FORUMS
Lemon1

Saviors of Uldum: Three New Cards Revealed

ZzsIMxo.png

EVIL Recruiter, Riftcleaver and Desert Obelisk are the latest cards to be revealed from Saviors of Uldum.

German Youtuber Thanh has just posted his card reveal for Saviors of Uldum: EVIL Recruiter! Two other cards were also revealed last night, one on the Japanese website Gamewatch and one on Reddit.

EVIL RecruiterRiftcleaverDesert Obelisk

EVIL Recruiter is Thanh's reveal - it's the Lackey synergy card for Warlock that was hinted at back when Weaponized Wasp was released. It's a lot of stats for not a lot of Mana, so it seems like a shoe-in for Zoolock. Check out the full German reveal video below:

Riftcleaver is another addition to Warlock, revealed by Gamewatch. It's a hard removal option which calls to mind Vilespine SlayerOmega Devastator and the Death Knight token spell Obliterate. All of those cards were and are extremely strong, so it's in good company. Its power comes at a hefty price though, especially if you're using it to destroy massive Minions like Mountain Giant.

Desert Obelisk is the last card we have to share with you this morning. It asks you to complete the small puzzle of getting three copies onto the board if you want to make use of it. Achieve this, and it will start eating away at your opponent's board and Health total fairly rapidly. It seems a little steeply costed at 5 Mana, but it's a fun deck-building challenge.

The honour of revealing Desert Obelisk went to /u/Scarlas, who was the first to solve a treasure trail left by /u/SecretsOfUldum. Here's how he did it:

How I solved it: /u/SecretsOfUldum made a post titled "7a 62 70 65 68 74 7a 76 66 63 67 67 75 74 61 63 58 6c 34 76 6b 70 72 20".

Converting to ascii gives "zbpehtzvfcggutacXl4vkpr".

I applied rot13 to get "mocrugmisptthgnpKy4ixce"

Reversing and rotating gives "httpsimgurcomecxi4yKpng"

Finally, I added some punctuation to get "https://imgur.com/ecxi4yK.png"

(Source)

Simple, right?

Check out our Saviors of Uldum hub for more info on the next expansion and every card revealed so far.

Evil Recruiter looks pretty much like an auto-include in every Warlock deck with lackey synergy. 8/8 worth of stats and a lackey's battlecry for 4 mana? Sign me in!

Riftcleaver fits the theme of Warlock considering his own life as yet another resource, but I'm a bit dubitative. Sure it's a massive tempo swing getting a huge threat on the board while removing your opponent's, but the minions you want hard removal for are also the ones that'll hurt you. A lot.

Desert Obelsik I find hard to evaluate. The threat of a potential massive amount ofdamage is real, but having to duplicate 0/5 minions AND have them stick on the board somehow... I dont know. Obviously, there's always Aviana - Kun the Forgotten King shenanigans in wild, but that seems like so much effort for very little practical gain. 

• Like 1

Are we sure about the English name "EVIL Recruiter"? The German word "Beschwörerin" would rather translate to "Summoner". Also, EVIL Recruiter sounds confusingly similar to EVIL Conscripter which already exists. Furthermore, in some languages (like French) both would even translate to the same name.

24 minutes ago, Smorod said:

Are we sure about the English name "EVIL Recruiter"? The German word "Beschwörerin" would rather translate to "Summoner". Also, EVIL Recruiter sounds confusingly similar to EVIL Conscripter which already exists. Furthermore, in some languages (like French) both would even translate to the same name.

Yup, EVIL Recruiter is the name of the card as listed on the official Hearthstone site - localisation can be a funny business. Summoner would make more sense to me as well for what it's worth!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keizoku said:

Desert Obelsik I find hard to evaluate.

That will all depend of what tools we are given to support such a deck. Right now I don't see it in Standard, but some classes have at least preliminary support:

Druid has Gloop Sprayer

Mage has Archmage Arugal, Splitting Image and Hex Lord Malacrass (Power of Creation missed by 1 mana, sigh)

Priest has Spirit of the Dead, Seance, Vivid Nightmare and Power Word: Replicate

Rogue has Lab Recruiter, Togwaggle's Scheme and Tak Nozwhisker

Shaman has Eureka!

And for all classes there is Baleful Banker, Augmented Elekk, Dollmaster Dorian and Faceless Manipulator. I believe Rogue has the best cards but it would have to go control which isn't its strength. So maybe Priest has more chances, as it is much better at stalling the game, and doesn't have any strong deck at the moment anyway, so... But we need at least one more strong card to support the concept.

Meanwhile I can't wait to see a video of a Mage with Khadgar getting 4 copies of Desert Obelisk from Conjurer's Calling 😄 Also we could see fun Tavern Brawl decks using that card at some point.

Edited by Smorod
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lemon1 said:

Yup, EVIL Recruiter is the name of the card as listed on the official Hearthstone site

OK, thanks. Well Blizzard had changed a few card names recently so I suppose it could still change even after the release if they realize it causes too much confusion.

Maybe the German name is different exactly because the straightforward translation would be confusing, in which case they may use the same tactics for the French translation and we will have a "summoner" too.

1 hour ago, Smorod said:

That will all depend of what tools we are given to support such a deck. Right now I don't see it in Standard, but some classes have at least preliminary support:

Druid has Gloop Sprayer

Mage has Archmage Arugal, Splitting Image and Hex Lord Malacrass (Power of Creation missed by 1 mana, sigh)

Priest has Spirit of the Dead, Seance, Vivid Nightmare and Power Word: Replicate

Rogue has Lab Recruiter, Togwaggle's Scheme and Tak Nozwhisker

Shaman has Eureka!

And for all classes there is Baleful Banker, Augmented Elekk, Dollmaster Dorian and Faceless Manipulator. I believe Rogue has the best cards but it would have to go control which isn't its strength. So maybe Priest has more chances, as it is much better at stalling the game, and doesn't have any strong deck at the moment anyway, so... But we need at least one more strong card to support the concept.

The real problem is that most of those cards only get you more copies in hand or deck, and you need them in play all at once. Which will be problematic with their cost of 5, and a 0/5 chances of survival.

Some weird Miracle Priest hybrid based on Princess Talanji, maybe. Play the original tower, get a bunch of copies in hand (through deck if necessary), dump a bunch of them with Talanji. I'll give it a shot when it launches if I pull an Obelisk, just for fun. 

Barring some way to make obelisks stealth or such, i can't see them being used.    Maybe if you only needed two of them?   

Desert Obelisk is just unplayable because even if you ever achieve to have 3 of them if the opponent destroy one all the others become useless ...

also 5 random dmg is just horrible you coulda end hit a 1/1 with 5 dmg than have your Obelisk killed the turn after...

also the cost 5? for a 0/5? It doesn't even have a spell immunity... and right now with all the rushes it will be hard if you even have 1 on the board.

The warlock cards are both good but has synergy with 3 of the lackeys since the one that require rush and the one that transform will be wasted if you have no board... still is a 3/3 + 5/5 for 4 mana making the waste not to cry about.

The 7/5 is a massive swing againt cards like Ysera that have high cost and low atk... essential bury every hope of Divine Spirit priest as soon as you kill a 9+ hp minion dropping a 7/5 as a parting gift

1 hour ago, Hanz39 said:

The 7/5 is a massive swing againt cards like Ysera that have high cost and low atk...

You take damage based on Health not Attack, so low attack doesn't really help. I don't think I would want to take 12 face damage to remove Ysera. Would work well on a Leeroy Jenkins though.

5 hours ago, Lemon1 said:

Yup, EVIL Recruiter is the name of the card as listed on the official Hearthstone site - localisation can be a funny business. Summoner would make more sense to me as well for what it's worth!

Blizzards german localisations are almost unbearable ("Höllschrei"). I doubt that many thoughts went into translating recruiter to Beschwörer. The direct translation "Rekrutierer" would be possible, but very unusual. So they went with sth. they knew that kinda fits the mechanic, but not the flavour of the original. Pretty lame.

On 7/22/2019 at 7:15 PM, Smorod said:

You take damage based on Health not Attack, so low attack doesn't really help. I don't think I would want to take 12 face damage to remove Ysera. Would work well on a Leeroy Jenkins though.

I really thought was atk... well taking damage based on health is pretty bad since it is good only to kill off 1 hp minions with big atk but warlock has plenty AoE.

The only reason to play this is the body + removing something that won't kill you doing so (so I guess not Ysera) like a 5 hp target that is outside of other removals range. If you can land his 7 dmg to the enemy face you made up for the hp otherwise was just a bad deal