WoW Classic Fire Mage Leveling Talent Build from 1 to 60
On this page, you will find our detailed Fire Mage leveling guide for WoW Classic. Make sure to use the slider to make the guide adapt to your level. Fire is all about single target killing power, and it has the highest single target killing speed out of all Mage specializations, from level 1, all the way to 60. Fire also has some decent burst AoE with Flamestrike and Blast Wave, which also slows enemies, but its ability to control packs of enemies pales in comparison with the AoE Grinding Frost Mage. Make sure to also browse our Frost Single Target and Arcane leveling guides for alternative playstyles. Finally, for more general leveling information, please refer to our Mage leveling guide.
If you were looking for TBC Classic advice, please refer to our TBC Classic Fire Mage leveling guide.
Single Target Fire Mage Level by Level Rotation, Talents and Trainer Skills
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talent Tree for leveling up as a Single Target Fire Mage
Your first talent unlocks at Level 10.
Your talents should look like this, allowing you to slowly progress your way to the recommend Fire Mage Talents at level 60!
- Levels 10 & 11 — 2 points in Elemental Precision
- Levels 12 to 16 — 5 points in Improved Fireball
- Level 17 — 1 point in Flame Throwing
- Levels 18 & 19 — 2 points in Impact
Elemental Precision allows you hit enemies much more reliably, which will increase your damage output and reduce your melee damage taken, as it is more likely enemies will die before reaching you. Improved Fireball is a good damage increase with Fireball, although it comes at the cost of Mana. Flame Throwing increases Fire spell range, allowing you to open on enemies from a longer distance, and finally Impact allows you to sometimes stun enemies with your Fire spells.
- Levels 20 to 22 — 3 points in Impact
- Levels 23 & 24 — 2 points in Burning Soul
- Levels 25 & 26 — 2 points in Incinerate
- Levels 27 to 29 — 3 points in Ignite
Finish maximizing Impact and get Burning Soul and Incinerate, which provide cast time pushback resistance and additional critical strike with some of your spells, respectively. Finish by putting some points into Ignite, which is a minor DPS increase at this stage.
- Level 30 — 1 point in Ignite
- Level 31 — 1 point in Pyroblast
- Level 32 — 1 point in Blast Wave
- Levels 33 to 35 — 3 points in Critical Mass
- Level 36 — 1 point in Ignite
- Levels 37 to 39 — 3 points in Fire Power
In this level range, you will finish maximizing Ignite, get Pyroblast (a powerful opener) and Blast Wave (a powerful AoE tool), and finish by grabbing some of the largest DPS increases in the Fire talent tree: Critical Mass and Fire Power.
- Levels 40 & 41 — 2 points in Fire Power
- Level 42 — 1 point in Combustion
- Levels 43 & 44 — 2 points in Arcane Subtlety
- Levels 45 to 47 — 3 points in Arcane Focus
- Levels 48 & 49 — 2 points in Arcane Concentration
Maximize Fire Power to gain even more damage and proceed into Combustion which causes your next spells to have a much higher critical strike chance, allowing you to get huge Ignites rolling on demand. Afterwards, get Arcane Subtlety and Arcane Concentration, to pierce enemy resistances and reduce resists on your Arcane spells (such as Polymorph). Finally, get two points into Arcane Concentration for its Mana-saving properties.
- Levels 50 to 52 — 3 points in Arcane Concentration
- Level 53 — 1 point in Arcane Resilience
- Levels 54 to 56 — 3 points in Improved Scorch
- Level 57 — 1 point in Elemental Precision
- Levels 58 to 60 — 3 points in Master of Elements
Get the remaining points in Arcane Concentration to maximize its Mana gain, Arcane Resilience for whenever you are caught by physical attacks and Improved Scorch to debuff enemies with additional Fire damage taken. To finish your Fire Mage talents, grab the final point of Elemental Precision to maximize your odds of hitting raid bosses and maximize Master of Elements for maximum Mana refunds, just in time to start killing bosses at 60!
Rotation for leveling up as a Single Target Fire Mage
- Cast Arcane Intellect and Frost Armor if you miss their buffs.
- Cast Arcane Intellect and Ice Armor if you miss their buffs.
- Cast Arcane Intellect and Mage Armor if you miss their buffs.
- Cast Fireball as your main attack.
Utility skills, such as Frost Nova, and AoE skills, such as Arcane Explosion should be used to keep enemies away from you or finish off packs of enemies, as required.
Since you can make your own food and water with Conjure Food and Conjure Water, you will be able to more than make up the gold spent on these skills, by saving on vendor food and water. It is also possible to gain some gold on the side by selling your conjured supplies to other players.
Summary of Trainer Skills for Single Target Fire Mage
- At Level 1, as soon as you have the copper, buy Arcane Intellect. It provides a significant Intellect boost, that lasts for 30 minutes.
- At Level 4, buy Conjure Water. Conjure Water allows you to create free water, to use while leveling up.
- At Level 6, buy Conjure Food and Rank 2 Fireball. Conjure Food allows you to create free food, to use while leveling up.
- At Level 8, buy Polymorph. Polymorph allows you to take one enemy out of combat for 20 seconds, which is handy when dealing with multiple enemies. Keep in mind only one enemy can be polymorphed at a time.
- At Level 10, buy Rank 2 Conjure Water, Rank 2 Frost Armor and Frost Nova. Frost Nova freezes nearby enemies for 8 seconds, allowing you to flee or regain distance on them before re-engaging.
- At Level 12, buy Rank 2 Conjure Food, Rank 3 Fireball and Slow Fall. Slow Fall slows your falling speed, which is handy to avoid fall damage, enabling shortcuts that would lead to death, otherwise.
- At Level 14, buy Arcane Explosion, Rank 2 Arcane Intellect. Arcane Explosion will be your main AoE spell. Also, as it is instant, you can also use it to finish off weakened enemies, but beware its high Mana cost.
- At Level 18, buy Remove Lesser Curse and Rank 4 Fireball. Remove Lesser Curse is a niche, yet sometimes invaluable spell that will allow you to remove curse effects.
- At Level 20, buy Blink, Rank 3 Conjure Water, Rank 3 Frost Armor and Evocation. At this level, you can also start to buy the teleport spells for each major city, such as Teleport: Stormwind (Alliance) or Teleport: Orgrimmar (Horde), at their respective portal trainers. Blink allows you to teleport forward every 15 seconds, which can be useful in a variety of situations. It also clears stun and root effects. Evocation rapidly regenerates your Mana over 8 seconds, with an 8-minute cooldown.
- At Level 22, buy Rank 2 Arcane Explosion, Scorch and Rank 3 Conjure Food. Scorch is a quick casting Fire spell that does less DPS than Fireball, overall, but is useful to finish enemies or in situations where you are getting spell pushback / interrupted.
- At Level 24, buy Counterspell and Rank 5 Fireball. Counterspell instantly interrupts and prevents spells of the interrupted school from being cast for 10 seconds, with a 30-second cooldown. Very useful to disable caster enemies.
- At Level 28, buy Rank 3 Arcane Intellect, Rank 2 Scorch and Conjure Mana Agate. Conjure Mana Agate is the first of four spells that create Mana Gems that you can use during combat to instantly replenish part of your Mana pool. These items share a 2-minute cooldown, and are consumed on use.
- At Level 30, buy Rank 3 Arcane Explosion, Rank 4 Conjure Water, Ice Armor, Rank 6 Fireball and Teleport: Darnassus (Alliance) or Teleport: Thunder Bluff (Horde) at each respective city's portal trainers. Ice Armor is just a slightly stronger Frost Armor, and should be used as such.
- At Level 32, buy Rank 4 Conjure Food.
- At Level 34, buy Rank 3 Scorch and Mage Armor. Mage Armor allows 30% of your Mana regeneration to continue while casting, and gives you some general magic resistance. Considering you should not be getting hit by enemy melee attacks, this will be more helpful than Frost Armor.
- At Level 36, buy Rank 7 Fireball.
- At Level 38, buy Rank 4 Arcane Explosion and Conjure Mana Jade.
- At Level 40, buy Rank 4 Scorch and Rank 5 Conjure Water. At this level, you can also start to buy the portal spells for each major city, such as Portal: Stormwind (Alliance) or Portal: Orgrimmar (Horde), at their respective portal trainers.
- At Level 42, buy Rank 4 Arcane Intellect, Rank 5 Conjure Food and Rank 8 Fireball.
- At Level 46, buy Rank 5 Scorch and Rank 5 Arcane Explosion
- At Level 48, buy Conjure Mana Citrine and Rank 9 Fireball.
- At Level 50, buy Rank 6 Conjure Water and Portal: Darnassus (Alliance) or Portal: Thunder Bluff (Horde) at each respective city's portal trainers.
- At Level 52, buy Rank 6 Scorch and Rank 6 Conjure Food.
- At Level 54, buy Rank 6 Arcane Explosion and Rank 10 Fireball.
- At Level 56, buy Rank 5 Arcane Intellect.
- At Level 58, buy Rank 7 Scorch and Conjure Mana Ruby.
- At Level 60, buy Fireball.
Fire Mage Macros and Addons
By setting yourself up with an upgraded user interface and macros from the get go, you will make your leveling process much easier. Check out our Fire Mage Macros and Addons guide in the link below for the full list.
Single-Target Fire Mage Quests and Weapons
While leveling, you will find or procure many weapon upgrades. You will also have a few class specific quests to complete, mostly for new gear. In order to get you well on your way with both of those aspects of the game, we have prepared two dedicated guides.
Single Target Fire Mage Level 60 Guides
Now that you arrived at Level 60, check out our DPS Mage Guide, which covers how to play at maximum level in detail.
We would especially recommend you to browse the following pages.
- The DPS Mage Talent builds guide, which contains the PvE oriented builds for DPS Mages. Watch out when using Fire builds against Fire resistant / immune enemies, such as Onyxia and the elementals in Molten Core, as it will drastically lower your damage;
- Our PvP Mage guide is where you can find the recommended PvP talents for Mages, as well as various tricks and tips to help you win against against other players;
- Goldmaking Guide for DPS Mages explains various techniques that you can employ to farm gold quickly at level 60, and even before! Mages are one of the very best classes for solo farming Dire Maul East, Maraudon and Zul'Farrak;
- In DPS Mage Rotation guide, you will find various tips and tricks on how to perform some of the more advanced Mage tricks, to compensate for the raiding rotation mostly being a one-button spam;
- Our DPS Mage Stats guide has a lot of information on WoW Classic's Mage stats and their relative meaning towards your damage dealing potential;
- Finally, browse the Gear guide for DPS Mages to learn which are your best pieces of gear in WoW Classic (updated every phase), and where you can farm them in order to optimize your damage.
- 28 Feb. 2021: Changed the slider starting point to maximum level.
- 05 Jan. 2020: Added a Macros and Addons section.
- 09 Dec. 2019: Page added.
- Blizzard Working on an Unannounced Open-World RPG Shooter
- Season of Mastery Beta Update: October 13th
- The Return of Large Groups in Battlegrounds
- WoW Classic Season of Mastery Design Intentions and Details
- Global Battle.net Maintenance: October 6th
- WoW Classic Season of Mastery Beta Notes: October 5th
- Burning Crusade and WoW Classic Hotfixes: October 4th
- Brewfest Extended an Extra Day in Burning Crusade Classic
- Shaman Tank Guide - Shaman Tanking in WoW
- New player interested in TBC - Boost or level?
- Hunter Macros for TBC Cassic?
- Which class are you going to play in Classic and why?
- When will we see a pre-patch tbc page?
- Icecold (A) - Ashbringer EU
- Inner Circle Recruiting For TBC
- New onyxia kill time