Classic Mage DPS Guide
Welcome to our Mage DPS guide for WoW Classic, tailored for PvE content. Here, you will learn how all you need to know to play the Mage class as DPS. We will go over your spells and your talents, explaining what to take and how to use them. We also delve into aspects such as stats, enchants, and gear.
1. Mage DPS Overview
Mages are, arguably, the best ranged DPS class in WoW Classic. Sporting impressive PvE DPS from the start, due to strong talents such as Elemental Precision, Mages are also full of tricks, such as Polymorph, Blink and Ice Block, which are useful in PvE and unrivaled for PvP, when in the hands of a master. Finally, they have great convenience tools, such as Teleport: Stormwind, or the group version Portal: Stormwind, and Conjure Water or Conjure Food.
2. Mage Strengths
- Highest ranged damage potential in the game, all the way from the start as a Frost Mage (roughly tied with Hunters in early Molten Core parses), down to the finish as Fire Mage (unrivaled ranged damage in Naxxramas).
- Has tools for every type of situation and convenience, as well as the best Crowd Control tools in the game.
- One of the classes where your skill matters the most, ahead of every other aspect.
3. Mage Weaknesses
- Squishiest class in the game. If you are caught off-guard you can die in the blink of an eye, watch out for Ambush!
- Very Mana hungry, especially while leveling, which forces you to rest and drink often.
- For most high-end PvE content, you will be stuck spamming either Frostbolt or Fireball, which can get boring after a while.
4. Best Races for Alliance Mages
- Gnome is the best race for Alliance Mages, due to Expansive Mind, which increases Intellect by 5%, leading to a larger Mana pool and higher critical strike chance. Their racial ability, Escape Artist, is also a deal breaker in PvP, where being caught means death. Finally, they also have Engineering Specialization, which is quite useful in WoW Classic, due to the power of Engineering.
- Human is weaker than Gnome in every aspect, so we would only recommend you to play it if you really enjoy their look and feel.
5. Best Races for Horde Mages
- Troll is the best PvE race for Horde Mages, due to Berserking's DPS increase. Beast Slaying is also a nice boost whenever you are fighting beasts.
- Undead is, arguably, the best PvP race for Horde Mages, as Will of the Forsaken provides a way to break out of dangerous crowd control effects, which can otherwise spell your doom.
6. Best Professions for Mages
Engineering is the one must-have profession if you care about powerful combat tools such as Goblin Sapper Charge, Arcanite Dragonling and Hyper-Radiant Flame Reflector. It also provides great convenience through Dimensional Ripper - Everlook and Ultrasafe Transporter: Gadgetzan. All of these tools are only usable by Engineers, which makes it the #1 profession for Mages in WoW Classic, at maximum level.
First Aid will also be very useful for self-healing, which is something Mages lack. Use it early and often for speedier leveling and recovery in general.
Besides Engineering, Mining, Herbalism, and Skinning are all great to make gold, as all you need to do is gather materials while playing the game, no investment required. Fishing can be learned by anyone and can also turn a tidy profit if you are able to farm rare, in-demand fish, such as Stonescale Eel.
Alchemy is our recommended crafting profession, due to the convenience and gold making potential of potions and flasks, but also due to Transmute: Arcanite's ability to act as a steady source of income, with minimal effort required.
Tailoring deserves a special mention for Mages due to Robe of the Archmage, one of the best pre-raid chests, and which requires self-crafting as it is bind on pickup. Feel free to drop the profession after you craft it, since it does not require Tailoring to be used.
Enchanting is also especially powerful for Mages, compared to other classes, as you can farm a ton of materials by soloing Dungeons, as explained in our goldmaking page. Mages are also great for farming Cooking materials with their strong area of effect kit.
Blacksmithing and Leatherworking are all valuable in their own rights, but unless you have a rare pattern, it will be hard to make much money off them.
- 16 Aug. 2019 (gear page): Added new special gear to the list and changed its position to the bottom of the guide.
- 12 Aug. 2019 (enchants page): Added weapon enchant.
- 29 Jul. 2019 (enchants page): Corrected some text typos.
- 29 Jul. 2019 (this page): Changed the description of Gnomes slightly based on feedback.
- 29 Jul. 2019 (rotation page): Corrected some text typos.
- 29 Jul. 2019 (stats page): Corrected some text typos.
- 30 Jun. 2019 (spells page): Page added.
- 30 Jun. 2019 (rotation page): Page added.
- 30 Jun. 2019 (this page): Page added.
- 30 Jun. 2019 (enchants page): Page added.
- 30 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Page added.
- 30 Jun. 2019 (gear page): Page added.
- 30 Jun. 2019 (stats page): Page added.
- New Realms Coming for WoW Classic: August 19th
- WoW Classic Content Hub
- WoW Classic Glossary
- WoW Classic Realms Population Report: August 17th
- Fan-Made WoW Classic Trailer
- Blizzard Urges Players to Stay Away from Herod (US) & Shazzrah (EU)
- WoW Classic Beta & Stress Test Bug Fixes
- Thex Meme Takes WoW Classic by Storm