Classic Enhancement Shaman DPS Guide
Welcome to our Enhancement Shaman DPS guide for WoW Classic, tailored for PvE content. Here, you will learn how all you need to know to play the Shaman class as Enhancement DPS. Click the links below to navigate the guide or read this page for a short introduction.
Shamans are, arguably, the best support class in WoW Classic. With their powerful and flexible totems, such as Windfury Totem, Tremor Totem and Poison Cleansing Totem, they keep their allies safe and increase their damage potential significantly.
While only Horde players can be Shamans, every group will benefit immensely from having at least one, and due to totems only being able to affect one group at a time, a 40 man raid will want to have at least 8 Shamans to have totems in every group.
This guide will be covering Enhancement Shamans, the Windfury Weapon high rollers of WoW Classic and, arguably, the best support spec for melee in the game with Improved Weapon Totems and Enhancing Totems being a staple of its talent tree. They also make for great users of the debuffing weapons Annihilator and Nightfall in the later phases.
Enhancement Shaman Strengths
- Great burst damage potential with Windfury Weapon, Stormstrike and Earth Shock. While Enhancement is primarily a melee spec, it can also do significant damage from range when needed.
- Totems for every type of situation, which will always be buffed by Improved Weapon Totems and Enhancing Totems, making them the most powerful a melee player can have.
- Great support tools even outside of totems, such as Earth Shock and Purge, which contribute to the high skill cap of the class.
Enhancement Shaman Weaknesses
- Weak sustained damage-dealing potential due to its attacks having a much larger cooldown than those of a Warrior / Rogue.
- Mana hungry, especially while leveling, which forces you to rest or drink often.
- Squishy and has no real escapes once focused.
Best Races for Enhancement Shamans
Unlike other classes, Shamans can only be played in the Horde faction, so plan accordingly and search for a Horde guild if you want to roll one.
Orc Enhancement Shamans
- Axe Specialization increases your skill with axes by 5, which increases your chance to land a blow on a target with axes.
- Blood Fury is a 2-minute cooldown that increases your base melee attack power by 25% for 15 seconds and reduces healing effects on you by 50% for 25 seconds.
- Command increases your pet damage by 5%.
- Hardiness increases your chance to resist stuns by 25%.
Orc is the best race choice for Enhancement Shamans. In PvP, Hardiness allows you to often ignore stun effects. This is a deal-breaker effect, especially against Rogues. In PvE, Axe Specialization and Blood Fury are incredible bonuses to have as a melee DPS, granting you a much better chance to hit bosses with axes and a DPS cooldown.
Tauren Enhancement Shamans
- Cultivation increases your Herbalism skill by 15.
- Endurance increases your total health by 5%.
- Nature Resistance increases your Nature Resistance by 10.
- War Stomp is a 2-minute cooldown that stuns up to 5 enemies within 8 yards for 2 seconds, with a 0.5 second cast time.
- Due to their large sizes, Tauren have a larger hitbox than other races, which allows you to hit, and be hit from further afar. This can be great when trying to chase a target or problematic when trying to flee from melee enemies.
War Stomp can be a great ability for PvP, allowing you to get Lesser Healing Wave off in an emergency, and the 5% increased health from Endurance is nice. The increased hitbox range is also good for a melee character, allowing you to hit enemy players from further away. Overall, Tauren is a decent all-rounder choice if you dislike Orc.
Troll Enhancement Shamans
- Beast Slaying gives a 5% damage bonus against Beasts.
- Berserking is a 3-minute cooldown that gives you between 10-30% increased attack and casting speed depending on your health, with the effect being greater the more hurt you are.
- Bow Specialization increases your skill with Bows by 5, which increases your chance to hit with a bow.
- Regeneration gives +10% passive health regeneration and allows you to regenerate 10% of your total health regeneration during combat.
Berserking makes Trolls a decent choice, as it increases your attack and cast speed significantly when used, especially if you were low health. Unfortunately, none of the other bonuses is very impactful, and Orc has some really good bonuses, so only pick Troll if you like its aesthetics.
Best Professions for Enhancement Shamans
The best profession for Enhancement Shamans who care about maximizing their performance in combat is Engineering.
Any of the other professions is fine for the second primary profession slot, but Mining synergizes the best with Engineering, allowing you to farm materials to feed it.
If you wish to learn more about the available professions in WoW Classic we recommend that you read our profession guides.
- 17 Nov. 2019 (gear page): Added raid gear best in slot lists.
- 15 Nov. 2019 (gear page): Guide is now Phase 2 ready and added a Totem Twisting pre-raid best in slot list.
- 09 Oct. 2019 (enchants page): Elixir of Giants is now recommended on the essential consumables list.
- 29 Sep. 2019 (enchants page): Added a shortlist with the essential consumables for Enhancement Shamans, ranked by price vs effectiveness.
- 27 Aug. 2019 (talents page): Clarified that the intent of these builds is first and foremost to provide the best raid support possible.
- 27 Aug. 2019 (this page): Added a section for each race to make the guide easier to read.
- 24 Aug. 2019 (spells page): Reworked spell structure to place the critical spells on the start and make a generic section out of the rest.
- 24 Aug. 2019 (this page): Improved the professions section, adding more details, item links and tips.
- 19 Aug. 2019 (enchants page): Page added.
- 19 Aug. 2019 (stats page): Page added.
- 19 Aug. 2019 (rotation page): Page added.
- 19 Aug. 2019 (talents page): Page added.
- 19 Aug. 2019 (spells page): Page added.
- 19 Aug. 2019 (this page): Added Enhancement Shaman guide.
- 19 Aug. 2019 (gear page): Page added.
- Phase 3, Patch 1.13.3 Known Issues List: Dec 10th
- Warsong Gulch Vendor Details and Clarification
- Warsong Gulch and Alterac Valley Guides and Official Preview
- WoW Classic Honor Calculation Bug Update: December 9th
- Classic Phase 3 and Patch 1.13.3 Notes
- Why Diablo 2 Still Holds Up After 20 Years - Book Excerpt
- BlizzCon Winning Cosplays Interview
- Detailed Honor System Clarifications and Stats Issues Addressed