WoW Classic Best Paladin Weapons Guide
Paladins benefit heavily from weapon upgrades, especially as Retribution. Weapon upgrades are the most important upgrades to get while leveling, meaning it is extremely important to know where your next weapon is coming from.
Paladin Weapon Skills
Paladins know how to use their starting melee weapons when created, but they can also learn how to use many other weapon types from Weapon Masters around the world.
|Weapon Master location
|Weapon Skills available
|Ironforge (around 62,89)
|Stormwind (around 57,57)
Like most melee classes, Paladins benefit heavily from weapon upgrades. Higher level weapons will almost always be better since weapon damage is the most important stat to look at, meaning even higher level common weapons will sometimes be upgrades over what you are currently using.
Swords for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins can use swords, and especially as Human swords will be a preferred weapon to use due to your Sword Specialization racial. Besides the racial, most weapons come down to the weapon itself for the stats and weapon damage.
Axes for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins can use axes, but most weapons come down to the weapon itself for the stats and weapon damage.
Maces for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins can use maces, and especially as Human maces will be a preferred weapon to use due to your Mace Specialization racial. Besides the racial, most weapons come down to the weapon itself for the stats and weapon damage.
Shields for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins can use shields, but they are used either as Holy for stats or as Protection to tank. It is always worth keeping a 1H and shield on your just in case you ever need to tank.
Polearms for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins can use polearms, but most weapons come down to the weapon itself for the stats and weapon damage.
Wands for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins cannot use wands.
Staves for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins cannot use staves.
Daggers for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins cannot use daggers.
Crossbows for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins cannot use crossbows.
Bows for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins cannot use bows.
Guns for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins cannot use guns.
Thrown Weapons for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins cannot use thrown weapons.
Fist Weapons for WoW Classic Paladins
Paladins cannot use fist weapons.
Leveling Weapons for Paladins in WoW Classic
As stated above, look for 2H weapons that have high weapon damage. It is also worthwhile to look for 1H weapons with +Holy Damage, +Healing for Holy, and you should want to keep a shield around for when you need to tank something. The best way to get weapon upgrades while leveling is to check the Auction House to buy weapons there. Paladins can spend extra gold since they do not need to save for a mount at level 40, meaning you can throw more gold at weapon upgrades.
For more leveling information, please refer to our leveling guide for Paladins.
End-Game Weapons for Paladins in WoW Classic
Paladins will use a few different end game weapons depending on spec. Ret Paladins will want high damage, slow 2H weapons. Holy Paladins will completely focus on +Healing, and Protection Paladins will want a fast 1H with a high level shield.
If you look at the BiS lists for Paladins, you will see that most of the lists include the rank 14 PvP weapons such as the Grand Marshal's Claymore. These are extremely powerful weapons, can easily be BiS in both PvP and PvE content. However, they are without question the hardest items in the game to obtain, requiring months of dedicated play to be able to acquire them. Very few people will every be able to earn these weapons, so do not focus too much on them as they are out of reach for the vast majority of players. Below are some of the best alternatives.
- Arcanite Reaper is going to be your best pre-raid BiS weapon as Ret. The fastest option is to buy it, but you can also level Blacksmithing to make it yourself.
- Eventually, your best option as Ret is going to be Ashkandi, Greatsword of the Brotherhood from Nefarian in Blackwing Lair. This sword is actually comparable in damage to Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros, but Sulfuras will still be better if you are lucky enough to have it.
- Protection Paladins will want to go for Quel'Serrar as their weapon, which can be obtained from the Dire Maul quest chain The Forging of Quel'Serrar. If you are lucky enough though, Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker is going to be your best weapon available for all of WoW Classic. There are many solid shield options, but the best will be Elementium Reinforced Bulwark from Chromaggus in Blackwing Lair.
- Holy Paladins will want to go for Lok'amir il Romathis from Nefarian in Blackwing Lair, along with the Lei of the Lifegiver from being exalted with the Alterac Valley faction. The main hand will take you some time to obtain since Nefarian is a difficult boss, but the off-hand is just from a reputation grind, and will be used for multiple phases!
You can check the complete list for each type of Paladin weapon at itemization.info, a website that can filter weapons and armor pieces by phase, class, slot, and basically any parameter that you would need.
For more end-game gearing information, please refer to our gearing guide for Paladins.
- 24 Feb. 2020: Updated for Phase 3.
- 06 Oct. 2019: Page added.
- Upcoming Season of Discovery Phase 2 Class Tuning: February 27th
- WoW Hardcore Self-Found Mode Begins February 29th
- Dragonflight 10.2.5 and Season of Discovery Hotfixes, February 21st
- Gnomeregan Trinket Sends Player to Forbidden Zones in SoD Phase 2
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: February 20th
- Blizzard Acknowledges Gnomeregan Raid Lockout Bug
- Blizzard on AoE Threat in SoD Phase 2
- Season of Discovery and Classic Era Hotfixes: February 16th