is a versatile tree, and by going deep into it you will be able to use all kinds of spells with a good degree of effectiveness. The trade-off is that most of your damage potential will only be realized once you obtain Arcane Power and start putting points into the other trees. You will be able to deal good AoE damage with Arcane Explosion, but because of its limited range and lack of slowing capabilities, doing so will put your life at considerable risk (especially when compared with the AoE Grinding Frost Mage).
Make sure to also browse our Frost Single Target and Fire Mage Single Target playstyle leveling guides. Finally, for more general leveling information, please refer to our Mage leveling guide.
If you were looking for TBC Classic advice, please refer to our TBC Classic Arcane Mage leveling guide.
Single Target Arcane Mage Level by Level Rotation, Talents and Trainer Skills
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talent Tree for leveling up as an Arcane Mage
Your first talent unlocks at Level 10.
Your talents should roughly look like this, but keep in mind there are plenty of individual points that can be swapped around based on preference. For example, feel free to place a point into Cold Snap if you wish, we skip it due to the low impact of the talent in a build without Ice Block and Ice Barrier.
- Levels 10 & 11 — 2 points in Arcane Focus
- Levels 12 to 14 — 3 points in Improved Arcane Missiles
- Levels 15 & 16 — 2 points in Wand Specialization
- Levels 17 & 18 — 2 points in Improved Arcane Missiles
- Level 19 — 1 point in Arcane Concentration
Begin by getting two points into Arcane Focus, so that your arcane spells are not often resisted against similar level enemies. Afterwards, maximize Improved Arcane Missiles and Wand Specialization, which will allow you to cast Arcane Missiles uninterrupted when enemies get close and finish them off with your Wand while regenerating Mana. Finally, get started on Arcane Concentration.
- Level 20 — 1 point in Arcane Resilience
- Levels 21 to 23 — 3 points in Improved Arcane Explosion
- Levels 24 to 27 — 4 points in Arcane Concentration
- Levels 28 & 29 — 2 points in Arcane Meditation
Grab Arcane Resilience for a survivability boost, maximize Improved Arcane Explosion to get your area of effect damage capabilities rolling and finish Arcane Concentration / start Arcane Meditation to improve your Mana management.
- Level 30 — 1 point in Presence of Mind
- Level 31 — 1 point in Arcane Meditation
- Levels 32 to 34 — 3 points in Arcane Mind
- Levels 35 to 37 — 3 points in Arcane Instability
- Levels 38 & 39 — 2 points in Arcane Mind
Presence of Mind will provide you with a versatile cooldown that makes your next spell instant cast. You can use with for burst, with Fireball, or for utility, with Polymorph, for example. Proceed by putting the final point into Arcane Meditation and grabbing both Arcane Mind and Arcane Instability to increase your Mana and damage potential, respectively.
- Level 40 — 1 point in Arcane Power
- Levels 41 & 42 — 2 points in Elemental Precision
- Levels 43 to 47 — 5 points in Improved Frostbolt
- Levels 48 & 49 — 2 points in Ice Shards
Arcane Power will be your main DPS cooldown, allowing you to increase your damage (and Mana costs) significantly for a short period. Elemental Precision will be your first non-Arcane talent and grants you a damage boost with Frostbolt, which you will improve further with Improved Frostbolt and Ice Shards.
- Level 50 — 1 point in Ice Shards
- Levels 51 to 53 — 3 points in Piercing Ice
- Levels 54 & 55 — 2 points in Ice Shards
- Levels 56 to 58 — 3 points in Frost Channeling
- Level 59 — 1 point in Arctic Reach
- Level 60 — 1 point in Elemental Precision
Begin by accumulating even more Frost damage with Ice Shards and Piercing Ice, followed by Frost Mana efficiency through Frost Channeling. Finish your build by using one point into Arctic Reach, and maximize Elemental Precision just in time for raiding!
Rotation for leveling up as an Arcane Mage
- Cast Arcane Intellect and Frost Armor if you miss their buffs.
- Cast Arcane Intellect and Ice Armor if you miss their buffs.
- Cast Arcane Intellect and Mage Armor if you miss their buffs.
- Cast Fireball as your main attack.
- Cast Fireball or Frostbolt (depending on which rank you have gotten more recently) as your main attack. Arcane Missiles is also a good option, especially if you are being hit, as it will not be interrupted once you maximize Improved Arcane Missiles. Frostbolt will be the preferred spell once you finish maximizing Improved Frostbolt.
- Cast Frostbolt as your main attack.
Utility skills, such as Frost Nova, and AoE skills, such as Arcane Explosionshould be used to keep enemies away from you or finish off packs of enemies, as required.
Since you can make your own food and water with Conjure Food and Conjure Water,you will be able to more than make up the gold spent on these skills, by saving on vendor food and water. It is also possible to gain some gold on the side by selling your conjured supplies to other players.
Summary of Trainer Skills for Arcane Mage
- At Level 1, as soon as you have the copper, buy Arcane Intellect. It provides a significant Intellect boost, that lasts for 30 minutes.
- At Level 4, buy Conjure Water and Frostbolt. Conjure Water allows you to create free water, to use while leveling up. Frostbolt deals strong damage and slows the target by 40%.
- At Level 6, buy Conjure Food. Conjure Food allows you to create free food, to use while leveling up.
- At Level 8, buy Polymorph, Arcane Missiles and Rank 2 Frostbolt. Polymorph allows you to take one enemy out of combat for 20 seconds, which is handy when dealing with multiple enemies. Keep in mind only one enemy can be polymorphed at a time. Arcane Missiles is a relatively weak spell for its Mana cost but because you are Arcane specced, you will gain some helpful talents for it early on.
- At Level 10, buy Rank 2 Frost Armor, Rank 2 Conjure Water and Frost Nova. Frost Nova freezes nearby enemies for 8 seconds, allowing you to regain distance on them, and to gain a damage bonus, through Shatter, when re-engaging.
- At Level 12, buy Rank 2 Conjure Food and Slow Fall. Slow Fall slows your falling speed, which is handy to avoid fall damage, enabling shortcuts that would lead to death, otherwise.
- At Level 14, buy Arcane Explosion, Rank 2 Arcane Intellect and Rank 3 Frostbolt. Arcane Explosion will be your main AoE spell with the spec, since it is instant you can also use it to finish off weakened enemies, but beware its high Mana cost.
- At Level 16, buy rank 2 Arcane Missiles.
- At Level 18, buy Remove Lesser Curse. Remove Lesser Curse is a niche, yet sometimes invaluable spell that will allow you to remove curse effects.
- At Level 20, buy Blink, Rank 3 Frost Armor, Rank 3 Conjure Water, Evocation and Rank 4 Frostbolt. At this level, you can also start to buy the teleport spells for each major city, such as Teleport: Stormwind (Alliance) or Teleport: Orgrimmar (Horde), at their respective portal trainers. Blink allows you to teleport forward every 15 seconds, which can be useful in a variety of situations. It also clears stun and root effects. Evocation rapidly regenerates your Mana over 8 seconds, with an 8-minute cooldown.
- At Level 22, buy Rank 2 Arcane Explosion and Rank 3 Conjure Food
- At Level 24, buy Counterspell and rank 3 Arcane Missiles. Counterspell instantly interrupts and prevents spells of the interrupted school from being cast for 10 seconds, with a 30-second cooldown. Very useful to disable caster enemies or in the occasional PvP situation.
- At Level 26, buy Rank 5 Frostbolt.
- At Level 28, buy Rank 3 Arcane Intellect and Conjure Mana Agate. Conjure Mana Agate is the first of four spells that create Mana Gems that you can use during combat to instantly replenish part of your Mana pool. These items share a 2-minute cooldown, and are consumed on use.
- At Level 30, buy Ice Armor, Rank 3 Arcane Explosion, Rank 4 Conjure Water and Teleport: Darnassus (Alliance) or Teleport: Thunder Bluff (Horde) at each respective city's portal trainers. Ice Armor is basically the same as Frost Armor with a little bit of Frost Resistance baked in.
- At Level 32, buy Rank 4 Conjure Food, rank 4 Arcane Missiles and Rank 6 Frostbolt.
- At Level 34, buy Mage Armor. Mage Armor allows 30% of your Mana regeneration to continue while casting, and gives you some general magic resistance. Considering you should not be getting hit by enemy melee attacks, this will be more helpful than Frost Armor.
- At Level 38, buy Rank 4 Arcane Explosion, Conjure Mana Jade and Rank 7 Frostbolt.
- At Level 40, buy Rank 5 Conjure Water and rank 5 Arcane Missiles. At this level, you can also start to buy the portal spells for each major city, such as Portal: Stormwind (Alliance) or Portal: Orgrimmar (Horde), at their respective portal trainers.
- At Level 42, buy Rank 4 Arcane Intellect, Rank 5 Conjure Food.
- At Level 44, buy Rank 8 Frostbolt .
- At Level 46, buy Rank 5 Arcane Explosion and Rank 2 Ice Barrier.
- At Level 48, buy Conjure Mana Citrine and rank 6 Arcane Missiles.
- At Level 50, buy Rank 6 Conjure Water, Rank 9 Frostbolt and Portal: Darnassus (Alliance) or Portal: Thunder Bluff (Horde) at each respective city's portal trainers.
- At Level 52, buy Rank 6 Conjure Food and Rank 3 Ice Barrier.
- At Level 54, buy Rank 6 Arcane Explosion.
- At Level 56, buy Rank 5 Arcane Intellect, rank 7 Arcane Missiles and Rank 10 Frostbolt.
- At Level 58, buy Conjure Mana Ruby and Rank 4 Ice Barrier.
Arcane Mage Macros and Addons
By setting yourself up with an upgraded user interface and macros from the get go, you will make your leveling process much easier. Check out our Arcane Mage Macros and Addons guide in the link below for the full list.
Single-Target Arcane Mage Quests and Weapons
While leveling, you will find and look for weapon upgrades. There are also some class specific quests to complete, mostly for new gear but also for the best water rank. In order to get you well on your way with both of those aspects of the game, we have prepared two dedicated guides.
Single Target Arcane Mage Level 60 Guides
Now that you arrived at Level 60, check out our DPS Mage Guide, which covers how to play at maximum level in detail.
We would especially recommend you to browse the following pages.
- The DPS Mage Talent builds guide, contains the PvE oriented builds for DPS Mages. The build you reach at 60 when following this guide has the perk of being one of the best raiding builds for Molten Core and Blackwing Lair;
- Our PvP Mage guide is where you can find the recommended PvP talents for Mages, as well as various tricks and tips to help you win against against other players;
- Goldmaking Guide for DPS Mages explains various techniques that you can employ to farm gold quickly at level 60, and even before! Mages are one of the very best classes for farming in the game, and can solo farm a lot of gold quickly in Dire Maul East. They are also great for solo farming Maraudon and Zul'Farrak;
- In DPS Mage Rotation guide, you will find various tips and tricks on how to perform some of the more advanced Mage tricks, to compensate for the raiding rotation mostly being a one-button spam;
- Our DPS Mage Stats guide has a lot of information on WoW Classic Mage stats and their relative meaning towards your damage dealing potential;
- Finally, browse the Gear guide for DPS Mages to learn which are your best pieces of gear in WoW Classic (updated every phase), and where you can farm them in order to optimize your damage.
- 28 Feb. 2021: Changed the slider starting point to maximum level.
- 05 Jan. 2020: Added a Macros and Addons section.
- 04 Nov. 2019: Page added.
Classic Dungeon Guides
Classic Profession Guides
Classic Race Guides
Classic Class Overviews
- Chinese Realm "Region Unavailable" Messages Appeared for EU Players
- Changes to Death Knight Character Creation Restrictions Coming
- Free Character Transfers in Wrath Classic: March 3rd
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: March 1st
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 24th
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 21st
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 16th
- Season of Mastery Realms Closing This Week, Transfers Open