FORUMS
Tupi

Dungeon Run Progress Thread

I didn't see a thread for this sort of topic so here is one.

I'd rather not have this divert into a review thread, simply how far you are getting on what classes and observations of builds and whatnot.

Let's assume that if we're posting on this thread, we are enjoying Dungeon Runs or are at least determined to try to 'complete' all runs.

I posted this in another thread but re-posting here for continuity.

1st Win with Huntard

5a2ec67ad0412_HearthstoneScreenshot12-09-1715_19_11.thumb.png.bbfc02864335c1028355f32ede41e6c8.png

Hearthstone Screenshot 12-09-17 15.19.33.png

2nd win with druid. Last boss was the devourer that burns your cards. Heavy C'thun build with three C'thun's though they all got burned. The win was from 6 boom bots buffed to 4/4 and double deathrattle.

Screenshot_2017-12-11-12-46-36.png

I dont have pics for mine.

First win was with Mage vs the Beholder boss.  I got a lot of damage in with stealth minions, but what beat him was that he had the weapon that draws three cards every turn, and drew himself into oblivion.  Especially the last few turns he played a card that gave him an extra turn, then drew three more cards for tons of fatigue damage.

Second with Shaman vs Togwaggle. Again, it was the permanent stealth that made the difference. The Boss had seven boom bots and couldn't bring up any more minions because the board was full, but could only do 7 damage per round to me. 

So far I am at 4 Hero wins. I did not SS their wins but I have a SS of the Crown above their heads.  I find that out of all the passives to pick from, I almost always take the Magi Robes, Justicar's Ring, Scepter of Summoning, or the Enemy minions cost 1 more.  Loot cards however, I almost always go for Embers of Ragnaros, Dr. Boom's Boombox, Orb of Destruction, or a few others.

So far, out of the 4 final bosses, I have the most trouble with the King and his RNG treasure.  Xol sometimes discards their own quest reward, the Dragon can't play a lot of minions due to all of his treasure chests, and the Darkness gives you those candles to sweep his 5/5 horde but you really don't want to use the candles unless he has at least 2 of them on his field.

Capture.thumb.PNG.ac09d6f6cb21b783638320dc478f7d69.PNG

gratz to both your efforts.

paladin took a while but finally got it done just now.

board state just before he fatigued, seems as if even though the power of 'The Darkness' is pretty OP he doesn't have a lot of cards? I didn't check his pack at the beginning but he ran out quick.

my pally deck was Silver Hand'ish and Legendary, had Marin, 3 Han Cho's, two Black Knights and the Lich King. doubled up on +1/+1 and the card that pulls 3 cards and reduces them to '0' cost. but, i think it was having plenty of 3/3 Silver hand to trade 2 for 1 on the 5/5 darkness and then Marin's treasure giving me 2 legendary's that would have given me a legendary if they died...sorry, i don't remember card names I don't have/play often.

on to Shaman next.

I thought this might have been a bit more popular a topic :D

Hearthstone Screenshot 12-13-17 17.43.15.png

Hearthstone Screenshot 12-13-17 17.43.48.png

Shaman. +1/+1minions; +3 spellpower; the card with 3, 8 damage fireballs, and the candle. The Devourer burned both the fireball card and the candle. Didn't think I was going to beat him but got saved I think by drawing Moorabi and two of the taunt Minions that freeze. Was able to get two copies of the legendary taunt minion that summons 3 1 / 3 taunt minions and squeaked it out.

Screenshot_2017-12-14-19-22-53.png

Screenshot_2017-12-14-19-23-32.png

Edited by Tupi
correcting voice to text errors.

Finally finished Priest.  4th character to complete a run and by far the hardest.  I just wasn't able to get a deck that had any theme to it, and one that actually went with the special effects I picked.  For example if I choose the deathrattle special (all count twice) then I'm guaranteed not to be offered any deathrattle cards for the rest of the run.  Or I'd encounter the super hard Trap room and just get decimated.  

But finally I was able to avoid the obvious pitfalls and get a deck that somewhat went together.  Also having stealthed units and double starting health were key.  It was a deathrattle deck, that relied on Wax Rager to win.  Couple it with Spiritsinger UmbraBaron Rivendare and Mirage Caller all under stealth and even the Darkness cannot stand up to it.

q2nCe7R.jpg

Edited by Mursilis

Wax Rager truly is the most magnificent card of the dungeon feature.  I went in with a sub-par Rogue deck, picked the wrong first ability (+3 spell damage) and still made a clean sweep of the run.  My saving grace was having decent card draw and some recruit so I could get said Wax Rager out on the board quickly.  As long as my opponent couldn't silence it, then coupled with the double deathrattle bonus I obtained, candle just took over.  Poor dragon didn't know what hit him.

C3bfu3r.jpg

5Y44mL7.jpg
Like I said, clean sweep.  It's a good thing Wax Rager doesn't exist outside of dungeon, as he'd quickly get nerfed due to being too OP.

Edited by Mursilis
forgot to mention which class

I've beaten it with Rogue and Hunter also, making four total.

Priest is very difficult. A number of times I'll have an excellent "unique" deck going, with Raza and Kazakus, only to be offered three sets of cards that have a duplicate in them. BAH! 

I'm working on mage now, powerful early game but haven't gotten a win yet, two 7/8 and a 6/8. I got the treasure boss once and thought 4 more would be a sure thing but the trap room was last on that run.

lol, I went looking for Wax Rager in the K&C set not realizing it was DR only.

Grats on the 8/8 first run with a class!

I enjoyed the dungeon runs and died several times at boss 5 / 6. (Twice I was too stupid to read the bosses power correctly...)

Then I managed the run with a great rogue - jade deck with double battlecry. And some Backstep cards added to the mix.

But I am not sure how often I will play it again, because the first bosses are too easy to be exciting after playing it a few times. And if your not lucky after the first 2 bosses (with decks / bonuses) you can just do it again, because chances are low you'll be able to beat the laer bosses.

IMO you should get gold as a reward.

That is pretty much what I felt a few hours after release.I gave it several more tries but it didn't get any better. And for myself I can't see that I would do anything great when I simply spend endless hours until I get lucky.

As I said before, I like the idea and general design but it's not done that great. Blackjack offers better chances to win :D I think even the dedicated players who will grind the hell out of it just to get it done will not touch it again after they got the .... amazing ... incredible ... unbelievable reward of a card back.

But it would be interesting how the majority of the players feel about the Dungeon Runs. Looking to the mods anyone some numbers? 

Edited by Caldyrvan

For the sixth class I went with Warlock.  Two aborted runs where my deck didn't have a theme weren't all that helpful.  I kept choosing stealth as the special ability and was only offered taunt minions.  Not really helpful.  But then on the 3rd run I was offered lots of demons, which went nicely with the +1/1 to all minions ability I started with rather than stealth.  I loaded up with VoidcallerDoomguardAbyssal Enforcer and a trio of Mal'Ganis.  If I could get into the late game by delaying my opponent with a series of low level taunt cards then I should be able to overpower them.

Final opponent was the Darkness, again.  The beginning went pretty much as expected.  Delay with taunts and wipe out the minions with candles.  Bit aggravating since all my decent minions kept getting mind controlled or entombed.  Actually started looking dire when my board was clear and the Darkness had several units out.  But then I drew Bloodreaver Gul'dan and my opponent had to sacrifice all his units just to half clear my side.  Granted next turn he wiped the whole board and shuffled it into my deck.  But he succumbed to fatigue after that since he had no more cards to play.

S1IidtA.jpg

X8yTFeX.jpg

Edited by Mursilis

I swear I'm not spending every waking moment doing dungeon runs.  Just one here and there.  But they aren't stupidly difficult, and I don't keep getting the Trap Room, so keep getting them completed.  This time around it was Shaman.  It wasn't the most inspired deck, nor one with some overall theme I used to overpower each boss.  Every single boss, beyond the first one was a grinding ordeal of trading minions and avoiding their special ability.  Quite a few close calls, I really thought I'd lose to the 7th boss that did 2 damage to 3 minions every turn, seeing as my deck was minion based.  But getting a pair of Healing Totem along with the +1/1 minion stat special bonus negated most of the damage, just took half the match to get it in place.

The star of the deck was Kel'Thuzad, and thankfully none of my opponents were able to silence him.  Couple him with a pair of Cairne Bloodhoof and a Wax Rager and that allowed me to weather the early storm from the stat enhanced treasure chests Vustrasz (the final dragon boss) sent my way.  It was worrisome as I didn't have the double starting health special ability, so couldn't let any minions get too out of control.  Thankfully the dragon prioritized my minions over myself initially so totems were sent as sacrificial lambs early until I got stronger cards to fight for the board.  Once the above minion combination as in place that signaled the end of the match.

aYLRmK2.jpg

YQY78n3.jpg

7 down, 2 more to go.

Edited by Mursilis

So far did it with warrior (crazy berserk deck with patrons at later stages), shaman (double battlecry + jades + elementals) and warlock (zooish + demons deck). Guess this mode is hard because of netdeck habit :-)

Grats all!

I have yet to see boots of haste pop.

still working on mage...but didn't play much sunday at all.

Finally finished them all!

The last run was with Druid, I got double battlecry, lots of Cthun cards, and scepter of summoning.  

go in with a plan if you can. If you get offered double battlecry early, go for jade or cthun cards. Wax Rager is insanely powerful with double deathrattle.  Wax Rager + Defile is a guaranteed board clear, and if you have double deathrattle going you get 7 wax ragers on your side of the board. 

Edited by Allegro
  • Like 1

Omg I made it!! I don't remember all the specifics, so I will give you some points from my progress:

-Got 3 x Azari, 2 x Darkness, 2 x Togwaggle, 1 x Xol, 1 Vustraz for last bosses. The dragon one is probably the easiest if you ignore the chests and Xol's voice lines betray what she gets from her Hero Power each time so you can hopefully play around it.

-With Rogue, Shaman and Druid, take Jade as much as you can and Captured Flag with Cloak of Invisibility.

-I got so ridiculously lucky with my Paladin. I made a deck which had literally zero synergies and won. I won because the Darkness used Forbidden Ritual on its first turn and got a Howlfiend, so I destroyed his hand. Then, I got the Golden Kobold from my Marin the Fox (don't even ask why he was drafted) and he gave me Anub'arak to clear the Darkness's 5/5.

-Priest was the hardest one for me. I kept running into stupid enemies like Brittlesnarl (guy who reduces the mana cost of his minions and plays Hunter cards) and the guy with the 4 15/5s on board, that are activated when he has 5 mana. I even lost to Graves the Cleric once. I always drafted Highlander decks but they aren't as successful as you would think. My winning Highlander deck had zero synergies, only had Shadowreaper Anduin, some healing minions like the 4-mana 3/5 and some dragons. Try getting Robe of Magi (+3 Spell Power) with Priest, it helps a lot and you can actually get it more than once.

-I know Warrior is also a hard one. I personally beat it with a Recruit Big Warrior.

-I actually had a streak yesterday with 4 consecutive successful finishes with Hunter, Rogue, Shaman and Warlock.

-It's obviously a matter of luck: what you draft and which bosses you get and in which order you get them. Some bosses are stupidly difficult if you get them as your 6th or 7th boss.

- From the treasures: obviously +1/+1 to all minions is the best. Cloak of Invisibility is good for aggro decks, but sometimes it can mess things up for you. I also liked Scepter of Summoning. Don't underestimate the Double Health. Double Battlecries/Deathrattles are valuable for the Jade decks.

• Like 1

I got a daily quest to complete some dungeon runs, so figured I'd give Paladin a shot.  Wasn't offered the best options for special abilities, so ended up with starting with 2 extra cards and double starting health.  Considering I was crafting a deck centered around lots of minions I would much have preferred the +1/1 stats option or stealth.  RNG strikes again.  I loaded up on Silver Hand RegentQuartermaster and Sunkeeper Tarim to give my recruits as much of a boost as possible.  Coupled that with Muster for BattleLevel Up! and Stand Against Darkness and you can see where my strategy lay.  

After the first 3 battles, which are always really simple, each match was a true battle.  This was probably the longest dungeon run I've done yet, as I got close to fatigue almost every single time.  Lots of trading minions, wide boards and simply trying to outlast my opponent.  Other than the final boss, the closest call to ending my run was against the boss that automatically gives his minion charge (7th boss).  Every time I started to get control of the board, he's drop 1-2 poison minions and I'd have to start all over again.  Think I survived that one with 12 of out 90 HP left.

The final boss was the Darkness, for the 4th time I believe.  I have to say he didn't fight the smartest possible way which really helped me get the eventual victory.  He's summon a unit, then wipe everything out, or mind control or entomb a silver hand recruit (1/1!).  Still, I didn't get some of my key cards like Sunkeeper Tarim, so I guess that evened things up.  I was able to keep his minions in check with trades while chipping away at his HP.  In the end, I just started going pure face when he got close to fatigue, so he'd kill himself, which he did.

VFpOJPe.jpg

u2IIDL2.jpg

This is the third class I've gotten through the full run on the first try.  Only one more class to go, Warrior.

Edited by Mursilis

Grats, Everyone!

Finally got mage done. In what seems to be typical for me of  ~45 bosses killed.

I got Double Life x2 which really helped me play the long game with all bosses after I got Jaina on the Boss 3 draft.

I believe I got the MageQuest in Boss 1 draft so kept with and elemental/chaos theme through the rest of the draws.

Images for board state right before The Darkness fatigued himself...herself...itself?

Also, 2 images for the deck, one scrolled up and the other down to see all cards.

and, is it me or is the forum really laggy on input?

Hearthstone Screenshot 12-19-17 12.02.03.png

Hearthstone Screenshot 12-19-17 12.02.40.png

Hearthstone Screenshot 12-19-17 12.02.48.png

Warrior is a tad annoying to play in dungeon.  It seems you aren't offered any low level minions and everything is just big.  Took me two runs to figure that out.  Of course this means that when you run into the boss that creates spores with hero poison damage you're just screwed.  Which I was in one of my runes.  Lose on turn 3 to that boss every single time.

But once I figured out what cards I'd be offered, I was able to plan according.  Special abilities I went with were starting with an extra mana crystal and setting all minions that cost 5 or more to exactly 5 mana cost.  Then I loaded up on massive minions like The Lich KingRagnaros the FirelordGruul and Primordial Drake that I can start dropping on turn 5 and went to work.

Turns out the earlier bosses were the hardest.  I came *that* close to losing to the Giant Rat, which would have been embarrassing.  One key element was picking up the Archmage Staff, giving me some extra cards to play and keep my opponent under control.  It did cause some issues as I had other weapons in my deck, so if I started with it I was loathe to replace it unless I was going for lethal damage.  Led me to actually losing cards when I was getting my normal draw, something from the staff and another card from the Lich King.  Card management failed me a few times.

Either way, King Togwaggle didn't stand a chance.

IT88A1K.jpg

y4XCn5U.jpg

cfAIGD6.jpg

That's it for me.  Good luck to those still chasing the card back.

Grats.

lol, i may be done...i don't really like playing warrior, rogue, lock or priest. Been working on warrior and noticed the same thing. Tried warlock and blech...just don't like playing those classes so it's not really fun.