WoW Classic Subtlety Rogue Leveling Talent Build from 1 to 60
On this page, you will find our Level by Level Subtlety Rogue leveling guide for WoW Classic. Make sure to use the slider to make the guide adapt to your level. For more general leveling information, please refer to our Rogue leveling guide. We also have a Sword Rogue leveling guide.
If you were looking for TBC Classic advice, please refer to our TBC Classic Combat Rogue leveling guide.
Subtlety Rogue Level by Level Rotation, Talents, and Trainer Skills
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talent Tree for Leveling up as a Subtlety Rogue
Your first talent unlocks at Level 10.
- Levels 10 & 14 — 5 points in Opportunity
- Levels 15 to 19 — 5 points in Camouflage
- Levels 17 to 19 — 3 points in Improved Gouge
- Levels 20 to 21 — 1 points in Ghostly Strike
- Levels 22 to 24 — 3 points in Improved Ambush
- Levels 25 to 27 — 3 points in Serrated Blades
- Levels 27 to 29 — 2 points in Improved Sap
- Levels 30 & 31 — 1 points in Hemorrhage
- Levels 31 & 32 — 1 points in Preparation
- Levels 32 to 33 — 1 points in Improved Sap
- Levels 34 to 35 — 2 point in Heightened Senses
- Levels 35 to 39 — 5 point in Deadliness
- Level 40 & 41 — 2 points in Remorseless Attacks
- Levels 42 & 46 — 5 points in Malice
- Levels 46 to 48 — 3 points in Murder
- Levels 49 — 1 point in Improved Eviscerate
- Level 50 — 1 point in Relentless Strikes
- Levels 51 to 52 — 2 points in Improved Eviscerate
- Levels 52 & 57 — 5 points in Lethality
- Levels 58 to 59 — 2 point in Vile Poisons
- Levels 60 — 1 points in Cold Blood
Rotation for Leveling up as a Subtlety Rogue
Rotation for Leveling up as a Subtlety Rogue
- Use Eviscerate at 5 combo points.
- Use Ambush to initiate combat whenever possible and you are stealthed.
- Use Ghostly Strike on cool down.
- Use Backstab to initiate combat if you cannot stealth and to build combo points.
- Use Gouge whenever you can in order to minimize the damage that you will take. You can pool Energy, use Gouge, then go behind your target to Backstab them.
- Use Vanish if your threat is too high and you are in danger of pulling aggro.
- Use Sinister Strike to build combo points if you cannot get behind your target until you learn Hemorrhage which will replace Sinister Strike.
- Use Slice and Dice if the target is about to die and you will be switching to a different target.
Summary of Trainer Skills for Subtlety Rogue
- At Level 4, buy Backstab and Stealth, which pair well together, since Stealth allows you to open up on aggressive mobs using Backstab.
- At Level 6, buy Rank 2 Sinister Strike, and Gouge, which is your first CC ability and is great when paired with Backstab.
- At Level 8, buy Evasion and Rank 2 Eviscerate. Evasion is a great emergency survivability cooldown.
- At Level 10, buy Slice and Dice, Sprint, and Sap. Slice and Dice is used early in leveling with 1 combo point since mobs will not survive long enough to warrant more combo points used. This changes if you are doing a dungeon or a boss. Since you do not have a mount before Level 40, Sprint is a great mobility cooldown that cuts down on your travel time. Sap is a strong CC ability that allows you to safely pull Humanoids that are grouped together.
- At Level 12, buy Rank 2 Backstab. Also, buy Parry and Kick
- At Level 14, buy Rank 3 Sinister Strike.
- At Level 16, buy Rank 3 Eviscerate and Feint.
- At Level 18, buy Rank 1 Ambush.
- At Level 20, buy Rank 2 Stealth, Rank 3 Backstab and Crippling Poison. Make sure you purchase your Instant Poison as well.
- At Level 22, buy Rank 4 Sinister Strike. If you have money to spare, also buy Distract and Vanish.
- At Level 24, buy Rank 4 Eviscerate.
- At Level 26, buy Rank 2 Ambush, Cheap Shot. If you have extra money, then buy Rank 2 Kick.
- At Level 28, buy Rank 4 Backstab and Rank 2 Instant Poison.
- At Level 30, buy Rank 5 Sinister Strike, Deadly Poison and, if you are on a PvP server, it is recommended that you buy Kidney Shot.
- At Level 32, buy Rank 5 Eviscerate. If you have the money, then buy Wound Poison.
- At Level 34, buy Rank 3 Ambush, Rank 2 Sprint, Blinding Powder, and Blind.
- At Level 36, buy Rank 5 Backstab and Rank 3 Instant Poison.
- At Level 38, buy Rank 6 Sinister Strike and Rank 2 Deadly Poison.
- At Level 40, buy Rank 6 Eviscerate. If you have extra money, then buy Rank 2 Feint, Rank 2 Wound Poison, and Rank 3 Stealth for the decreased movement speed penalty.
- At Level 42, buy Rank 7 Backstab, Rank 4 Ambush, Rank 2 Vanish, and Rank 3 Kick if you have the extra money for either ability. The last two are not required as upgrades.
- At Level 44, buy Rank 6 Backstab and Rank 4 Instant Poison.
- At Level 46, buy Rank 7 Sinister Strike and Rank 3 Deadly Poison.
- At Level 48, buy Rank 7 Eviscerate. If you have extra gold, then buy Rank 3 Wound Poison.
- At Level 50, buy Rank 5 Ambush, Rank 2 Crippling Poison, and, if you bought Kidney Shot, buy the Rank 2 version now.
- At Level 52, buy Rank 5 Instant Poison.
- At Level 54, buy Rank 8 Sinister Strike and Rank 4 Deadly Poison.
- At Level 56, buy Rank 8 Eviscerate and Rank 4 Wound Poison.
- At Level 58, buy Rank 6 Ambush, Rank 3 Sprint, and, if you have extra gold, buy Rank 4 Kick.
- At Level 60, buy Rank 8 Backstab, Rank 6 Instant Poison, and Rank 4 Stealth.
At level 16 your class trainer will offer you a quest to unlock the Pick Lock skill.
Rogue Quests and Weapons
While leveling, you will want to always be on the lookout for ranged upgrades. Most of your damage will dome from Auto Attacks and certain abilities will scale off of your weapon damage, meaning a weapon upgrade will increase your kill speed by substantially more than any other upgrade. Rogues also get a huge power spike when they complete their level 20 class quest and get access to Poisons and Thistle Tea, which will be very strong for leveling. Below are links to our guides on Weapons and Class Quests for Rogues.
How to advance as a Rogue at Level 60
Well done on hitting maximum level in WoW Classic! Now that leveling is over, you can learn more about level 60 gameplay by reading our DPS Rogue Guide, which covers every facet of gameplay at 60 in detail.
The best individual pages to read through are as follows.
- The DPS Rogue Talent builds guide has the best builds for Level 60 covered. We propose builds for all specializations, with a focus on Combat for raiding.
- Our PvP Rogue guide is where you can find the best PvP builds for Rogue.
- Goldmaking Guide for Rogues is a page with details on where / how to farm gold quickly as a Rogue when you are Level 60.
- The DPS Rogue Rotation guide is where you can read on how to optimize your PvE damage and how to prioritize your abilities.
- DPS Rogue Stats guide contains detailed information on all Rogue stats, including a list of their priority for damage dealing.
- Our Gear guide for DPS Rogues lists all the optimal pieces of gear that you will want to farm at Level 60, in order to optimize your damage with a pre-BiS list for those trying to gear up for raiding.
- 02 Oct. 2023: Page added.
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: December 4th
- SoD Metamorphosis Rune Changes Coming Today or Tomorrow
- Blizzard on Warlock's Metamorphosis Rune Acquisition
- Professions Capped at 150 Skill in Season of Discovery Phase 1
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj Open on Season of Discovery Realms
- Metamorphosis Rune Found in Season of Discovery
- SoD Runes Do Not Work When Equipment Breaks
- World First Season of Discovery Blackfathom Deeps Raid Clear