Ragnaros Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Ragnaros Summary by Role
- You will need two tanks for the boss, positioned together in front of him. If one tank gets knocked back, the other should immediately take the boss.
- If the boss submerges, run to the side of the room to pick up the adds that spawn.
- This is a high fire damage encounter, so using lots of fire resistance on your gear is a great choice if you have any available.
- Spread out around the room, at least 8 yards from anyone else.
- Make sure people are topped up enough, so they do not die to Lava Burst.
- Have at least two dedicated healers always in range of tanks to watch them.
- Melee DPS should be tightly stacked behind the boss.
- Ranged DPS should be away from melee, spread around the room (8 yards from anyone else).
- Kill the adds if the boss submerges. Warriors can help pick up adds to make sure they are away from casters.
- Melee DPS need to watch for Wrath of Ragnaros, so they know when to run out of melee range as a group.
General Tips for Ragnaros
- Greater Fire Protection Potions are extremely useful on this fight. Everyone in the raid should use 1 before the pull, and should have another one ready, if they need it during the pull.
- Make sure you have longer damage cooldowns up for this fight. Killing Ragnaros before he submerges the first time makes the fight much easier, and is very doable, even for a first-time raid group.
- Ranged DPS and healers should make sure they are 8 yards apart, so as not to knock each other back if you get targeted by Lava Burst.
Strategy for Ragnaros
Ragnaros can be difficult, but if you can meet the DPS check to kill him within a couple of minutes, he is quite trivial. Positioning is critical here, and you will want to start with two tanks in front of Ragnaros, the melee DPS grouped perfectly behind him, and the ranged DPS and healers spread out around the room, at least 8 yards apart from anyone else.
From the start of the pull, you have a little over 2 minutes to kill Ragnaros before he submerges. With a full raid of 40 people that are level 60 with full dungeon gear, this should be doable. If you do not kill him before he submerges, do not panic, you just have to deal with some adds.
While Ragnaros is submerged in lava, some Son of Flame adds will spawn, which melee and burn the Mana of people near them. You will want to use your tanks and melee to pick these up quickly, also using spells like Frost Nova to keep the adds away from casters. Once they are all dead, Ragnaros will come back and can be killed.
Ranged will need to be spread around the room, but the most important thing is to make sure that melee are watching a timer for when Wrath of Ragnaros will be cast using an addon. A few seconds before Wrath is cast, they will want to run out of melee to the edge of the lava, wait, and then run back in after the cast goes off. The off-tank will need to do the same thing, with the tanks swapping once the current tank gets knocked away by Wrath of Ragnaros.
The Fire damage on this fight is extremely high, and tanks especially should be wearing a full set of Fire Resistance gear, using whatever they can.
- Wrath of Ragnaros will knock back nearby players and deal some Fire damage. Your melee will want to back out of melee range before this is cast, and your off-tank will need to step in after the cast to immediately pick up threat on Ragnaros.
- Lava Burst will blast a random ranged with fire, dealing damage and knocking back anyone within 8 yards of them. This ability is why ranged need to stay 8 yards apart the whole fight.
Loot from Ragnaros
Below is a list of the loot available from this boss, but you can see a full loot list from the raid on our Molten Core Loot page.
Tier 1 Loot
Ragnaros does not drop any Tier 1 loot, but he does drop the Tier 2 legs for all classes.
Tier 2 Loot
|Leggings of Transcendence||60||Legs||Priest|
|Legplates of Ten Storms||60||Legs||Shaman|
|Legplates of Wrath||60||Legs||Warrior|
Along with the items shown below, Ragnaros will also drop a number of BoE blue items for the Level 45-60 range.
|Band of Accuria||60||Finger|
|Band of Sulfuras||60||Finger|
|Choker of the Fire Lord||60||Neck|
|Cloak of the Shrouded Mists||60||Back|
|Crown of Destruction||60||Head|
|Dragon's Blood Cape||60||Back|
|Essence of the Pure Flame||60||Trinket|
|Shard of the Flame||60||Trinket|
|Eye of Sulfuras||N/A||Legendary Crafting Material|
- 07 Nov. 2019: Page added.
- Daily Instance Cap is Over 50 on The Burning Crusade Classic Beta
- Sealed Packages Added on the Burning Crusade Classic Beta
- Burning Crusade Classic Boost Quests: Brand New BC Content
- New Burning Crusade Classic Build: Cap Raised to Level 70 & More
- The "Grandfather" of Classic Omar Gonzalez Left Blizzard for Dreamhaven
- Burning Crusade Classic Beta Testing Availability and Fixes: March 31st
- Additional Bank Slot Available in The Burning Crusade Classic
- Chronoboon World Buff Saver Details from the PTR
- New player interested in TBC - Boost or level?
- Chaos Recruiting for TBC Classic [H] [Herod]
- No one wants retris
- Shaman Tank Guide - Shaman Tanking in WoW
- Which class are you going to play in Classic and why?
- TBC Transition+
- Looking for guild with EARLY RAID TIMES
- [H][EU][Skullflame] Impact Recruiting to raid Naxx Wednesday and Sunday