Blackfathom Deeps Quests Guide
This guide lists all the quests you can do in the Blackfathom Deeps dungeon: Alliance quests, Horde quests, class quests, profession quests, quests you need to get before entering the dungeons, and quests you get inside the dungeons. The idea is to help you do all the quests in a single run of the dungeon.
For more information about the dungeon, please refer to our detailed Blackfathom Deeps dungeon guide.
There are quests for both the Alliance and Horde in this dungeon, as well as a class quest for Warlocks.
The list of quests available in this dungeon is as follows, with their faction (N means the quest is neutral and available to both factions) and level requirement.
- A  In Search of Thaelrid
- A  Knowledge in the Deeps
- A  Researching the Corruption
- A  Twilight Falls
- A  Blackfathom Villainy (started inside the dungeon)
- H  Allegiance to the Old Gods
- H  Amongst the Ruins
- H  Baron Aquanis
- H  The Essence of Aku'Mai
- H  Blackfathom Villainy (started inside the dungeon)
- A/ H  The Orb of Soran'ruk (Warlock-only)
- A  Seeking the Kor Gem (Paladin-only)
In order to complete every quest in this dungeon, you will need to be at least Level 20 for the Alliance and Level 21 for the Horde.
Quests Started Outside Blackfathom Deeps
The quests for Alliance players which are started outside of the instance are as follows:
- In Search of Thaelrid (requires Level 18) — find Argent Guard Thaelrid in the dungeon. He is located in the southwestern cavern of the Ghamoo-ra area.
- Knowledge in the Deeps (requires Level 10) — collect the Lorgalis Manuscript and return it to the questgiver, Gerrig Bonegrip in Ironforge. This is found in the northern part of the cave of Ghamoo-ra, in a chest underwater.
- Researching the Corruption (requires Level 18) — collect 8 Corrupted Brain Stems from any mobs in the dungeon. This quest is given by Gershala Nightwhisper in Darkshore and is only available after completing The Corruption Abroad, which is started in Stormwind by Argos Nightwhisper.
- Twilight Falls (requires Level 20) — bring 10 Twilight Pendants from any of the Twilight's Hammer mobs in the dungeon to the quest giver, Argent Guard Manados.
In Search of Thaelrid
In Search of Thaelrid is the introduction quest to one of the neutral quests, Blackfathom Villainy and is picked up in Darnassus. It is given by Dawnwatcher Shaedlass in the Craftsmen's Terrace area. This quest can technically be picked up by Horde players as well, as it is given by an NPC of the Argent Dawn, a neutral faction, but they will have to venture into Darnassus to get it. At the recommended levels for completing this quest, this is a huge waste of time and is not recommended in any way. This is why we have classed this quest as Alliance-only.
The questgiver will ask you to venture into Blackfathom Deeps and find Argent Guard Thaelrid, who is found in the southwestern cave of the Ghamoo-ra area. Once you find him, you will receive the second part of the quest chain, which is short, but is listed below.
You will need to be at least Level 18 in order to pick this quest up, but you do not have to complete it in order to pick up the next part of the chain. If you are planning to do the dungeon anyway, you can pick this quest up for experience it rewards, as well as the Argent Dawn reputation.
Knowledge in the Deeps
Knowledge in the Deeps is a quest with an extremely low level requirement for the recommended level of the dungeon it is located in; you only have to be Level 10 to pick this quest up from Gerrig Bonegrip in The Forlorn Cavern of Ironforge.
To complete this quest, you will need to obtain the Lorgalis Manuscript from a chest in the waters surrounding Ghamoo-ra. Swim to the northern part of the cave and loot the chest at the bottom.
Researching the Corruption
Researching the Corruption is given to players that are Level 18 or higher by Gershala Nightwhisper, who is located in Auberdine. It is part of a mini chain that starts in Stormwind.
In order to be able to pick up this quest, you will first need to speak to Argos Nightwhisper in Stormwind and pick up The Corruption Abroad. This quest will send you to Gershala in Auberdine.
To complete the quest, you will need to collect 8 Corrupted Brain Stems, which drop from the mobs within the dungeon.
Twilight Falls requires players to collect 10 Twilight Pendants from the Twilight's Hammer mobs at the end of the dungeon. You can pick this quest up in Darnassus at Level 20 or higher, from Argent Guard Manados in the Craftsmen's Terrace.
It is important to note that, unlike In Search of Thaelrid, which can be picked up by Horde players (it is not recommended to do so), this quest cannot. It is also given by an Argent Dawn NPC, but this quest is Alliance-only.
The following is a summary of the Horde-only quests in the dungeon.
- Allegiance to the Old Gods (requires Level 17) — kill Lorgus Jett in the instance. He is located just after Gelihast in a parallel tunnel. This quest is given by Je'neu Sancrea in Ashenvale, but can only be picked up after finding a Damp Note, which is dropped by Blackfathom Tide Priestess mobs in Ashenvale.
- Amongst the Ruins (requires Level 21) — retrieve the fathom core, which will spawn Baron Aquanis when interacted with. He will drop a quest item, Strange Water Globe, that starts another Horde-exclusive quest.
- The Essence of Aku'Mai (requires Level 17) — collect 20 Sapphire of Aku'Mai, which are located throughout the instance. This quest is given by Je'neu Sancrea in Ashenvale.
Allegiance to the Old Gods
In order to pick up this quest, you will need to complete a small chain that starts with finding a Damp Note.
The Damp Note is found by killing Blackfathom Tide Priestess mobs in Ashenvale. When farming these, beware of pulling large numbers of them, as they have a heal that can become troublesome without adequate CC or burst damage.
Once you have found the note, you will have to take it to Je'neu Sancrea, who is located in Ashenvale, at the Zoram'gar Outpost. Once you speak to him, you will be able to start Allegiance to the Old Gods, which requires you to kill Lorgus Jett in the instance. He is located just after the boss Gelihast in a parallel tunnel.
Note that you cannot start the quest with the Damp Note until you are Level 17.
Amongst the Ruins
Amongst the Ruins is given by the same NPC as Allegiance to the Old Gods, Je'neu Sancrea. He is located in Ashenvale, at the Zoram'gar Outpost, but this quest requires a higher character level than the others. Players will need to be Level 21 to pick this one up.
You will need to retrieve a Fathom Core from the dungeon, which is found at the spawn location of Baron Aquanis. You do not have to kill him to obtain the core, but you should as it gives you Strange Water Globe, which gives you another quest, Baron Aquanis.
Quests Started Inside Blackfathom Deeps
There are no faction specific quests that start inside the dungeon.
Below is a short summary of the neutral quests available to both factions that are started inside the dungeon.
- Blackfathom Villainy (Alliance) /Blackfathom Villainy (Horde) (requires Level 18) — this quest is picked up from Argent Guard Thaelrid. He is found in the southwestern cavern of the Ghamoo-ra area. The quest requires you to kill Twilight Lord Kelris and retrieve his head.
Blackfathom Villainy/Blackfathom Villainy is the only neutral quest that is readily available to all members of both factions. The only requirement is that you are at least Level 18 to pick it up.
The questgiver, Argent Guard Thaelrid is located inside the dungeon, in the area surrounding Ghamoo-ra. You can find him in the southwestern cavern, with the quest being given by the same NPC for both factions.
This quest is technically part of a chain that is accessible to both factions, but it can be difficult to obtain.
The first quest is given by a neutral NPC in Darnassus that is extremely difficult for Horde players to get to and the time invested is simply not worth it. You can just pick up the second quest inside the dungeon as a Horde player, but Alliance players should complete the first quest for the bonus experience and Argent Dawn reputation.
Please refer to our In Search of Thaelrid section for more information.
The second and main quest of the chain requires you to kill Twilight Lord Kelris and bring his head to Dawnwatcher Selgorm in the Craftsmen's Terrace of Darnassus for the Alliance and Bashana Runetotem in the Elder Rise of Thunder Bluff for the Horde.
Class Quests in Blackfathom Deeps
There are class quests for both Paladins and Warlocks in this dungeon, both of which are started outside of the dungeon.
Below is a summary of the quests for each class that are in the dungeon.
- Seeking the Kor Gem (requires Level 20) — Paladins will need to kill elite naga mobs and loot a Corrupted Kor Gem.
- The Orb of Soran'ruk (requires Level 20) — Warlocks will need to kill Twilight Acolytes, which are found at the end of the dungeon, and loot the Soran'ruk Fragments that they need.
Paladin Class Quests in Blackfathom Deeps
Seeking the Kor Gem is part of a long quest chain that takes Paladins through multiple dungeons in pursuit of the materials required to craft Verigan's Fist. The quest is a small part of The Test of Righteousness, which is the main quest that is part of the class quest chain. You can see the full chain below.
- The Tome of Valor
- The Tome of Valor
- The Tome of Valor
- The Tome of Valor
- The Test of Righteousness
- The Test of Righteousness
- The Test of Righteousness
To start this chain, you will need to head to Stormwind City and talk to Duthorian Rall. You can only do this once you have reached Level 20.
Once you reach The Test of Righteousness, you will need to collect a total of 4 items. Only one of these items is found in Blackfathom Deeps, the Purified Kor Gem.
To obtain this gem, Paladins will need to venture to Darkshore and meet Thundris Windweaver just north of Auberdine to pick up Seeking the Kor Gem.
To complete the quest, you will need to loot a Corrupted Kor Gem from the elite nagas in the dungeon. Once you have the corrupted version, take it to Thundris and he will purify it for you, giving you a Purified Kor Gem for The Test of Righteousness.
The other items are found in Loch Modan ( Jordan's Refined Ore Shipment), Shadowfang Keep ( Jordan's Smithing Hammer), and Deadmines ( Whitestone Oak Lumber).
Warlock Class Quests in Blackfathom Deeps
The Orb of Soran'ruk is a far more simple quest than the Paladin class quest, but the questgiver can be tricky to get to as an Alliance player.
Doan Karhan is located in the Barrens, just to the northeast of Camp Taurajo. You can pick up the quest from him as a Level 20 or higher Warlock of both factions.
To complete the quest, you will need to kill Twilight Acolytes at the end of the instance and loot 3 Soran'ruk Fragments.
Unlike the Paladin quest, this is not part of a chain, but players will still need to venture to another dungeon to complete it. For the other material required, Large Soran'ruk Fragment, players will have to head to Shadowfang Keep.
Notable Quest Loot in Blackfathom Deeps
|Arctic Buckler||Blackfathom Villainy||Off Hand|
|Gravestone Scepter||Blackfathom Villainy||Wand|
|Outlaw Sabre||Baron Aquanis||Weapon|
|Witch's Finger||Baron Aquanis||Off Hand|
|Verigan's Fist||The Test of Righteousness||Weapon|
- 07 Nov. 2019: Removed mention of Trouble in the Deeps.
- 18 Sep. 2019: Guide added.
Classic Leveling Guides
Classic Dungeon Guides
Classic Profession Guides
- Blizzard Discusses WoW Token in Classic
- WoW Token Added to Wrath Classic
- Wrath Classic Joyous Journeys 50% Experience Buff Is Back!
- Wrath Classic Patch 3.4.2 PTR Notes: May 18th
- Death Heat Map for Hardcore Characters and Their Killers
- BlizzCon 2023 in Coming on Nov 3-4
- Blizzard Announces Hardcore Classic
- Icy Veins is Getting a New Look