Classic Warrior Tank Guide
Welcome to our Warrior Tank guide for WoW Classic, tailored for PvE content. Here, you will learn how all you need to know to play the Warrior class as Tank. We will go over your spells and your talents, explaining what to take and how to use them. We also delve into aspects such as stats, enchants, and gear.
1. Warrior Tank Overview
Warriors are the undisputed kings of WoW Classic tanking, being capable of swapping between excellent defensive capabilities plus decent threat building, or excellent threat building plus decent defensive capabilities. They also have multiple ways to taunt back enemies, or otherwise catch up and crowd control them before casualties happen among their allies.
2. Warrior Strengths as a Tank
- Can have the smoothest damage intake in WoW Classic, due to the ability to push critical hits and crushing blows completely off the table with Shield Block, without requiring huge amounts of defense to do so.
- Is able to swap from the best defense discussed above, into a very offensive style supported by consumables and world buffs, capable of outputting massive threat.
3. Warrior Weaknesses as a Tank
- More unforgiving of mistakes or improper play compared to other tanks, especially when using an offensive build that only uses shield when needed.
- Gearing can be difficult, due to the high popularity of Warriors in groups.
4. Best Races for Alliance Warrior Tanks
- Human is the best catch-all race for PvE in the Alliance, as the extra weapon skill from Sword Specialization and Mace Specialization is a huge damage increase, leading to more Rage to use, both offensively and defensively. If your interest mainly lies in PvP, with some PvE tanking on the side, pick one of the other races, however.
- Dwarf has Stoneform, which is a strong defensive ability, especially against Rogues (disables Blind) and Princess Huhuran (disables her powerful poison attacks). While it lacks Human's offensive power, it has higher baseline Stamina and Strength, and can be considered the Alliance's most defensive race.
- Night Elf has Quickness for slightly increased dodge chance, and Shadowmeld has its niche uses, making Night Elf a decent choice for tanking.
- Gnome has Engineering Specialization, which is quite useful in WoW Classic, due to the power of this profession. Their active ability, Escape Artist, breaks root effects, which are usually very annoying for Warriors, especially in PvP. Unfortunately, neither of these bonuses is very good for tanking.
5. Best Races for Horde Warrior Tanks
- Tauren are often considered the best Horde tank due to the extra health from Endurance, and they also have a useful area of effect stun in War Stomp, as well as a head start on Herbalism with Cultivation. Also, keep in mind Taurens have larger hitboxes than other races, allowing them to hit, and be hit, from 2 yards further than other races. This can be a blessing, when trying to reach moving enemies, or a curse, when trying to run away from them. Overall, Taurens make for strong tanks, but lack Orc's and Troll's threat-building abilities, which are especially important on Horde, due to the lack of Blessing of Salvation and the extra DPS brought by Windfury Totem.
- Orc can be a strong threat-builder, due to Axe Specialization providing a permanent DPS and hit chance increase when using axes. However, what really makes Orc a great pick is that it is also a very good PvP race, and the best PvE damage dealer, making it the best catch-all choice in the Horde. Keep in mind that Blood Fury is not good for tanks, as it causes you to receive 50% less healing for 25 seconds.
- Troll is a strong choice for main tanking in PvE, as Berserking can easily be activated for its full value while tanking, providing a massive increase in burst threat. Outside of this niche, however, Troll is fairly weak in most situations.
- Undead is the weakest tank overall. Will of the Forsaken, while generally very strong, is mostly forgettable for warriors, who can use Berserker Rage to achieve the same result (fear immunity) on a much shorter cooldown. Undead are good for PvP, however, as you can never have enough crowd-control breaking tools against other players.
6. Best Professions for Warrior Tanks
Engineering is the one must-have profession if you care about powerful combat tools such as Goblin Sapper Charge, Arcanite Dragonling, and Hyper-Radiant Flame Reflector. It also provides great convenience through Dimensional Ripper - Everlook and Ultrasafe Transporter: Gadgetzan. All of these tools are only usable by Engineers, which makes it the top profession for maximizing your performance in WoW Classic, at maximum level.
First Aid will also be very useful for self-healing, which is something Warriors lack. Use it early and often for faster leveling and recovery in general.
Besides Engineering, Mining, Herbalism, and Skinning are all great to make gold, as all you need to do is gather materials while playing the game, with no investment required. Fishing can be learned by anyone and can also turn a tidy profit if you are able to farm rare, in-demand fish, such as Stonescale Eel.
Alchemy is our recommended crafting profession, due to the convenience and gold making potential of potions and flasks, but also due to Transmute: Arcanite's ability to act as a steady source of income, with minimal effort required.
Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, Tailoring, Enchanting, and Cooking are all valuable in their own rights, but unless you have a rare pattern, it will be hard to make much money off them.
- 16 Aug. 2019 (gear page): Added new special gear to the list and changed the position of this list to the bottom of the guide.
- 12 Aug. 2019 (enchants page): Changed the recommended enchants based on feedback.
- 28 Jul. 2019 (stats page): Added information on the white hit critical strike cap.
- 21 Jul. 2019 (gear page): Removed some weak gear recommendations to make the best in slot list more accurate and easy to read.
- 20 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Changed the balanced talent build based on feedback.
- 20 Jul. 2019 (stats page): Corrected some theorycraft due to feedback.
- 16 Jul. 2019 (gear page): Updated some gear recommendations.
- 16 Jul. 2019 (enchants page): Fixed a typo on the description of Goblin Sapper Charge and added Blessed Sunfruit.
- 15 Jul. 2019 (this page): Added more information on the available races, their strengths and weaknesses.
- 18 Jun. 2019 (this page): Added notes about Professions.
- 12 Jun. 2019 (rotation page): Page added.
- 12 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Page added.
- 12 Jun. 2019 (gear page): Page added.
- 12 Jun. 2019 (spells page): Page added.
- 12 Jun. 2019 (this page): Page added.
- 12 Jun. 2019 (stats page): Page added.
- 12 Jun. 2019 (enchants page): Page added.
- New Realms Coming for WoW Classic: August 19th
- WoW Classic Content Hub
- WoW Classic Glossary
- WoW Classic Realms Population Report: August 17th
- Fan-Made WoW Classic Trailer
- Blizzard Urges Players to Stay Away from Herod (US) & Shazzrah (EU)
- WoW Classic Beta & Stress Test Bug Fixes
- Thex Meme Takes WoW Classic by Storm