FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Detailed List of Nerfed AoE Abilities in Shadowlands

SxBO63C.jpg

Blizzard revisited the maximum number of targets that many abilities can hit in Shadowlands which results in nerfs to many AoE abilities.

AoE Nerfs Reasoning

The main incentive for the nerf came from Blizzard as they observed that large pulls have become a prevalent tactic in much of the game, which has made it difficult for many classes to find a clear role.

They would like to see melee classes excel in situations with 4-5 targets and ranged casters perform better against 5 or more targets.

Blizzard Logo(Source)

We’ve definitely heard a lot of feedback from players that bursting down larger and larger pulls has become an overly dominant tactic in much of the game. This is particularly evident in questing and dungeons, which has made it difficult for many classes to find a clear role.

While there are a number of variables contributing to this trend, high burst area of effect (AOE) damage against an unlimited number of targets has made it increasingly possible for players to take down large groups of enemies without the players ever facing a proportionate level of danger. In Shadowlands, we’re looking at changes that would broaden the field of tactical options, and in the process, more clearly differentiate the strengths of classes in a variety of AOE situations.

For example, we’d like to see Outlaw Rogues or Fury Warriors excel in situations with 4 to 5 targets in close proximity to each other, while ranged casters like Frost Mages or Affliction Warlocks perform better in sustained damage against groups of 5 or more targets. To accomplish this, we need to revisit the maximum number of targets that many abilities can hit (also known as the ability’s “target cap”), and adjust them accordingly. In situations where a target cap doesn’t make sense, we’re adding a new kind of damage falloff that causes the damage done to each target to be reduced gradually as the number of targets increases.

Most players who are used to fighting 3 to 5 enemies at a time will notice very little difference with this approach. On the other hand, players who are accustomed to pulling 10-20 enemies at a time will experience longer, more threatening engagements. Sustained AOE damage may become an equally viable option in that situation, but both approaches will put significantly more pressure on the group to survive.

AoE Ability Changes

And so we looked at the tooltips and compared retail with the latest Shadowlands Alpha Build 34137 and found all the affected abilities. Note that some have been buffed to compensate for the nerfs.

Death Knight

Blood

• Consumption Consumption - Strikes all up to 8 enemies in front of you with a hungering attack that deals 0 Physical damage and heals you for 100% 150% of that damage.

Frost

• Frostscythe Frostscythe - A sweeping attack that strikes all up to 5 enemies in front of you for [ 14% of Attack Power ] Frost damage. This attack benefits from Killing Machine. Critical strikes with Frostscythe deal 4 times normal damage.

Demon Hunter

Havoc

• Blade Dance Blade Dance - Strike all 5 nearby enemies for [ 60% of Attack Power ] Physical damage, and increase your chance to dodge by 100% for 1 sec. Strike your primary target for [ 141% of Attack Power ] Physical damage, all damage and 5 nearby enemies for [ 60% of Attack Power ] Physical damage, and increase your chance to dodge by 100% for 1 sec.
    • Cooldown increased to 15 seconds (from 9 seconds).

Druid

Feral

• Brutal Slash Brutal Slash - Strikes all up to 5 nearby enemies with a massive slash, inflicting [ 69% of Attack Power ] Physical damage.

Hunter

Beast Mastery / Marksmanship

• Barrage Barrage - Rapidly fires a spray of shots for 3 sec, dealing an average of [ 156.2% of Attack Power ] Physical damage to all up to 8 enemies in front of you. Usable while moving.

Beast Mastery

• Beast Cleave Beast Cleave - After you Multi-Shot, your pet's melee attacks also strike all up to 5 other nearby enemy targets for 75% as much for the next 4 sec.

Marksmanship

• Explosive Shot Explosive Shot - Fires an explosive shot at your target. After 3 sec, the shot will explode, dealing [ 131.04% [ 188.5% of Attack Power ] Fire damage to all up to 6 enemies within 8 yards.
  • Multi-Shot Multi-Shot is now limited to 5 target (s).

Survival

• Butchery Butchery -  Attack all up to 5 nearby enemies in a flurry of strikes, inflicting  [ 80% [ 88% of Attack Power ] Physical damage to each. Reduces the remaining cooldown on Wildfire Bomb by 1 sec for each target hit, up to 5. hit.
  • Carve Carve - A sweeping attack that strikes all up to 5 enemies in front of you for [ 28% of Attack Power ] Physical damage

Paladin

Retribution

• Divine Storm Divine Storm - Unleashes a whirl of divine energy, dealing [ 111.4% [ 134% of Attack Power ] Holy damage to all up to 5 nearby enemies.

Rogue

• Blade Flurry Blade Flurry - Causes Flourish your weapons, striking all nearby enemies for [ 60% of Attack Power ] Physical damage. For the next 12 sec, your single target attacks to also strike all up to 4 additional nearby enemies for 30% 50% of normal damage for 12 sec. damage.

Outlaw

• Blade Flurry Blade Flurry - Causes your single target attacks to also strike all up to 4 nearby enemies for 30% 40% of normal damage for 12 sec.
    • The ability now has only one charge (down from 2) and a 30 sec cooldown (up from 25 sec recharge).
  • Killing Spree Killing Spree - While Blade Flurry is active, also hits all up to 4 nearby enemies for 100% damage.

Subtlety

• Secret Technique Secret Technique - Finishing move that creates shadow clones of yourself. You and your shadow clones each perform a piercing attack on all up to 6 enemies near your target, dealing Physical damage to the primary target and reduced damage to other targets.
  • Shuriken Storm Shuriken Storm - Sprays shurikens at all up to 8 targets within 10 yards, dealing [ 16.2% of Attack Power + 16.2% of Off-hand Attack Power ] Physical damage. Damage increased by 50% while Stealth or Shadow Dance is active. Critical strikes with Shuriken Storm apply Find Weakness for 8 sec.

Warrior

• Ravager Ravager - Throws a whirling weapon at the target location that inflicts [ 309.6% [ 296.8% of Attack Power ] damage to all up to 8 enemies within 8 yards over 7 sec.

Arms

• Cleave Cleave - Strikes all up to 5 enemies in front of you with a sweeping attack for [ 45% [ 157% of Attack Power ] Physical damage. Hitting damage, inflicting Deep Wounds. Only usable after Whirlwind hits 3 or more targets inflicts Deep Wounds. targets.
    • No longer has a 9 sec cooldown.
  • Ravager Ravager - Throws a whirling weapon at the target location that inflicts [ 309.6% [ 296.8% of Attack Power ] damage to all up to 8 enemies within 8 yards over 7 sec.

Fury

• Whirlwind Whirlwind - Unleashes a whirlwind of steel, striking all up to 5 nearby enemies within 8 yards for [ 43.5% [ 41.1% of Attack Power ] Physical damage. Causes your next 2 single-target melee attacks to strike up to 4 additional targets for 50% damage. Generates 3 Rage, plus an additional 1 per target hit. Maximum 8 Rage.
    • Now costs 30 Rage.
  • Whirlwind Off-Hand Whirlwind Off-Hand - Unleashes a whirlwind of steel, striking all up to 5 nearby enemieswithin 8 yards for [ 43.5% [ 41.1% of Attack Power ] Physical damage.
    • Causes your next 2 single-target melee attacks to strike up to 4 additional targets for 50% damage. Generates 3 Rage, plus an additional 1 per target hit. Maximum 8 Rage.

Protection

• Ravager Ravager - Throws a whirling weapon at the target location that inflicts [ 309.6% [ 296.8% of Attack Power ] damage to all up to 8 enemies within 8 yards over 7 sec. Also increases your Parry chance by 35% for 12 sec.

More Class Changes

You can find out more class changes coming in Shadowlands by visiting the links below.

6D5HKWY2GULD1465340163386.png Death Knight KONFY3G21NRT1465340163602.png Mage 4K4NG17DH5OC1465340163651.png Rogue

Death Knight 9.0.1 Class Changes

Mage 9.0.1 Class Changes

Rogue 9.0.1 Class Changes

742W2C4VQJ651465340163518.png Demon Hunter MD3875H6PEN31465340163613.png Monk TGVJ0Y6O051R1465340163670.png Shaman

Demon Hunter 9.0.1 Class Changes

Monk 9.0.1 Class Changes

Shaman 9.0.1 Class Changes

BIML5YS7P8XA1465340163522.png Druid FTPZBBV8LWHM1465340163625.png Paladin Y65BR5SJIAKM1465340163689.png Warlock

Druid 9.0.1 Class Changes

Paladin 9.0.1 Class Changes

Warlock 9.0.1 Class Changes

3AP8QPDFMH191465340163595.png Hunter MMF2M70OD4PY1465340163646.png Priest Q21ASBT2SDXX1465340163697.png Warrior

Hunter 9.0.1 Class Changes

Priest 9.0.1 Class Changes

Warrior 9.0.1 Class Changes

4z99v04.jpg?1

Latest Shadowlands News

Classes Leveling

All Covenant Class Abilities

Covenant Signature and Class Ability Upgrades

Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 34081 Class Changes

Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 34081 Covenant Ability Changes

Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 34137 Class Changes

Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 34137 Covenant Ability Changes

All Shadowlands Class Changes

Frost Mage Winter's Chill Changes: April 10th

Druid Class Changes Clarifications: April 13th

Druid/Shaman/Warrior Class Changes: April 16th

Hunter Stable Size Increased in Shadowlands

Class Buffs Nerfed in Shadowlands

Allied Races No Longer Require Grinding Reputation to Exalted

Draenor & Legion Pathfinder Removal

Death Knights and Demon Hunters Start at Level 8 in Shadowlands

Exile's Reach Starting Zone (Official Preview)

Leveling from 1-50 Took 7 Hours on Alpha

Flying Available at Level 25 in Shadowlands

Legion Legendaries Disabled in Shadowlands

Level Requirements for Unlocking Talents in Shadowlands

Quest Interface Improvements Coming in Shadowlands

Datamining Misc

Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 33978

Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 33978 Creature Models

Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 33978 Mounts: Part 1

Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 33978 Mounts: Part 2

Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 33978 Mounts: Part 3

Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 34137: Flying Updates

Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 34137: New Horde Race Intro Descriptions

Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 34137: New Models

All Covenant Armor Sets

Potential Allied Races Coming in Shadowlands

Optional Crafting Reagents in Shadowlands

Runeforging Updates: New Death Knight Runes

Ardenweald Faun NPC Customization Options

Bastion Kyrian NPC Customization Options

Night Fae Covenant Back Attachments

Kyrian Covenant Back Attachments

Kael'thas Sunstrider in Shadowlands (Spoilers)

Nathanos Blightcaller in Shadowlands (Spoilers)

Sprite Darter's Cosmetic Armor Set Preview

Dying in the Shadowlands

Controller Support Coming in Shadowlands

Eye of the Jailer Mechanic in the Maw

Icecrown Skybox Updated for Shadowlands

Item Level Squish in Shadowlands

Unread Mail Indicator on Character Selection Screen

New Graphic Options in Shadowlands

New Character Creation Screen in Shadowlands

NPCs React to Your Presence in Shadowlands

Shadowlands World & Zone Maps

Development Updates PvP

Initial Shadowlands Developer Update

Shadowlands Development Update Notes: April 9th

Shadowlands Development Update Notes: April 16th

Torghast Changes: April 22nd

PvP Vendors Return in Shadowlands

Interviews Zone Previews

No War/Titanforging or Corrupted Items in Shadowlands: Ion Hazzikostas Interview

Lore Interview with Lead Narrative Designer Steve Danuser

Torghast Interview with Senior Quest Designer Paul Kubit

Bastion & Kyrian Covenant (Official Preview)

Revendreth & Venthyr Covenant (Official Preview)

Bastion Zone Screenshots

Revendreth Zone Screenshots

The Necrotic Wake Dungeon

Torghast, Tower of the Damned Official Preview

Torghast, Tower of the Damned Sample Run

Orgrimmar & Stormwind Changes in Shadowlands

Wow......i hope they alter the AoE makeup of the enemies to compensate for these changes, but i am also sure players will be adjusting who can and can't do raids due to these changes....not sure why you can't just play a class and do all the content without elitists getting in the way.

I'm so sad about those change, I love the idea of trash being... trash, like when you have in front of titanic boss hundred of minions to smash, it feel so good.. trash boss of maut, vexiona or hivemind feels good, trash should not be "mini-boss" 

I, for one, am fine with this. The total power creep of the game today compared to way back when has created an environment where people pull immense mobs in either dungeons, raids, or in the outside world through questing, and smashes them down with just pure AOE abilities. Albeit it's fun to see all those numbers, but I wanna see a challenge too, even if it's just trash mobs.

• Like 6

Honestly. if you see "limit 5 targets" and think "OH CHRIST THAT'S JUST NOT ENOUGH!" then all I can say to you is Classic WoW Frost Mage is just a click on the launcher away. 

Hm... no tank abilities.
Curious, they will remain uncapped, but with severe damage reduction/threat buff, I take it? Or back to Classic with it.
And I guess they want to make a distinction of casters being the actual 'AoE' specs, and non-casters being rebalanced into cleave damage? Or a mixture of both, since I don't see Eye Beam there.

Edited by Teufel

2 hours ago, Teufel said:

Or a mixture of both, since I don't see Eye Beam there.

I was wondering the same for fist of fury / spining crane kick for my little monkey.

7 hours ago, Resnar said:

trash boss of maut, vexiona or hivemind feels good, trash should not be "mini-boss"

Yep the FPS-Drop to 10 or less FPS for many players definitely feels good.

Edited by Baharok
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Baharok said:

Yep the FPS-Drop to 10 or less FPS for many players definitely feels good.

Imagine being so badass that your computer crash.. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, TyZone said:

My initial reaction to these nerfs is "aw great running old raids will take me a few extra seconds now."

Drat, hadn't even thought of that. Seems like warriors are getting hit by it pretty hard, too, which is a shame because they're the best for transmog.

Thats just stupid, i wonder how you will do old raids and content now. Also when im Lvling a strong Class i sometimes pull a lot mobs and decimate them on cooldowns. These changes take away fun. The game starts to suck more and more, youre not allowed to play and have fun. YOU NEED TO PLAY THE ONLY RIGHT WAY WE TELL YOU TO!

Edited by Dvanom

11 hours ago, Manbearpig said:

I guess Unholy DKs will rejoice that they will still be the most op class for the MDI in Shadowlands?

These are probably not the entire list, a couple of specs missing, like WW or Enh (though I imagine their cleave will be Maelstrom-Chain Lightning). Also, Unholy does feel a lot more like a caster spec, especially with Clawing Shadows, so it'd make sense - though I think their scaling with the number of targets needs to be reworked.
...or they stay like they are, and end up in a unique niche like BMs with their 'ranged with complete mobility'.

Demon Hunter

Havoc

Blade Dance - Strike all 5 nearby enemies for [ 60% of Attack Power ] Physical damage, and increase your chance to dodge by 100% for 1 sec. Strike your primary target for [ 141% of Attack Power ] Physical damage, all damage and 5 nearby enemies for [ 60% of Attack Power ] Physical damage, and increase your chance to dodge by 100% for 1 sec.

Cooldown increased to 15 seconds (from 9 seconds).

*sigh*

This is going to be annoying when starting the Mythic difficulty of the Dungeons in Shadowlands to prepare for the release of the new Keystone season.  So this gets nerfed along with the talent choice of the bleed dot to chaos dmg over time.  And Fel Barrage get's a cap limit of 5 enemies.  The level 40 talent choices can somewhat buff the ability for a short duration pending on line up of rotation.  I guess pending on gear choice, soul conduits, and covenant abilities will determine max dps output for select content.  And I take this with a grain of salt because this is Alpha and I know more changes will be coming along the way.  Still doesn't mean I am not going to be playing my Main and giving up on the class entirely.

I am not sure if i like these changes. "Bombing" is what i really really love in wow! I allways try to optimize my talents and gear arround it with my BM. I get the idea behind it but in my opinion there should be other mechanics to make big pulls harder or more punishing (like affixes for examble). I am afraid it will feel like we are getting weaker and not that the enemys actually feel harder because i will allways compare it to crazy bombing experiences i had in the past.  Rotating affixes are a so well designed way to deal with the fact that there are stronger and weaker "bomb" classes and playstyles. Classes should have different strenghts and weaknesses, that is a good thing! We dont want more or less similar classes or specs in general! BUT its important that these different and individual playstyles also have the same amount of content where they can really shine! Rotating affixes which adress these different playstyles are a much better and more interesting solution in my opinion!