Classic Restoration Shaman Healer Guide
Welcome to our Restoration Shaman Healer guide for WoW Classic, tailored for PvE content. Here, you will learn how all you need to know to play the Shaman class as Restoration Healer. We will go over your spells and your talents, explaining what to take and how to use them. We also delve into aspects such as stats, enchants, and gear.
1. Restoration Shaman Healer Overview
Shamans are, arguably, the best support class in WoW Classic. With their powerful and flexible totems, such as Windfury Totem, Tremor Totem and Poison Cleansing Totem, they keep their allies safe and increase their damage potential significantly.
While only Horde players can be Shamans, every group will benefit immensely from having at least one, and due to totems only being able to affect one group at a time, a 40 man raid will want to have at least 8 Shamans to have totems in every group.
This guide will be covering Restoration Shamans, the best area of effect healer in WoW Classic and, arguably, the most powerful role a Shaman can assume in the end game.
2. Restoration Shaman Strengths
- The highest area of effect healing in the game with Chain Heal, from Molten Core to Naxxramas.
- Totems for every type of situation, including Windfury Totem, one of the greatest DPS increases a group can have in WoW Classic.
- Great support tools even outside of totems, such as Earth Shock and Purge, which contribute to the high skill cap of the class.
3. Restoration Shaman Weaknesses
- Weak sustained damage-dealing potential pigeon-holes most Shamans into healing in raids.
- Mana hungry, especially while leveling, which forces you to rest or drink often.
- Squishy and has no real escapes once focused.
4. Best Races for Restoration Shamans
Unlike other classes, Shamans can only be played in the Horde faction, so plan accordingly and search for a Horde guild if you want to roll one.
- Beast Slaying gives a 5% damage bonus against Beasts.
- Berserking is a 3-minute cooldown that gives you between 10-30% increased attack and casting speed depending on your health, with the effect being greater the more hurt you are.
- Bow Specialization increases your skill with Bows by 5.
- Regeneration gives +10% passive health regeneration and allows you to regenerate 10% of your total health regeneration during combat.
Trolls are the best choice if your goal is to maximize your PvE throughput, due to Berserking, which makes your casts much faster every time it is up. Unfortunately, none of the other bonuses is very impactful, and Orc has some really good PvP bonuses, so pick Troll if you want to focus on PvE!
- Axe Specialization increases your skill with axes by 5, which increases your chance to land a blow on a target with axes.
- Blood Fury is a 2-minute cooldown that increases your base melee attack power by 25% for 15 seconds and reduces healing effects on you by 50% for 25 seconds.
- Command increases your pet damage by 5%.
- Hardiness increases your chance to resist stuns by 25%.
Orc is the go-to PvP race choice for Shaman, due to Hardiness, which allows you to often ignore stun effects. This is a deal-breaker effect, especially against Rogues. While Axe Specialization and Blood Fury are good bonuses to have as a melee DPS, they are not of much importance to Restoration Shamans.
- Cultivation increases your Herbalism skill by 15.
- Endurance increases your total health by 5%.
- Nature Resistance increases your Nature Resistance by 10.
- War Stomp is a 2-minute cooldown that stuns up to 5 enemies within 8 yards for 2 seconds, with a 0.5 second cast time.
- Due to their large sizes, Tauren have a larger hitbox than other races, which allows you to hit, and be hit from further afar. This can be great when trying to chase a target or problematic when trying to flee from melee enemies.
War Stomp can be a great ability for PvP, allowing you to get Lesser Healing Wave off in an emergency, and the 5% increased health from Endurance is nice, but Tauren does not give any throughput increase, which makes it an all-rounder choice if you dislike the other races.
5. Best Professions for Restoration Shamans
Enchanting is the one must-have profession if you care about powerful combat tools such as Goblin Sapper Charge, Arcanite Dragonling and Hyper-Radiant Flame Reflector. It also provides great convenience through Dimensional Ripper - Everlook and Ultrasafe Transporter: Gadgetzan. All of these tools are only usable by Engineers, which makes it the #1 profession for Restoration Shamans in WoW Classic, at maximum level.
First Aid can also be useful for Mana-less self-healing, allowing your Mana regeneration to continue. Use it early and often for speedier leveling and recovery in general.
Besides Engineering, Mining, Herbalism, and Skinning are all great to make gold, as all you need to do is gather materials while playing the game, no investment required. Fishing can be learned by anyone and can also turn a tidy profit if you can farm rare, in-demand fish, such as Stonescale Eel.
Alchemy is our recommended crafting profession, due to the convenience and gold making potential of potions and flasks, but also due to Transmute: Arcanite's ability to act as a steady source of income, with minimal effort required.
Enchanting, Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, and Tailoring are all valuable in their own rights, but unless you have a rare pattern, it will be hard to make much money off them.
- 16 Aug. 2019 (gear page): Added new special gear to the list and changed the position of this list to the bottom of the guide.
- 12 Aug. 2019 (enchants page): Added weapon and shield enchants.
- 03 Aug. 2019 (rotation page): Added information on the Spell Damage and Healing penalty when using spells learned before Level 20, as well as further Totem Twisting insights.
- 03 Aug. 2019 (spells page): Added additional spells and respective descriptions.
- 02 Aug. 2019 (talents page): Page added.
- 02 Aug. 2019 (spells page): Page added.
- 02 Aug. 2019 (this page): Page added.
- 02 Aug. 2019 (enchants page): Page added.
- 02 Aug. 2019 (stats page): Page added.
- 02 Aug. 2019 (rotation page): Page added.
- 02 Aug. 2019 (gear page): Page added.
- WoW Classic Realm Population Hub
- WoW Classic Addons: ClassicLFG
- WoW Classic Realms Population Report: August 21st
- Classic WoW AMA Recap: August 20th
- Blizzard Addressed Layering Concerns
- Intended Player Cap for Dungeons in Classic WoW
- An Introduction to Professions in WoW Classic
- New Realms Coming for WoW Classic: August 19th